• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 team playoff

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shame because it seems to me that SEC teams generally play soft non conference schedules and rarely if ever play big teams on the road and yet they enjoy one or two playoff spots on a regular basis.

Every P5 champion should get a playoff spot every year.

I honestly can't remember, but how many times has the SEC gotten two teams in the playoffs? Obviously last year, but when else did it happen?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again you show you do not actually watch college football. Alabama plays some of the best conference games every year, this year and next year being the only exceptions. And hell, most years Louisville is borderline top25 and some years Duke makes it there. They aren't the top10-15 teams we are use to, but they aren't terrible.

Past 10 years:

Florida St x 2
USC
Virginia Tech x 2
West Virginia
Michigan
Penn St
Clemson
Wisconsin

On the schedule coming up: USC, Texas, Notre Dame.

How many of those games were true road games. Not a neutral site just down the street in Dallas or Atlanta. I mean a true road game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly can't remember, but how many times has the SEC gotten two teams in the playoffs? Obviously last year, but when else did it happen?

Once. Just once.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State made the playoffs in 2016 over a team they lost to in their own division that was actually the conference champ and in large part it was due to the dismantling of Big12 champion Oklahoma in a non conference game.

I still take great pride in Michigan keeping PSU out of the playoffs that year. Although, I would MUCH rather take pride in Michigan actually making it to a conference championship game.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll buy into another expansion when we end up with 5 undefeated P5 teams who all made an effort to play at least on tough game out of conference. Until then completely changing the landscape of college football so the occasional G5 team can feel good about itself, or so the part time college fan who’s really into the NFL can wrap his head around what’s going on isn’t worth it.
Nah. The only thing that will change the landscape is money. We'd still be in the old bowl system with the same conference affiliation if money weren't in play. The money to be made became so enticing the Rose Bowl had to call uncle (or calf rope as we say in the sticks.) Even the granddaddy of them all couldn't keep up with what was to be made in the BCS and CFP.

It is ALL about.................

source.gif

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the Committees ranking going back to 2014 and the AP poll after that. This is the last ten season.

2017 USC
2016 Oklahoma
2012 Wisconsin and Kansas State
2011 Wisconsin
2010 Virginia Tech
2009 Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia Tech
2008 Virginia Tech

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely is not fair to criticize Bama for not scheduling at least one good opponent most years. The criticism I often hear about Bama is they schedule these big games on neutral fields. IMO, I think I'd rather watch them play a different person each year on a neutral field, than for them to do a "home and home" with the same team every two years.

Yeah I don't think this guy actually watches college football.

Our OOC schedule this year and next year is definitely subpar, but it's not the norm.

And I love playing the neutral site games and think most people would. It sucks that people hate them for whatever reason, I think it would be awesome if NFL stadiums across the country started doing it. Especially since the NFL seems to start about a week after college. Just have a bunch of top25 type teams signup for neutral sites and dish them out like bowl games in the preseason for good match ups. That would be awesome.

Plus you get paid every year. That's the biggest thing for Alabama I think. As far as finances go, it's like getting an extra home game because they pay out like home games.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

I couldn't disagree more that conf champions 'deserve' some seat at a mythical playoff table simply for winning their conference. Not at all in any way, shape, or form.

The major conferences are not created equal, or even in the same zip code. It changes in cycles, but right now the Pac is a hot mess, the ACC is Clemson and their ugly step sisters, The SEC may have more than one of the top 4 in any given season, and sometimes so does the B1G.

Putting in automatic playoff teams without any type of filter is asking for teams not even in the top 10 to be considered the same as those in the top 4 and could exclude really top level teams with their only loss against another really top level team in their own conference.

No chance I would ever support such a monstrosity.

College football is unlike any other sport. The rich get richer and the poor stay that way. There will always be a disparity. Attempts to give participation trophies will not change that. Most non blue blood schools have nearly zero chance of winning a national championship. If they do, it's going to be rare and hard to find anything close to a dynasty. That's just how it works. None of these ideas fix any of that, and then punish actual really good deserving teams.

It happens in the NFL all the time and no one seems to mind. Every division champion gets a spot in the playoffs and sometimes, even the Wild Card team wins the Superbowl. No one seems to claim that they aren't deserving because they won it on the field.

My idea may have it's flaws but at least the championship is decided on the field and not by some old men in a meeting room.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our OOC schedule this year and next year is definitely subpar, but it's not the norm.

And I love playing the neutral site games and think most people would. It sucks that people hate them for whatever reason, I think it would be awesome if NFL stadiums across the country started doing it. Especially since the NFL seems to start about a week after college. Just have a bunch of top25 type teams signup for neutral sites and dish them out like bowl games in the preseason for good match ups. That would be awesome.

Plus you get paid every year. That's the biggest thing for Alabama I think. As far as finances go, it's like getting an extra home game because they pay out like home games.

On top of that, you get a BUNCH of your recruits to come watch you play in an NFL stadium in big time recruiting areas (Dallas, Atlanta, Florida). It's a no brainer to do the neutral site games, and I don't see them changing it anytime soon.

That NFL idea would be awesome!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s not true at all. They definitely deserved the top 10.

Not before beating Auburn.

After I'm cool with it.

All teams like UCF need to do is schedule 2 Auburn type games in the regular season and they will get the respect they want.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it 32 teams and #33 will say they were treated unfairly.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watch college football all the time. I may not watch every single game because there are just far too many. I just think that every conference has it's tough games and it's not equal to compare one conference to another. For example, Alabama would fair much differently if they had to play conference games in places like Wisconsin, Michigan st. , or Michigan.

How would Alabama do playing in altitude like Colorado or Utah? There are just too many factors involved in conference play.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But which teams are scheduling tough non conference games anyway. As far as I can see, most P5 schools play cupcakes for non conference anyway.
Nah, most play 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 cupcakes. A few play 2 good OOC games and a few play zero but most play one good OOC game...or at least try to.

Personally I don't think 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 good OOC games is very good. But, the P5s all want 100% OOC home games so logistically it is impossible to have many good OOC games until something gives. Again, only money will make it give.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens all the time? Really? How many times has it happened?

Since 2000:

2000: #7 UF, #14 Purdue
2001: #7 Illinois
2002: #16 Florida State, #7 Washington State, #8 Oklahoma
2003: #9 Florida State, #10 Miami
2004: #9 Virginia Tech, #19 Pitt, #12 Michigan

I'm going to stop there, because I think you get the point, and I don't feel like doing this anymore.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But which teams are scheduling tough non conference games anyway. As far as I can see, most P5 schools play cupcakes for non conference anyway.
UW v Auburn doesn't happen to open this season if the Pac has an auto bid.

Yes, they all schedule some cupcakes as well. But almost all P5's have at least one challenge in OOC. It is for sure a promotional tool to sell to recruits and keep season ticket holders happy, but it is a lot about strength of schedule.

SoS dies with auto bids. Oregon's season this year is exactly the same as whoever had the top SoS. I can't think of a more insane proposal.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of those games were true road games. Not a neutral site just down the street in Dallas or Atlanta. I mean a true road game.

:lol:

So you're upset because Alabama is playing games on the platform for which almost all big sports games are played on - neutral sites, regardless of them constantly playing high quality teams.

Yeah, I'll just be adding you to that "My entire opinion revolves around hating Alabama" category. Unless you are a season ticket holder for Alabama, and I'm guessing you aren't.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the Committees ranking going back to 2014 and the AP poll after that. This is the last ten season.

2017 USC
2016 Oklahoma
2012 Wisconsin and Kansas State
2011 Wisconsin
2010 Virginia Tech
2009 Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia Tech
2008 Virginia Tech

Add that to this list:

2000: #7 UF, #14 Purdue
2001: #7 Illinois
2002: #16 Florida State, #7 Washington State, #8 Oklahoma
2003: #9 Florida State, #10 Miami
2004: #9 Virginia Tech, #19 Pitt, #12 Michigan

Just need someone to do 2005-2008. lol.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say taking all league champs would inspire better ooc matchups . If you're only getting in by winning your conference then why not prepare yourself vs great teams as losing doesn't hurt you ?

The real issue is unbalanced conference schedules

That is a fantastic point. If OOC games don't hurt you, then playing the best would be a good thing, not a bad one. As it stands right now, they play cup cakes to remain undefeated.

I man come on.

Alabama will play Arkansas State, Louisiana , and The Citadel this year. And they will still be in the playoff.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

So you're upset because Alabama is playing games on the platform for which almost all big sports games are played on - neutral sites, regardless of them constantly playing high quality teams.

Yeah, I'll just be adding you to that "My entire opinion revolves around hating Alabama" category. Unless you are a season ticket holder for Alabama, and I'm guessing you aren't.

How many of the games you mentioned were actually in the visitors home field?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch college football all the time. I may not watch every single game because there are just far too many. I just think that every conference has it's tough games and it's not equal to compare one conference to another. For example, Alabama would fair much differently if they had to play conference games in places like Wisconsin, Michigan st. , or Michigan.

How would Alabama do playing in altitude like Colorado or Utah? There are just too many factors involved in conference play.

:L