• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when ''winning'' 20 games meant something for a pitcher, WINS had a use as a pitching stat. But now, gaining 20 wins is becoming a very rare occurrence. You can be a dominating pitcher, and if your offense is not backing you, getting 20 wins in approx 32 starts is near impossible. Porcello will end up with 20+ wins because he gets run support. Bumgarner will have an ERA a run lower, and won't get near 20 wins.
But if you get 20 wins you'll probably get a lot of first place votes for the Cy Young.

/flips coin to @SlinkyRedfoot

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when ''winning'' 20 games meant something for a pitcher, WINS had a use as a pitching stat. But now, gaining 20 wins is becoming a very rare occurrence. You can be a dominating pitcher, and if your offense is not backing you, getting 20 wins in approx 32 starts is near impossible. Porcello will end up with 20+ wins because he gets run support. Bumgarner will have an ERA a run lower, and won't get near 20 wins.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Winning 20 used to mean something. Not now iffy???? They change the distance of the base paths? The baseball change size??? Tell us more iffy..
BAHHHHWAAAA

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, I've always thought Jacob's Field was a great park, but the improvements they've made over the last two years are just awesome.

If you haven't been there in awhile, you should check it out again.

Sincerely,

Indians' ownership

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, I've always thought Jacob's Field was a great park, but the improvements they've made over the last two years are just awesome.

If you haven't been there in awhile, you should check it out again.

Sincerely,

Indians' ownership
Peter Angelos is saying the same thing about Camden Yards.

How the fuck does a team in a pennant race for, what, the 4th time in 5 years average 16,000 fans over a 3 game set against the division leader in late August?

The Jays' "park" might be a fucking concrete dungeon but the three games I've been to this year (two with that stupid dome closed) have been fun as hell and there have been 40,000+ at each game.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, Kluber turned in another solid start, pushing his way into the CY discussion.

Since the All-Star break, he's started 10 games and is 7-0 with a 1.94 ERA and 75 Ks in 69.2 IP. If you're Broncosmitty, that's 10 Ks a game.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How the fuck does a team in a pennant race for, what, the 4th time in 5 years average 16,000 fans over a 3 game set against the division leader in late August?

The Jays' "park" might be a fucking concrete dungeon but the three games I've been to this year (two with that stupid dome closed) have been fun as hell and there have been 40,000+ at each game.

I was just kidding about the Indians' ownership bit.

The improvements are really fucking awesome. A lot of cool standing room "seating," some of the best concessions I've seen at any park, and the new video screens are great.

The weather was fantastic and the Indians finally shook the Twins Boogeymen with a sweep. Great night.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indians haven't had the same recent successes, but still, they drew less than 12k last night. They averaged 11,700 for the series. . .

Don't know what to say. I think Indians' ownership really killed their goodwill from the fans when they traded away back-to-back CY winners, Sabathia and Lee, then fan favorite, Victor Martinez, then responding to criticism by saying basically, "well, we'll spend money on players when fans start going to games."

They had to trade the pitchers - only stupid fans can begrudge them for that. I'm not so sure about Martinez - I think they could have made that work; he loved it here and likely would have given some kind of discount.

As far as saying that about spending money when fans start going to games, that was extra-moronic from a PR standpoint.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians haven't had the same recent successes, but still, they drew less than 12k last night. They averaged 11,700 for the series. . .

Don't know what to say. I think Indians' ownership really killed their goodwill from the fans when they traded away back-to-back CY winners, Sabathia and Lee, then fan favorite, Victor Martinez, then responding to criticism by saying basically, "well, we'll spend money on players when fans start going to games."

They had to trade the pitchers - only stupid fans can begrudge them for that. I'm not so sure about Martinez - I think they could have made that work; he loved it here and likely would have given some kind of discount.

As far as saying that about spending money when fans start going to games, that was extra-moronic from a PR standpoint.
Maybe after a competitive post-season they'll draw better next year. I dunno. All the same shit happened here and Jays attendance sunk pretty fucking low at one point (Jays were only averaging 20,000 in 2009 and lots of games were below 15k) but once even the idea that they were trying to win again became apparent fans came back.

Like you said, too good a park and too good a team to not be getting into it at this point.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe after a competitive post-season they'll draw better next year. I dunno. All the same shit happened here and Jays attendance sunk pretty fucking low at one point (Jays were only averaging 20,000 in 2009 and lots of games were below 15k) but once even the idea that they were trying to win again became apparent fans came back.

Like you said, too good a park and too good a team to not be getting into it at this point.

One thing I was thinking about while at the game and staring at all the empty seats: Cleveland has really been trying to make downtown a desirable place to live for young adults. The Indians have built a really cool "bar atmosphere" in right field and you can get a standing room only ticket for $13 that comes with your first beer. That's an awesome deal, but after you're done with that free 8oz beer, you're onto $10 for a large Miller Lite draft, which probably costs the Indians a quarter.

If I was a 25y/o living in downtown Cleveland, I would love to hang out at the park on a nice night, but 10$ Miller Lites are going to be cost prohibitive. If a team is filling their stands to an acceptable level, I can fully understand the exorbitant prices, but when they're not? Where's the business acumen on that deal? When I was taking business classes in college, I'm almost positive I remember them saying something or other about supply and demand.

I just don't get it. Anyone have any insight or ideas?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I was thinking about while at the game and staring at all the empty seats: Cleveland has really been trying to make downtown a desirable place to live for young adults. The Indians have built a really cool "bar atmosphere" in right field and you can get a standing room only ticket for $13 that comes with your first beer. That's an awesome deal, but after you're done with that free 8oz beer, you're onto $10 for a large Miller Lite draft, which probably costs the Indians a quarter.

If I was a 25y/o living in downtown Cleveland, I would love to hang out at the park on a nice night, but 10$ Miller Lites are going to be cost prohibitive. If a team is filling their stands to an acceptable level, I can fully understand the exorbitant prices, but when they're not? Where's the business acumen on that deal? When I was taking business classes in college, I'm almost positive I remember them saying something or other about supply and demand.

Money grubbing pricks...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think in a way they dont mind not getting tons of people drunk for cheap....if you want to pay 10$ for a beer i am sure they are more than happy to sell it to you- but having a ton of drunk fans on 4 dollar beers just opens up a can of worms...at least that is where my brain as a recently graduated law student goes thinking about it anyway.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think in a way they dont mind not getting tons of people drunk for cheap....if you want to pay 10$ for a beer i am sure they are more than happy to sell it to you- but having a ton of drunk fans on 4 dollar beers just opens up a can of worms...at least that is where my brain as a recently graduated law student goes thinking about it anyway.

Reasonable point. I'd like to think most folks could control themselves and behave like they're at a restaurant/bar, but they likely wouldn't and the Indians could lose the family draw I suppose.

On the other hand, I bought a 16oz bottle of Pepsi for $4. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd also like to add, I wasn't suggesting getting folks "drunk for cheap," but rather aligning their prices to the high end of reasonable bar prices. There's a lot of space between $2 and $10.