• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens in the NFL all the time and no one seems to mind. Every division champion gets a spot in the playoffs and sometimes, even the Wild Card team wins the Superbowl. No one seems to claim that they aren't deserving because they won it on the field.

My idea may have it's flaws but at least the championship is decided on the field and not by some old men in a meeting room.
Comparing NFL to college football is utter bullshit.

The NFL has parity built in. Between salary caps, playing everyone in your own division twice, AND playing the EXACT SAME SCHEDULE for a common non division slate, you are for sure far more comparing things on an even footing.

No, there is nothing even close in college football to the NFL. This is purely a non starter.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens all the time? Really? How many times has it happened?

FYI it's happened at least 21 times since 2000. And that doesn't even take into account 2005-2008.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch college football all the time. I may not watch every single game because there are just far too many. I just think that every conference has it's tough games and it's not equal to compare one conference to another. For example, Alabama would fair much differently if they had to play conference games in places like Wisconsin, Michigan st. , or Michigan.

How would Alabama do playing in altitude like Colorado or Utah? There are just too many factors involved in conference play.

So now you're just claiming the Big10 is more difficult than the SEC?

I'd much rather go into ANY of those places than go play @ Auburn.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2000:

2000: #7 UF, #14 Purdue
2001: #7 Illinois
2002: #16 Florida State, #7 Washington State, #8 Oklahoma
2003: #9 Florida State, #10 Miami
2004: #9 Virginia Tech, #19 Pitt, #12 Michigan

I'm going to stop there, because I think you get the point, and I don't feel like doing this anymore.
So we have out of 15 seasons that you and checked, it happened 21 times, and we are missing three seasons.
:ninja:

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State made the playoffs in 2016 over a team they lost to in their own division that was actually the conference champ and in large part it was due to the dismantling of Big12 champion Oklahoma in a non conference game.

And that is why the 6 team playoff should take only the conference champion. No team should be given a playoff spot for something they early in the season. Basketball rewards the teams who are playing their best basketball in March. It should be the same for football.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch college football all the time. I may not watch every single game because there are just far too many. I just think that every conference has it's tough games and it's not equal to compare one conference to another. For example, Alabama would fair much differently if they had to play conference games in places like Wisconsin, Michigan st. , or Michigan.

How would Alabama do playing in altitude like Colorado or Utah? There are just too many factors involved in conference play.
Off the top of my head, Bama is 4-0 with all games being ass beatings in their last four games against MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say taking all league champs would inspire better ooc matchups . If you're only getting in by winning your conference then why not prepare yourself vs great teams as losing doesn't hurt you ?

The real issue is unbalanced conference schedules

Yeah, Florida St had nothign to lose last year against Alabama - except their starting QB.

Alabama lost multiple starters on defense for the entire year in that game as well.

First game of the year - multiple players out for the season.

Even when you win them - it hurts you.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 Florida State, 2005 WVU, 2005 UGA
2006 Wake Forest, 2006 Oklahoma
2007 WVU

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens in the NFL all the time and no one seems to mind. Every division champion gets a spot in the playoffs and sometimes, even the Wild Card team wins the Superbowl. No one seems to claim that they aren't deserving because they won it on the field.

My idea may have it's flaws but at least the championship is decided on the field and not by some old men in a meeting room.

College fans don’t want to watch a sport with so much diversity try to copy the NFL season. We don’t want shitty 6 win teams, or even mediocre 8 or 9 win teams having a path to the playoff. The season matters, scheduling matters, we don’t want 3 shitty preseason games.

Stick to the NFL if you like that model.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 Florida State, 2005 WVU, 2005 UGA
2006 Wake Forest, 2006 Oklahoma
2007 WVU
So 27 times in 18 season. So on average 3 times every two years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of the games you mentioned were actually in the visitors home field?

If you are crying because teams are an equal fields, then you're just a loser crying about the success of someone else and deserve to be given swirly's on a daily basis.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why the 6 team playoff should take only the conference champion. No team should be given a playoff spot for something they early in the season. Basketball rewards the teams who are playing their best basketball in March. It should be the same for football.
So you’re not necessarily misinformed, your opinion just sucks. Stick to the NFL and don’t worry about it, is my advice.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fantastic point. If OOC games don't hurt you, then playing the best would be a good thing, not a bad one. As it stands right now, they play cup cakes to remain undefeated.

I man come on.

Alabama will play Arkansas State, Louisiana , and The Citadel this year. And they will still be in the playoff.

I'm honestly not an Alabama fan, but I believe I read that they scheduled Louisville in 2016. That year they ended the season in the top 25. I hate to admit it, but the SEC is still the top conference. They have nothing to prove, and still they schedule a top 25 team just about every year (it was crazy when they opened up the season against #3 FSU last year and #20 USC a few years back).

I don't think Alabama needs to schedule two tough OOC games each year to prove they are playoff worthy. Most years, if you include the CCG, they are playing at least five top 25 teams. (I'm thinking that Auburn, Texas A@M, and LSU are often ranked when Bama plays them...even Ole Miss and Miss St have been ranked highly at some point in the past 5-6 years)

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add that to this list:

2000: #7 UF, #14 Purdue
2001: #7 Illinois
2002: #16 Florida State, #7 Washington State, #8 Oklahoma
2003: #9 Florida State, #10 Miami
2004: #9 Virginia Tech, #19 Pitt, #12 Michigan

Just need someone to do 2005-2008. lol.

And just think. Many of these teams probably had a
Using the Committees ranking going back to 2014 and the AP poll after that. This is the last ten season.

2017 USC
2016 Oklahoma
2012 Wisconsin and Kansas State
2011 Wisconsin
2010 Virginia Tech
2009 Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia Tech
2008 Virginia Tech

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those teams getting into a playoff game knowing that they are playing their best football at the end of the season and would still have to win two more games to be crowned champions.

I mean think about it. If you are one of the top two schools in the nation, you still play the same amount of playoff games and you get a week off.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not an Alabama fan, but I believe I read that they scheduled Louisville in 2016. That year they ended the season in the top 25. I hate to admit it, but the SEC is still the top conference. They have nothing to prove, and still they schedule a top 25 team just about every year (it was crazy when they opened up the season against #3 FSU last year and #20 USC a few years back).

I don't think Alabama needs to schedule two tough OOC games each year to prove they are playoff worthy. Most years, if you include the CCG, they are playing at least five top 25 teams.

Alabama is the best team in the SEC by far but the rest of the conference isn't all that great. Auburn and LSU are up and down. Georgia is solid.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just think. Many of these teams probably had a

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those teams getting into a playoff game knowing that they are playing their best football at the end of the season and would still have to win two more games to be crowned champions.

I mean think about it. If you are one of the top two schools in the nation, you still play the same amount of playoff games and you get a week off.
And think if you are one of the top 5 ranked teams in the country, but because you play in a tough conference, you are left out for a team that is ranked outside the top ten/fifteen because they play in a weak conference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College fans don’t want to watch a sport with so much diversity try to copy the NFL season. We don’t want shitty 6 win teams, or even mediocre 8 or 9 win teams having a path to the playoff. The season matters, scheduling matters, we don’t want 3 shitty preseason games.

Stick to the NFL if you like that model.

NFL teams also get to play every team in their division twice.

They have 32 teams and 16 regular game season. College football has 130 teams now and only 12 regular season games. Just isn't comparable.

Even if you go down to only P5 teams you would still be looking at 60+ teams and 12 regular season games.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Florida St had nothign to lose last year against Alabama - except their starting QB.

Alabama lost multiple starters on defense for the entire year in that game as well.

Even when you win them - it hurts you.
There are things to gain for some teams . Teams like Bama aren't one of then though . A 1 loss Bama is getting in the playoff in most every instance regardless of winning their conference . Same with other teams like Texas, Ohio St, Oklahoma, USC etc. Those teams don't NEED great OOC results . To their credit they still often play those games but they don't need to win them . The majority of CFB isht getting in with a loss and , so far, no one is getting in with 2 so scheduling tough OOC games provides more ridiculous than it does reward

Look at last year . A 2 loss OSU didn't make the playoff and people point to the Iowa loss but you could just as easily blame the OU loss. If OSU plays Ohio instead of Oklahoma and finishes 12-1 with a B10 title they're going to the playoff even with a loss to Iowa.

I'm all for league champs getting in but it'll never be fair because of unbalanced schedules . It would make ooc matchips better in some ways ( easier to schedule good opponents ) but you'd lose meaning in those games too so it'd be less exciting as a fan .