• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh and/or his special teams coach were as much to blame as the punter, yes. UM stupidly had gunners on the outside blocking nobody (MSU had no one back to field the punt). That allowed MSU's corner guy free access to the punter, knocking it out of his hands when he picked it up.
We shall no more of that play. Forever

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Tigers missed a chance last night. ShUT out again. Bad base running. 0 for 10 RISP.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez needs a good outing today. Real good.
Or he will be the odd man out of rotation when zimmy comes back Saturday. .. IF IF zimmy is back to being zimmy.

Reactions: BUD

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall no more of that play. Forever

SmoothBlandBasilisk.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh and/or his special teams coach were as much to blame as the punter, yes. UM stupidly had gunners on the outside blocking nobody (MSU had no one back to field the punt). That allowed MSU's corner guy free access to the punter, knocking it out of his hands when he picked it up.

I think you need to watch that replay again. No one knocked it out of his hands, he fumbled the snap, struggled picking it up and once he did he turned and basically threw it into the arms of the MSU player. He never controlled the ball after it was snapped to him.

And only one gunner was by himself -- because as a rugby style punter, he was supposed to roll toward the opposite side to kick (take a look at the blocking of the 3 guys in front of him.)

MSU fans seem to think they blocked the kick or had a shot to block it even if he caught it clean and that isn't the case at all. The mistake had nothing to do with coaches or what MSU did and the punter just flat out choked and dropped the snap. It was a fluke play and sucks for UM fans, but it happened and it is, what it is.

If MSU had blocked the punt and ran it back for a touchdown -- I could see blaming the coaches. Unfortunately for UM's punter -- everything was perfect on the play, but he choked.

Reactions: BUD

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez needs a good outing today. Real good.
Or he will be the odd man out of rotation when zimmy comes back Saturday. .. IF IF zimmy is back to being zimmy.

Zimmy seems like he is back -- gave up 7 runs in 4 innings his last start in triple A. I say, shut him down and let him get completely healthy. Between Fulmer, Boyd and Norris -- Detroit has like 270 IP and a 3.25 ERA in their starts. Let's roll with the young bucks and not rush Zimmerman.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmy seems like he is back -- gave up 7 runs in 4 innings his last start in triple A. I say, shut him down and let him get completely healthy. Between Fulmer, Boyd and Norris -- Detroit has like 270 IP and a 3.25 ERA in their starts. Let's roll with the young bucks and not rush Zimmerman.

Good idea. They should pitch Fulmer a lot. Maybe just go to a four man rotation with those three and Verlander from here on out.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 2 runs were earned

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need to watch that replay again. No one knocked it out of his hands, he fumbled the snap, struggled picking it up and once he did he turned and basically threw it into the arms of the MSU player. He never controlled the ball after it was snapped to him.

I think YOU need to watch the ESPN Sports Science video on the play. "Contact from Miller causes O'Neill's arm to flail back into the ball... this impact launches it 18 feet..." Also notice THREE Spartans completely unblocked on the left side. In the wide shot, there is a UM gunner WAAAAAYYY the hell out to the left.

Not discounting O'Neill's stupidity in trying to pick up the ball rather than fall on it. Yes, he panicked and choked, but UM's formation at least contributed to the problem.

Sport Science: Michigan's botched punt - ESPN Video

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think YOU need to watch the ESPN Sports Science video on the play. "Contact from Miller causes O'Neill's arm to flail back into the ball... this impact launches it 18 feet..." Also notice THREE Spartans completely unblocked on the left side. In the wide shot, there is a UM gunner WAAAAAYYY the hell out to the left.

Not discounting O'Neill's stupidity in trying to pick up the ball rather than fall on it. Yes, he panicked and choked, but UM's formation at least contributed to the problem.

Nah. The snap was a little low and O'Neill drops it. Had he caught the snap cleanly, it would have been close, but I think he would have gotten the punt off.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The formation didn't cause him to drop the snap and the punt was rugby style and GOING TO THE RIGHT, completely away from MSU's guys in the left. Watch the blockers in front of UM's punter and you can see where he was supposed to go if he hadn't dropped the snap.

It is quite simple, catch the snap and the game was over. It was a fluke play and it gave MSU the win. While mad that UM lost, I was very happy with the game as a whole, because I didn't think UM had a shot, let alone only lose because of a fluke play. I'm not a fan of moral victories, but that game told me UM was heading in the right direction.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They never should've punted in the first place.

I disagree. It would have given MSU the ball with a chance at a Hail Mary to win the game. That is more likely to happen than a punter who had never fumbled a snap completely choking and doing exactly that.

It was just a fluke play and it is, what it is.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't just "MSU fans think..." Multiple analysts stated that UoM had the wrong formation for the way MSU was defending the punt.

Fluke play, for sure. But if Miller doesn't have an unobstructed path to the punter, perhaps the ball never gets to J.W. Jackson.

Okay, I will be done with the topic now.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ever question jimbo khaki pants. He is never wrong. Dumb punter.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It would have given MSU the ball with a chance at a Hail Mary to win the game. That is more likely to happen than a punter who had never fumbled a snap completely choking and doing exactly that.

It was just a fluke play and it is, what it is.
They could've ran around and chucked it deep out of bounds. Ballgame.

Or ran around and out the back of the endzone.

Or... Not bothered with punt coverage personnel, as there wasn't a return man.

That one was on Jimbo Khakipants imo.