• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7 years / $120+ mil for an average QB... ??

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bears fan who watched the Defense plummet to all-time worst embarrassment, this deal makes me sick.

Jay Cutler of Chicago Bears signs 7-year contract - ESPN Chicago

"Although financial terms were not released, Cutler's deal is expected to eclipse the $17.6 million average the Detroit Lions gave Matthew Stafford in July. It also includes at least $50 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

7 years for a guy who will be 31 next season...

$17.6 x 7 = $123 mil+ for a QB who has made the playoffs just 1 time in 8 seasons, and holds a dismal 1-8 record against his team's biggest rival...

$51 mil guaranteed for a QB who has missed (on average) one-quarter of the season the last 3 years...

Someone please pass me the barf bag... of course as a Bears fan I'm not surprised.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bears fan who watched the Defense plummet to all-time worst embarrassment, this deal makes me sick.

"Although financial terms were not released, Cutler's deal is expected to eclipse the $17.6 million average the Detroit Lions gave Matthew Stafford in July. It also includes at least $50 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

$17.6 x 7 = $123 mil+ for a QB who has made the playoffs just 1 time in 8 seasons, and holds a dismal 1-8 record against his team's biggest rival...

$51 mil guaranteed for a QB who has missed (on average) one-quarter of the season the last 3 years...

Someone please pass me the barf bag... of course as a Bears fan I'm not surprised.

Whatever... It is your opinion, and that is fine. I disagree with some of your assumptions, it isn't that Jay didn't make the playoffs, it is that Jerry Angelo picked an atrocious number of bad draft picks to go with Jay, including 2 years ago Hester and Knox as the starting 2 wide receivers. Along with an atrocious O line and a metric ton of bad O coordinators.

Just look at Jay's QB rating this season, look at his pass completion %, take into account this is, yet again, his first with this new O coordinator, with talented Wr's and an actual O line. Look at the Bears overall #2 in the league with points scored this season. Times have changed, Jay is looking better. Trestman obviously likes Jay, Emery does as well, I trust Trestman's opinion over yours and mine.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are not a Bears Fan......Period

Please relocate to the Tampa boards dickhead. GOOD RIDDANCE:lame:

:gaah: :yahoo: :lame:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big thumbs up man, you know the story. I need to start a list of all these cutler jock sniffers to remember when they start whining with the interceptions and missed games or ask for his head.

YOU HAVE THE QUARTERBACK WHISPERER, WHY DO YOU NEED A 123.2 MILLION DOLLAR QUARTERBACK?

Its the one facet of coaching Trestman is good at and you sign a guy that will not change and will keep trying to throw thru defenders without finding an open receiver.

Now Jennings is back too, the worst secondary in football, never once did I hear that term "coverage sack" and lets bring him back for 4 years. Cant blame the front 7 for not getting to the quarterback in 3 seconds in the time most throws were completed.

Maybe Major Wright will be next. He played pretty good before tucker got here. This whole defense that played well for Lovie played well before tucker got here.

Maybe this year emery will draft another linebacker to play defensive end in a 4-3.

I still want to see how these dollars are distributed because one of these years some dollars are probably gonna be a big cap hit.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler average? He was clearly above average this season, the first season he actually had good offensive coaching and a good offensive supporting cast in Chicago. He finished 8th in Total QBR and 13th in passer rating. So he was around the 10th best QB in the NFL statistically this season. But I'm not that big on stats. Anyone who watched Cutler this season saw that he played extremely well.

Just look at the Packers game as an example. Aaron Rodgers fumbled, threw 2 INTs and should have been intercepted 2 other times. That's 5 BIG mistakes. Cutler's lone INT was on a desperation Hail Mary, and he didn't make bonehead throws. He didn't force things, yet he also made some big plays to lead the offense to 28 points. Cutler looked like a different QB in Trestman's system this season. He will only get better in the system. Smart move signing him long term. You don't want to have to worry about the QB position. The draft is a crapshoot, unless you have a very high pick which the Bears do not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds a little high but I am all for it. Glad to have some things taken care of this soon. 3 good signings already. QBs are expensive.

Quitler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a Packer fan i love the fact that Quitler signed as a Bear for 7 years...this means Green Bay should be able to own the north for a while. Thanks Chicago..for making a move based on fear and paying way to much to do so

Quitler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler average? He was clearly above average this season, the first season he actually had good offensive coaching and a good offensive supporting cast in Chicago. He finished 8th in Total QBR and 13th in passer rating. So he was around the 10th best QB in the NFL statistically this season. But I'm not that big on stats. Anyone who watched Cutler this season saw that he played extremely well.

Just look at the Packers game as an example. Aaron Rodgers fumbled, threw 2 INTs and should have been intercepted 2 other times. That's 5 BIG mistakes. Cutler's lone INT was on a desperation Hail Mary, and he didn't make bonehead throws. He didn't force things, yet he also made some big plays to lead the offense to 28 points. Cutler looked like a different QB in Trestman's system this season. He will only get better in the system. Smart move signing him long term. You don't want to have to worry about the QB position. The draft is a crapshoot, unless you have a very high pick which the Bears do not.

what has he done? to make him above average?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well when Mdc workers what 14 bucks an hour, a qb is differently gonna get a raise

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who fucking cares what you think!!!!

as a Packer fan i love the fact that Quitler signed as a Bear for 7 years...this means Green Bay should be able to own the north for a while. Thanks Chicago..for making a move based on fear and paying way to much to do so

Nodody gives a fuck what you think you pathetic trolling machine. We do not need your kind on these boards. Stop trolling and grow the fuck up. You are :lame::lame::lame:

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that we don't hear anything from GB fans all season when their season was in doubt. They were generally meek and civil. Now that they are in the playoffs the assholes come out of the woodwork.

Just pathetic. I'm just glad they don't reflect on the good GB posters who are genuinely honest.

As for Cutler being average, I think this year showed he is better than average. He is not elite and I don't think he ever will be, but in this system he will put up great numbers (barring injuries). The Bears are $25 mil under cap, and some moves in the offseason should give them more space to make big acquisitions.

The Bears improve the D with a few key players and we have a 10-11 win team next year.