• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Bears Pre Game Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok great way to start the season. Shut some of the media people up. It was a great start to the season. To come out fired up like that. This game against the bears is a big one. Its our 1st game in the new stadium and the crowd and players are going to be going crazy.

Positives from last game:
Kap looks awesome
Hyde and Gore looks like a great combo
Sooooo many weapons on Offense
Safety play looks good

Negatives from last game:
Run disappeared
Too many drops

Lets hope they fix those Negatives. Secondary better be ready for this match up. Bears have 2 very good WRs and the front 7 needs to be prepared for Forte.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another area I hope they start to clean up is the tackling. A few times the Niners had a chance to stop a few more Cowboy drives if they had simply been more effective in getting the guys to the ground. I think this is really where not having Bowman on the team hurts.

The run defense was pretty bad and I expect the Bears to also try to get the ball to Forte in space. They'll need to contain him and limit any additional yards they can with him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear fan here. We always lose 1 game we should not and win 1 I don't think we will. That's about my only hope this week.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot of good points. Also concerned about pass rush. Was not there early in game. Pass blocking has to get better yoo, esp Iupati. Gotta be better in trenches on both sides of the ball

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Run D was the most upsetting, which I guess I kind of expected. I mean, it could be that we were super spoiled the last couple years when teams could barely even more the ball on the ground, but watching 120 yards on the ground was really tough. I'm not really sure what they can do about it though, I guess Bowman (and maybe Aldon) were studs in that area more than even I thought.

Pass rush was a bit lackluster, but again, expected. As long as our O can move the ball like they did in the first half (the second half was a bit concerning but that is Harbaugh "get a lead and coast football so I'm not too worried), then I think we should be fine. I don't think the Chicago D is anything special, is it? I know it used to be but everyone claims they are an Offensive team now.

Last time Chicago @ SF (although it was at Candlestick, obviously) Kaep lit up the scoreboard so I'm hoping that happens again. Aldon as had like 5 or so sacks too, so sad that's not happening.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern is the DB's we have covering Chicago's receivers. They did fine against Dez Bryant, but Chicago is deeper with WR's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought the Run D was the most upsetting, which I guess I kind of expected. I mean, it could be that we were super spoiled the last couple years when teams could barely even more the ball on the ground, but watching 120 yards on the ground was really tough. I'm not really sure what they can do about it though, I guess Bowman (and maybe Aldon) were studs in that area more than even I thought.

Pass rush was a bit lackluster, but again, expected. As long as our O can move the ball like they did in the first half (the second half was a bit concerning but that is Harbaugh "get a lead and coast football so I'm not too worried), then I think we should be fine. I don't think the Chicago D is anything special, is it? I know it used to be but everyone claims they are an Offensive team now.

Last time Chicago @ SF (although it was at Candlestick, obviously) Kaep lit up the scoreboard so I'm hoping that happens again. Aldon as had like 5 or so sacks too, so sad that's not happening.

totally agree. while we knew the run D wouldn't be STOUT, didn't expect we'd be pushed back that easily.

while our run D was most upsetting THIS game, looking forward it'll be about pressure. due to enforcement of 'no contact', teams will lean pass. for me, the only opponent we'll need better run D is against Seattle.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My biggest concern is the DB's we have covering Chicago's receivers. They did fine against Dez Bryant, but Chicago is deeper with WR's.

I think we will be able to get pressure on Cutler, and make him make mistakes. Chicago offense is actually quite similar to Dallas offense if you ask me: pass oriented, risk taking QB, shaky O-line in pass protection that if you can beat the QB will make mistakes, and run game wise Forte is about on par with Murray.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
totally agree. while we knew the run D wouldn't be STOUT, didn't expect we'd be pushed back that easily.
while our run D was most upsetting THIS game, looking forward it'll be about pressure. due to enforcement of 'no contact', teams will lean pass. for me, the only opponent we'll need better run D is against Seattle.

The loss of Bowman and Dorsey did affect the run D but another reason for the apparent lack of overall "stoutness", I think, is the conscious decision of the coaching staff to focus more on the pass defense. I noticed that both safeties were playing back way off the LOS which means they will not be able to give run support as quickly as if 1 safety was nearer to the LOS

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Bears WR's are injured.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The loss of Bowman and Dorsey did affect the run D but another reason for the apparent lack of overall "stoutness", I think, is the conscious decision of the coaching staff to focus more on the pass defense. I noticed that both safeties were playing back way off the LOS which means they will not be able to give run support as quickly as if 1 safety was nearer to the LOS

true, we were in nickel more than base. we kept the Safeties back for coverage.

but I started watching the front three more and more, they were getting moved. so even if Bowman was playing, he wouldn't have made a big difference.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bowman and Dorsey would have vastly helped with the run D, I dont ever remember getting gashed like that with those 2 on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will be able to get pressure on Cutler, and make him make mistakes. Chicago offense is actually quite similar to Dallas offense if you ask me: pass oriented, risk taking QB, shaky O-line in pass protection that if you can beat the QB will make mistakes, and run game wise Forte is about on par with Murray.
Cutler has never had 2 bad games in a row. So I'm hoping that continues. I think you underestimate our Oline. It's 4/5 different players then last time we met. Our Oline has been good and showing good quality depth. If you get to Cutler he will make mistakes, but so will any QB you get too. Yours included. And we can get after a QB. It's a whole new Dline. SF is favored and should be. Bears were favored last week. It didn't help.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Bowman and Dorsey would have vastly helped with the run D, I dont ever remember getting gashed like that with those 2 on the field.

vastly?

we will never know in the Dallas game, so not worth an extended discussion. but one last post to explain my opinion........if Ian Williams was getting pushed back/out of the way, don't see how Dorsey would've been STOUT? please don't reply with Dorsey is way better than Ian, cause that's what he'd need to be for 'vastly'. we all know Dorsey isn't way better than Ian.

if the 3 man line is getting pushed back/out of the way, a LB (ie Bowman) can't stop the run at the LOS. a LB would make contact after 2 or 3 yards gained.

don't mean to exaggerate and it wasn't every single run, but as you confirm yourself, it has been awhile since we've been gashed?

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i wouldnt worry about the run d just yet, we have to remember they rarely played together during preseason. how many snaps for ian, smith and mcdonald together? maybe 5-10 snaps?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldnt worry about the run d just yet, we have to remember they rarely played together during preseason. how many snaps for ian, smith and mcdonald together? maybe 5-10 snaps?
I don't feel that the rushing defense of the 9ers will be an issue at all against the Bears. They will be flinging the ball early and often. Our secondary is the key in this game for keeping them from scoring.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bears have much of a chance in this game. they can't stop the run and the 49ers are very good at running the football, plus it's the first regular season game in their new venue. beautiful stadium. 38 to 14 49ers. The only way the Bears win is if the 49ers shoot themselves in the foot

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bears have much of a chance in this game. they can't stop the run and the 49ers are very good at running the football, plus it's the first regular season game in their new venue. beautiful stadium. 38 to 14 49ers. The only way the Bears win is if the 49ers shoot themselves in the foot
Anything can happen but I hope they have the field issue(grass) done bye now. Talk about an epic fail for a new stadium!:L

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything can happen but I hope they have the field issue(grass) done bye now. Talk about an epic fail for a new stadium!:L

Haven't heard about that. What's wrong with the turf?