• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin. Broken wrist. Must hurt. Iffy? You broke a few haven't you? Not on the field of course. But still playing a little ball. Lol

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin is a bum. No great loss. We still will own the central.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin is a bum. No great loss.

I tend to agree with you. Granted, I don't know much about Maybin's or Gose's defensive abilities, but just considering bats and durability, I'd say Maybin is no great loss.

Talk about a bust. First round draft pick (10th overall), highly-touted prospect (top 10), tore up the minors (.303/.390/.476/.867), only to shit the bed once he gets his call up.

I guess it's just further evidence that the Tigers can't draft/develop talent for shit. I suppose it's a good thing for them that Pizza Boy has no problem backing up the Brinks Truck to drop cash wherever their inept front office deems appropriate.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you. Granted, I don't know much about Maybin's or Gose's defensive abilities, but just considering bats and durability, I'd say Maybin is no great loss.

Talk about a bust. First round draft pick (10th overall), highly-touted prospect (top 10), tore up the minors (.303/.390/.476/.867), only to shit the bed once he gets his call up.

I guess it's just further evidence that the Tigers can't draft/develop talent for shit. I suppose it's a good thing for them that Pizza Boy has no problem banking up the Brinks Truck to drop cash wherever their inept front office deems appropriate.
Gose is a + defender. He is a better defender than Maybin by far.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gose is a + defender. He is a better defender than Maybin by far.

So why'd they even have Maybin penciled in center? Because they're paying him $6MM? Teams do that shit a lot -- start a less talented player because they're paying them more -- and I don't understand it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why'd they even have Maybin penciled in center? Because they're paying him $6MM? Teams do that shit a lot -- start a less talented player because they're paying them more -- and I don't understand it.
Not really sure to be honest. Gose doesn't hit lefties well... but he is fine vs righties.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure to be honest. Gose doesn't hit lefties well... but he is fine vs righties.

Seems like the their bats aren't all that different (admittedly, I only looked at OPS+).

What was the rest of the deal with the Braves? It's possible the Braves just said, you have to take Maybin, and the Tigers just figure 'fuck it, we'll start Maybin since we have him.'

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the their bats aren't all that different (admittedly, I only looked at OPS+).

What was the rest of the deal with the Braves? It's possible the Braves just said, you have to take Maybin, and the Tigers just figure 'fuck it, we'll start Maybin since we have him.'
The Braves got shit ass Ian Krol and a low A ball pitcher... the Tigers got Maybin and 3 mil.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves got shit ass Ian Krol and a low A ball pitcher... the Tigers got Maybin and 3 mil.

Vice...remember, at the time they got Maybin, there was just as much talk that he would platoon with Tyler Collins in left. Or some sort of three headed "monster" between Gose, Maybin, and Collins for those two spots.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Vice....don't forget Mike Aviles is available to step into CF at "any time". LOL
:yes:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time, I just thought they were looking for a replacement for Rajai Davis. Maybin would be the right handed side of a platoon in center or left.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time, I just thought they were looking for a replacement for Rajai Davis. Maybin would be the right handed side of a platoon in center or left.

An oft injured, well-below-average bat for $5.5MM and prospects (shitty or not)? That makes the Indians' Uribe signing look like a stroke of genius.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....They paid Rajai Davis $5mil for 2015....so I figured they saw this as a trade off, or at least as close as they could get. No, not a blockbuster deal....although some Tiger fans saw it as such. But yeah, not a lot different than the Tribes signing of Uribe for a similar amount.

BTW....Detroit is also on the hook for $1mil to Maybin to buy out his option for 2017. Unless he has an All Star year and want to pay him $9mil

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice...remember, at the time they got Maybin, there was just as much talk that he would platoon with Tyler Collins in left. Or some sort of three headed "monster" between Gose, Maybin, and Collins for those two spots.
What is your point with this?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....They paid Rajai Davis $5mil for 2015....so I figured they saw this as a trade off, or at least as close as they could get. No, not a blockbuster deal....although some Tiger fans saw it as such. But yeah, not a lot different than the Tribes signing of Uribe for a similar amount.

I disagree. I see this vastly different than signing Uribe for a similar amount.

A cursory review of Maybin's numbers shows that 1) he's a well below average bat and 2) he doesn't play a lot of games. I'm curious as to why any team would consider him anything more than a replacement level player.

Now, I'm not expecting Uribe to be a difference maker, but he's been two and a half fuckloads more productive than Maybin has over the last three seasons.