• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I see this vastly different than signing Uribe for a similar amount.

A cursory review of Maybin's numbers shows that 1) he's a well below average bat and 2) he doesn't play a lot of games. I'm curious as to why any team would consider him anything more than a replacement level player.

Now, I'm not expecting Uribe to be a difference maker, but he's been two and a half fuckloads more productive than Maybin has over the last three seasons.

I suspect Detroit was basing their purchase on the strength of his 2015 season alone.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted Maybin in my keeper league as a prospect. He got called up and cranked a HR off a roided up Roger Clemens in one of his first at bats and I was all psyched. Fuck him.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect Detroit was basing their purchase on the strength of his 2015 season alone.

I kind of agree with you. It doesn't make any sense for them to do that -- particularly in that he was a below average bat and missed games in 2015 -- but it makes more sense than anything else I can come up with.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The drawback to this deal is that Maybin does not hit lefties that well....for his career his splits are actually better against righties. If Detroit had an outfield of Maybin, Gose, and JD Martinez.....that would have been a hole!

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it is, the Tiger outfield still worries me. Living in AZ, I watched Upton start out. I was never impressed. I don't know how much he has changed, but as a D'Back he was a super streaky hitter. His defense was awful except he had a rifle arm (although his accuracy was not always 100%). He got the reputation of being a disruptive influence in the clubhouse and, like a lot of players these days, more concerned with his play over that of his team. Hopefully he has changed..........

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your education Mr. Vice. Several posters here have asked you to learn things. I'm just trying to help.
You are just the one to educate me.. with your 100+ years of knowledge.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted Maybin in my keeper league as a prospect. He got called up and cranked a HR off a roided up Roger Clemens in one of his first at bats and I was all psyched. Fuck him.
It was his first at bat.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree with you. It doesn't make any sense for them to do that -- particularly in that he was a below average bat and missed games in 2015 -- but it makes more sense than anything else I can come up with.
I think it had more to do with the fact he was a relatively cheap option on a 1 yr deal with an option for another year at 9 mil if he plays well. 5.5 mil isn't that bad for an outfielder that has the potential to be average with the bat / glove / and on the bases.. not like they could have gotten a free agent any cheaper with his ceiling.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin was called up to the Tigers on August 17, 2007, and made his Major League debut that day, going 0-4.[11][12] He was the youngest player in the American League (20 years old). In his second game, August 18, 2007, Maybin picked up his first career hit, (a single), and first career home run, both off of Roger Clemens. During his next plate appearance, he was hit by a Clemens fastball. Thus, Maybin received his first Major League hit, home run and hit-by-pitch in the same game

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it had more to do with the fact he was a relatively cheap option on a 1 yr deal with an option for another year at 9 mil if he plays well. 5.5 mil isn't that bad for an outfielder that has the potential to be average with the bat / glove / and on the bases.. not like they could have gotten a free agent any cheaper with his ceiling.

My point is that for as shitty as Maybin is - he's got the same potential to be an average MLB bat as you do - they might as well bring some AAA guy up.

Regardless, your support of spending $5MM on Cameron Maybin is inconsistent with your criticism of the Indians' Uribe deal.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin was called up to the Tigers on August 17, 2007, and made his Major League debut that day, going 0-4.[11][12] He was the youngest player in the American League (20 years old). In his second game, August 18, 2007, Maybin picked up his first career hit, (a single), and first career home run, both off of Roger Clemens. During his next plate appearance, he was hit by a Clemens fastball. Thus, Maybin received his first Major League hit, home run and hit-by-pitch in the same game

Yep. Second AB of his second game. For some reason, I remembered it as his first MLB AB as well.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that for as shitty as Maybin is - he's got the same potential to be an average MLB bat as you do - they might as well bring some AAA guy up.

Regardless, your support of spending $5MM on Cameron Maybin is inconsistent with your criticism of the Indians' Uribe deal.
Uribe is a 37 yr old... Maybin is in his baseball prime. Its not outside of the realm of likelihood that he could have a career year.. Uribe on the other hand likely won't.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be willing to say that Maybin will have a better season at the plate than Uribe... I am pretty certain of that.