• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't positive on my response and wanted to look where all were ranked when we traded Price and Cespedes. The highest ranked prospect by a lot was Daniel Norris. They didn't give exact rankings, but baseball America said he was a top 50 prospect.

Boyd and Fulmer fell into the category of just missed the top 100 prospects in baseball, but were both in the top 10 for their organizations. They seemed to talk more highly of Fulmer, but they were pretty in the rankings it seems. I think the throw in for the Price trade was the low A pitcher who I think we've traded already. Can't remember his name. Think he struck out a lot of guys but had major control issues.

upload_2016-7-28_13-50-46.png

upload_2016-7-28_13-51-32.png

Matt Boyd - not ranked

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could put the whole team dancing. Seems like it is all of them who have hit Verlander this year. Everyone else has struggled.

Yeah, I know. In fact, Verlander has kind of always been the Indians' bitch. 4.70 career ERA - that is by far the highest ERA against teams he's pitched more than 100 innings against.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do pull him out of the rotation -- Detroit isn't making the playoffs. Him and Verlander have carried the rotation. If it weren't for Cleveland -- Verlander would be in the Cy Young conversation. Verlander is 10-4 with a 2.80 ERA in 19 starts, if you remove the last two Cleveland starts (9 2/3 IP 15 ER) They just have the Tigers number this year.

Then again, if you took away the worst starts for many of the pitchers better than Verlander this year, they'd still be ahead of Verlander and hence he probably wouldn't be in the Cy conversation.

If you took away Aaron Sanchez' 3 worst starts, his ERA would be 1.97
If you took away the 3 worst starts for Tanaka, his ERA would be 2.35
If you took away Hamels 2 bad starts vs the Twins, he'd have a 2.31 ERA
If you took away Sales' 3 worst starts (2 of them vs CLE and 1 vs the Braves), he'd had a 2.29 ERA

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, if you took away the worst starts for many of the pitchers better than Verlander this year, they'd still be ahead of Verlander and hence he probably wouldn't be in the Cy conversation.

If you took away Sales' 3 worst starts (2 of them vs CLE and 1 vs the Braves), he'd had a 2.29 ERA

So, what you're saying is that if it weren't for Cleveland, Verlander would be in the CY conversation, and that conversation would go something like this:

Q. Well, who do we know that won't win the CY?
A. Justin Verlander

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty. I looked at Baseball America for 2015. They had Fulmer and Boyd in their just outside the top 100 category.

I see I was mistaken though. Ty for posting that.

Came from Baseball-reference.com. I'm checking that site constantly.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize it'd be like for many and if I used 3 starts as u did for Sanchez, Tanaka and Sale -- his ERA would be in the 2.30 range as well.

I only mentioned his numbers sans the two Cleveland games is.......he has given up 2 runs or less in 11 of his last 15 starts, gave up 3 in 1 start and 4 in one start. The games that have blown up his era is the two Cleveland games -- he gave up 7 and 8 ER's.

Trust me -- I'm not saying Verlander is the Verlander of old, but now that he is healthy, he his velocity has creeped back and he is learning how to pitch.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me -- I'm not saying Verlander is the Verlander of old, but now that he is healthy, he his velocity has creeped back and he is learning how to pitch.

I expected a rebound season this year, but he has been doing even better than I expected.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what you're saying is that if it weren't for Cleveland, Verlander would be in the CY conversation, and that conversation would go something like this:

Q. Well, who do we know that won't win the CY?
A. Justin Verlander
Q who do we know won't win the central?
A. Indians

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd has/had dominated triple A. Has a 1.86 ERA over his last almost 200 IP. Fulmer was rated highly too, but had not pitched above Double A, when we acquired him. Fulmer was the pitcher of the year in Double A last year when we traded for him.

All three guys were highly regarded prospects. The crazy part is -- Fulmer was ranked as the 3rd or 4th best SP prospect for the Mets behind Matz and Wheeler, not even including Syndegaard, DeGrom, Harvey. The Mets have drafted some great pitching prospects.
I was kinda hoping for Wheeler last year. Even with the wait.

Glad I didn't get my wish.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize it'd be like for many and if I used 3 starts as u did for Sanchez, Tanaka and Sale -- his ERA would be in the 2.30 range as well.

I only mentioned his numbers sans the two Cleveland games is.......he has given up 2 runs or less in 11 of his last 15 starts, gave up 3 in 1 start and 4 in one start. The games that have blown up his era is the two Cleveland games -- he gave up 7 and 8 ER's.

He looks a lot more like 2013 Verlander, which is still a very good SP.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q who do we know won't win the central?
A. Indians

You're also the same person that claimed the Tigers would win their most recent series against the worst team in the A.L., the Twins. You're not good @ making predictions.