• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug, would you say the smart money is on Cleveland to take the AL Central? Would you agree that Detroit has a better chance at getting a Wild Card spot that a division title? If so...maybe it is time for you to go to the AL East (and West) Discussion Threads and "straighten them out" on who is the team to beat. Perhaps some other Tiger fans would join you? Lead the way, doug!!!!

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug, would you say the smart money is on Cleveland to take the AL Central? Would you agree that Detroit has a better chance at getting a Wild Card spot that a division title? If so...maybe it is time for you to go to the AL East (and West) Discussion Threads and "straighten them out" on who is the team to beat. Perhaps some other Tiger fans would join you? Lead the way, doug!!!!
No. I would not say that

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fullmera nd Naquin seem to be limping to the finish linein the ROY race...any other prime contenders besides those 2?
You talking like iffy now. Slurring your words

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tribe tied at 1-1 in the bottom of 3.

would be nice to salvage a split of this series and get the lead up to a full 6 games. It all comes down to those 7 games vs. the Tigers though.

As long as the Tribe does not lose the vast majority of those games they should be fine- and considering the Tribe seems to have the Tigers number this year and the Tribe's vastly superior starting pitching and bullpen I cant see them going into a protracted slump and giving back so many games absent some pretty crazy circumstances.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tribe tied at 1-1 in the bottom of 3.

would be nice to salvage a split of this series and get the lead up to a full 6 games. It all comes down to those 7 games vs. the Tigers though.

As long as the Tribe does not lose the vast majority of those games they should be fine- and considering the Tribe seems to have the Tigers number this year and the Tribe's vastly superior starting pitching and bullpen I cant see them going into a protracted slump and giving back so many games absent some pretty crazy circumstances.
Don't be such a homer

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FanGraphs has the Tigers with a 4.9% chance to win the division.

And @black francis, don't give up hope, Royals still have a 0.1% chance of taking the ALC!
No. I would not say that

OK doug, fair enough. You still think smart money (or at least your money) is on Detroit to take the division.

SO...HOW ABOUT TAKING THAT BET WITH SLINKY ABOUT WHO WINS THE AL CENTRAL? PUT YOUR SMART MONEY UP AGAINST HIS. LET'S SEE IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THE 'SACK' SLINKY SAYS YOU HAVE LOST.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be such a homer
hmmm...I do not think its being a homer pointing out that the Tribe has owned the Tigers thus far this year and has a lot better starting pitching and bullpen.

I did see Zimmerman just got activated so maybe he can get in rhythym and help out the Tigers staff a little bit---- but its really hard to make up 6 games in the loss column in less than a month- especially when the team you are above is running out 4 starters like Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar and Bauer- and a bullpen headlined by Miller, Allen and Shaw.

Verlander has undoubtedly been great- but he just does not have much help in the rotation after that. Fullmer has had a brilliant rookie year but hes thrown the most innings in his career and is understandably fatiguing. Zimmerman has been hurt- and the rest of the Tigers rotation are replacement level guys....the Tigers bullpen is pretty sub-par as well as we have seen lately.

The Tigers hitting was supposed to be their trump card over the Indians- but that has just not been the case this year due to guys like Napoli, Davis, Santana, Naquin, Ramirez all considerably out performing their expectations- coupled with the Tribe's stars like Lindor and Kipnis having excellent years.

I do not normally think a manager has a material effect- but i do think Francona is pretty damn good- especially at building the right clubhouse chemistry.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LET'S SEE IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THE 'SACK' SLINKY SAYS YOU HAVE LOST.

Oh, it's not what I say. It's been proven over and over.

The only thing that cat knows about nuts he learned from a can of Planters.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm...I do not think its being a homer pointing out that the Tribe has owned the Tigers thus far this year and has a lot better starting pitching and bullpen.

I did see Zimmerman just got activated so maybe he can get in rhythym and help out the Tigers staff a little bit---- but its really hard to make up 6 games in the loss column in less than a month- especially when the team you are above is running out 4 starters like Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar and Bauer- and a bullpen headlined by Miller, Allen and Shaw.

Verlander has undoubtedly been great- but he just does not have much help in the rotation after that. Fullmer has had a brilliant rookie year but hes thrown the most innings in his career and is understandably fatiguing. Zimmerman has been hurt- and the rest of the Tigers rotation are replacement level guys....the Tigers bullpen is pretty sub-par as well as we have seen lately.

The Tigers hitting was supposed to be their trump card over the Indians- but that has just not been the case this year due to guys like Napoli, Davis, Santana, Naquin, Ramirez all considerably out performing their expectations- coupled with the Tribe's stars like Lindor and Kipnis having excellent years.

I do not normally think a manager has a material effect- but i do think Francona is pretty damn good- especially at building the right clubhouse chemistry.
Do they have better starting pitching and bullpen?

They did. and Detroit had the better offense. But I don't think the numbers show that in the second half.

Cleveland has scored more and Detroit has given up less.

Running Danny Salazar out there isn't much different than running Anibal Sanchez out there. And he might be done starting. Depending on how much Zimmerman sucks this return from the DL.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't believe doug is just all talk. He has been called a cheerleader...but I thought, maybe, just maybe, he really believed in what he says about the Tigers. Sadly, I suppose, he may think a "fan" is just someone who blows a lot of smoke and spouts off. EVEN IF HE REALLY DOESN"T BELIEVE what he is saying. (The definition of a 'homer'?)

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running Danny Salazar out there isn't much different than running Anibal Sanchez out there. And he might be done starting. Depending on how much Zimmerman sucks this return from the DL.

I don't have a lot of faith in Zimmermann adding much down the stretch...considering his last start in Toledo. In fact, it isn't out of reach to consider that Zimmermann and Fulmer could be making their last starts, of the season, this weekend. I'm hoping for Fulmer to at least make it to the first Indian series....but he'll need a strong performance Friday to get that far.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did. and Detroit had the better offense. But I don't think the numbers show that in the second half.

Cleveland has scored more and Detroit has given up less.

well i think those pitching numbers are skewed due to Tomlin losing his shit in August and Salazar going into a slump.

Im basing it off the recent performances of Carrasco and Salazar which seem to indicate they are back-or close to- pitching at their expected level of performance as strongly above average starters. Miller has actually given up runs in his last 2 appearances as well- but going forward over these last 3+ weeks you cant tell me that a core pitching staff of Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, Bauer, Miller, Allen, Shaw is not superior to Verlander, Fullmer, Sanchez, Zimmerman (?), Krod, Rondon, Wilson (are those the Tigers 3 highest leverage relievers?)...

When all is said and done- i think you would have to agree that I trust the Indians pitching staff and the Tigers offense more so than the Indians offense and the Tigers pitching staff.....though you are definitely right when you describe their performance since the ASB.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't believe doug is just all talk. He has been called a cheerleader...but I thought, maybe, just maybe, he really believed in what he says about the Tigers. Sadly, I suppose, he may think a "fan" is just someone who blows a lot of smoke and spouts off. EVEN IF HE REALLY DOESN"T BELIEVE what he is saying. (The definition of a 'homer'?)
he cant really believe what he is saying...

i mean- Tigers definitely are not out of the race for the Central- and as there are 7 games between the teams anything can happen- but to not acknowledge the Indians are substantial favorites to win the division at this point is just denying the obvious.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians up 4-2. Threatening more in the bottom of the 4th. Razor sharp, break one off, yada, yada, yada.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've neither the time nor inclination to breakout the splits for rotation/bullpen 2nd half splits, but as a staff, there's no doubt Tigers have been better.

Team ERA Post All-Star Break
CLE - 4.12
DET - 3.52

In fact, Tigers' ERA is league best in that time, and the Indians is only slightly better than average. August was particularly bad for Indians' pitchers - 0.40 ERA worse than league average.

Running Danny Salazar out there isn't much different than running Anibal Sanchez out there.

Yes it is.