• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This again? I'd prefer they go to 6 or 8 max with some autobids just to get the dumbass committee as completely removed from everything as possible.

But if you're not going to expand or remove the committee then at least remove the conference championship games and have the committee rank the teams after everybody plays 12 games. That way you don't have teams getting punished for making the conference championship game or being rewarded for sitting at home doing nothing.

This will never happen because of the $ associated with the conference championship games obviously, but it would make things less retarded.

12 to 16 team playoff would be great. You could give all the playoff teams two weeks off. The first round could start on December 15th, and you could give the two teams remaining a bye week.

The highest ranked teams per conference in the top 25 would get in. The remaining slots would go to the wildcards. This would be great for the schools, the fans, and television ratings.

The ONLY problem is that the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and so forth would take a hit. These glorified consolation prize bowls (Lets call it, like it is), would lose their value.

I would think it's unfair that some times play 13 games and the others play 12, and the system can reward teams for being ineligible for the CC game. Making everybody play 12 games makes sense.

But if we're going to have the "some teams play 13" and have an 8 team playoff, then CC status must count and have at least 5 CCs among the top 8.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY problem is that the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and so forth would take a hit. These glorified consolation prize bowls (Lets call it, like it is), would lose their value.
And therefore lies the big problem. That was the stumbling block in getting to the BCS and the CFP. The almighty "Grandaddy of them all".

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose Bowl and their ilk already don't mean shit anymore. Not in terms of their status compared to pre BCS era anyway.

Everything in college football. EVERYTHING is about the almighty dollar. Who is getting how much from what source.

After expenses, the total 'take' from bowl season is more than half a billion dollars. That's profit for the schools.

That said, the voices from the institutions about 'student athletes' and limiting the games, limiting the extra chances for injuries, limiting their distractions from their school work, etc are STILL major voices coming from the institutions themselves. And THEY are the ones that ink these deals.

When they struck the deal to create the CFP they purposely used it as a wealth redistribution source. A substantial chunk of the income goes to schools/conference that will never participate in the bowls that bring that money in. It has been a stabilizing source of income to many struggling schools.

The entire system was a series of compromises. The crazy amount of cash vs the BCS certainly helped at least appease a few of the more vocal opponents, but very much limiting the expanse of the playoffs is the ONLY reason it was signed.

The schools themselves have no interest in expanding it more. Many would clearly turn it down no matter how much money was involved. Just read what their institutions had to say in the bargaining leading up to the formation of the CFP. You can disagree with their reasonings all you like, but it won't change that this is how they see things.

Seriously, go find us articles from school presidents or even powerful AD's/coaches that show they are calling for expanded playoffs. (Leach's weird ramblings clearly don't count lol)

There is a HUGE uphill battle to expand it at all. Even adding just 2. The larger proposals of going to 8, or 16 and all of the changes you guys want are entirely pie in the sky. It might be something YOU want, and maybe even a few TV personalities are for it, but it is CLEARLY something the schools don't want. Just read what they say about it.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And therefore lies the big problem. That was the stumbling block in getting to the BCS and the CFP. The almighty "Grandaddy of them all".
It isn't just the Rose Bowl . .

To, the most ridiculous aspect of discussing changes to the playoff system, is ignoring the reality that these idiots, who brought use playoff games on New Years Eve, give a flying copulation about what fans want or would enjoy seeing.

It's all about the Tubmans, baby . .

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The possibility of what might have happened in the PAC 12 in 2011 is a good example against automatically letting conference champions in.

UCLA was 6-6 going into the the CCG against Oregon as the PAC 12 South champ. They lost to Houston, Texas, Stanford, Arizona, Utah and USC but still won the South...mainly because of USC's NCAA issues. They ended the year 6-8 losing a bowl game to Illinois.

Had they beaten Oregon in the CCG, they'd have been in the CFP using the criteria you laid out.
Ideally, it would have been Oregon (11-2) or USC (11-2) as conference champions. Since USC won their division and was ruled ineligible I would have a contingency plan. Oregon vs Stanford in a rematch for the Pac-12 title. Both were 8-1 in conference and tied for the best record from within. That's the bitch about divisions. It's been proven multiple times that the top-2 teams don't necessarily meet for the conference championship. The Big XII is the perfect example when it had divisions. Now, they settle their CC in the perfect manner with the round robin schedule with the top-2 meeting for the title. If all the other conferences could do this it would be pretty cool, but there are too damn many teams in each for it to come to fruition.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we scrap all the conferences — 130 team battle royal. The committee can seed the teams before even taking a snap.
If you lose — your season is over. Sorry, not sorry, your fault the season was one game long.

Imagine the excitement each week as Liberty’s season is on the line against Alabama as a 74 point underdog. I can smell the advertiser dollars from here!!!!

No one steal my idea or I will sue!!!!

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having 8 teams melds into the current system well. To explain, lets look at this season.

December 1st - Conference Championship Saturday
December 8th - Army-Navy game
December 21st and 22nd - 1st round of the playoff. You can place these at higher seeds backyard or preferred destination. Gets team gets at least 20 days off.
January 1st - The final four teams plays in their chosen bowl sites. There's about an 11 day layoff between round 1 and round 2.
January 8th - National Championship game. Same as before. or you can push it to the 11th and give teams 10 days off.

The system would make EXTRA money on the 1st round games.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having 8 teams melds into the current system well. To explain, lets look at this season.

December 1st - Conference Championship Saturday
December 8th - Army-Navy game
December 21st and 22nd - 1st round of the playoff. You can place these at higher seeds backyard or preferred destination. Gets team gets at least 20 days off.
January 1st - The final four teams plays in their chosen bowl sites. There's about an 11 day layoff between round 1 and round 2.
January 8th - National Championship game. Same as before. or you can push it to the 11th and give teams 10 days off.

The system would make EXTRA money on the 1st round games.
Oh I agree. But the Rose Bowl will never like the fact that they aren't the ultimate anymore.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions are wrong all the time.

You have a right to your opinion, that doesn't mean your opinion is right.

Holy fucking shit.

oLIVTyY.gif

I never said my opinion was right. Who the hell ever said one of us has to be right and one of us has to be wrong?

WTF

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said my opinion was right. Who the hell ever said one of us has to be right and one of us has to be wrong?

WTF

You claimed your opinion couldn't be wrong, what's the difference?

I't my opinion. How can my opinion be wrong? You are welcome to disagree but who are you to say I'm wrong?