• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is not in the top 6 why give them a free pass to the playoffs. You will reward teams scheduling like Oregon who play garbage non conference games. You are also inviting 3, 4, 5 loss teams into playoffs over more deserving teams. No free rides.
I'd say taking all league champs would inspire better ooc matchups . If you're only getting in by winning your conference then why not prepare yourself vs great teams as losing doesn't hurt you ?

The real issue is unbalanced conference schedules

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of conference games are already irrelevant. How many times has Alabama won the National Championship after playing crappy non conference games.
Ohio State made the playoffs in 2016 over a team they lost to in their own division that was actually the conference champ and in large part it was due to the dismantling of Big12 champion Oklahoma in a non conference game.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liberty just went FBS. No need for pussy at large bids.
Yep. They beat Troy last weekend...who previously beat Nebraska. But, so has everyone else so I have no idea where I was going with that.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. Wisconsin was a 6 loss team? How did they get to the conference championship? And they won?

Yeah, IIRC Penn State was under the "r@pe" ban, and Ohio State was under the tattoo/sweater vest ban, so both of them were ineligible for conference championship game. So they took the 3rd place team and put them in the championship game. This was before they re-aligned the conference. I think Wisc DESTROYED the team they played that year.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, last year it would've been Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC and UCF. I personally don't think you should be in the Playoff if you didn't even win your own conference title.

Two things I would like to see avoided is for one conference to get two teams in and one conference to get any in. It just doesn't seem fair because those teams are locked into playing conference games. It's not their fault if the schedule isn't that great.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if they finished high enough to play in their conference championship, and win the game, chances are they will be ranked in the top 6 anyway.

Has a conference champion ever been not ranked in the top six?

Yes, just last year. Happens all the time.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, IIRC Penn State was under the "r@pe" ban, and Ohio State was under the tattoo/sweater vest ban, so both of them were ineligible for conference championship game. This was before they re-aligned the conference.

I could see how that would be a problem. That would be somewhat rare however don't you think? I'm just sick of watching SEC get two teams in all the time and you can't really prove they are the best teams in football since they rarely play non conference games outside of the south.

I'd like to see an SEC team play in Michigan in November and see how they do.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can’t make the top 130 teams Can you really make an argument you deserve a shot at a national title?
Yes I can.

Just not a good one.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they may eventually go to a 6 or 8 team playoff but, hell, it took them 100+ years to go to a 4 team playoff so it's not going to happen in our lifetime so this is a meaningless conversation ....
Maybe, but the reason the BCS happened is the controversy around the recognized champions being crowned by the two major polls. The reason the playoff replaced the BCS was controversy around figuring out # 2. Now there’s the playoff system that takes 4, and any controversy that’s coming up has more to do with which maybe deserving team gets picked. It’s no longer that deserving teams are left out, but they’re in the territory of having to fill the last spot and there’s just too many pretty good teams to pick from. Expanding has never been about catering to those pretty good teams, and it never should be.

I’ll buy into another expansion when we end up with 5 undefeated P5 teams who all made an effort to play at least on tough game out of conference. Until then completely changing the landscape of college football so the occasional G5 team can feel good about itself, or so the part time college fan who’s really into the NFL can wrap his head around what’s going on isn’t worth it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see how that would be a problem. That would be somewhat rare however don't you think? I'm just sick of watching SEC get two teams in all the time and you can't really prove they are the best teams in football since they rarely play non conference games outside of the south.

I'd like to see an SEC team play in Michigan in November and see how they do.

I would have to say that it would never happen again, at least simultaneously...although I would love to see both PSU and OSU ineligible again in the future.

I don't think either the B10 or the SEC want to see their big teams play each other in November. It's too late in the season, and there would be a BIG penalty to the loser.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of conference games are already irrelevant. How many times has Alabama won the National Championship after playing crappy non conference games.

Once again you show you do not actually watch college football. Alabama plays some of the best conference games every year, this year and next year being the only exceptions. And hell, most years Louisville is borderline top25 and some years Duke makes it there. They aren't the top10-15 teams we are use to, but they aren't terrible.

Past 10 years:

Florida St x 2
USC
Virginia Tech x 2
West Virginia
Michigan
Penn St
Clemson
Wisconsin

On the schedule coming up: USC, Texas, Notre Dame.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens all the time? Really? How many times has it happened?

If you actually watched college football you'd know.

But all you keep doing in this thread is showing us you don't have a clue.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I would like to see avoided is for one conference to get two teams in and one conference to get any in. It just doesn't seem fair because those teams are locked into playing conference games. It's not their fault if the schedule isn't that great.

I just want to see the four best teams chosen. They already have a rule that only allows two teams from a conference in the playoffs, so they do limit it. I really think the committee has done a great job in choosing the right teams so far.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say that it would never happen again, at least simultaneously...although I would love to see both PSU and OSU ineligible again in the future.

I don't think either the B10 or the SEC want to see their big teams play each other in November. It's too late in the season, and there would be a BIG penalty to the loser.

That's a shame because it seems to me that SEC teams generally play soft non conference schedules and rarely if ever play big teams on the road and yet they enjoy one or two playoff spots on a regular basis.

Every P5 champion should get a playoff spot every year.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit they are. You clearly haven’t paid any attention to playoff rankings.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes up several times a year, but no.

Right now your OOC games still matter. They matter just as much as winning your conference. Your conference standing does not include your out of conf record.

If they make it anything close to automatic entry for winning your conference there is no need to ever schedule a tough OOC game again. You will diminish their value substantially. That's just a fact.

But which teams are scheduling tough non conference games anyway. As far as I can see, most P5 schools play cupcakes for non conference anyway.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again you show you do not actually watch college football. Alabama plays some of the best conference games every year, this year and next year being the only exceptions. And hell, most years Louisville is borderline top25 and some years Duke makes it there. They aren't the top10-15 teams we are use to, but they aren't terrible.

Past 10 years:

Florida St x 2
USC
Virginia Tech x 2
West Virginia
Michigan
Penn St
Clemson
Wisconsin

On the schedule coming up: USC, Texas, Notre Dame.

It definitely is not fair to criticize Bama for not scheduling at least one good opponent most years. They often schedule good opponents for week 1 games. The criticism I often hear about Bama is they schedule these big games on neutral fields. IMO, I think I'd rather watch them play a different team each year on a neutral field, than for them to do a "home and home" with the same team every two years.

Last edited:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shame because it seems to me that SEC teams generally play soft non conference schedules and rarely if ever play big teams on the road and yet they enjoy one or two playoff spots on a regular basis.

Every P5 champion should get a playoff spot every year.
You just don’t even have a clue what you’re talking about.

List every year the sec has gotten two playoff spots.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF didn't even belong in the top10, much less the playoffs.
That’s not true at all. They definitely deserved the top 10.