• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears 2023 Preseason Thread

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prepare yourself for a looooong article by the Trib's Brad Biggs regarding his take on this last game, the offseason in general, as well as his projected 53 man roster:

It's thought #1 that intrigues me the most. About midway down the item, Biggs touches on the Bears focus this offseason regarding the screen pass. For many, many years the organization's handling of the screen as an integral facet of the offense has been in my eyes, borderline dismal, amongst the league's worst. When properly executed, the screen is one of the more back breaking type of plays against an opponent's defense. I've been whining for years that this team gets with the times and regularly includes this play in their arsenal. Let's hope it comes to fruition in '24 and beyond.

Not sure what you mean by many years,but Matt Forte was pretty succesful at ghe screen pass......js

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Trey Lance makes sense as a backup for us. But Flus/Poles don’t seem like the types to go out and make that move.

God… I hate the idea of us being one play away from PJ Walker

Not to worry......PJ just got cut......

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Thayer on the radio side was not happy the Bears yanked Fields in the redzone to start the 2nd quarter. Paraphrasing "You don't get better at football if you don't play football."
He os probably fussing over the inexcusable absence of two a days.
Just read that myself. He was terrible.
Or, Bagent was just plain ole better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you mean by many years,but Matt Forte was pretty succesful at ghe screen pass......js
I was talking about our screen pass game in general over the years, it's execution or better stated, the lack thereof. I never said we didn't have some decent RBs who were good at doing some damage with the screen. I liked Forte. We haven't really had a true, all-purpose back since him, altho many will say Montgomery was that back. I agree to an extent, but I'm more inclined to label him as a Forte lite. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tho that Roschon Johnson will be the one that simulates Forte's career stats.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the preseason is behind us and with already a few cuts underway, here is a sample 53 man projected roster ranked by unit:

Pretty sad when the three lowest ranked units on the team are QB, OL, & DL. My take is when those three are the strongest units, you're now describing a perennial playoff team and SB contender. And FTR, I'd swap the DL with the OL. The DL is still very much a work in progress, but it's not the worst unit on the team.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about our screen pass game in general over the years, it's execution or better stated, the lack thereof. I never said we didn't have some decent RBs who were good at doing some damage with the screen. I liked Forte. We haven't really had a true, all-purpose back since him, altho many will say Montgomery was that back. I agree to an extent, but I'm more inclined to label him as a Forte lite. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tho that Roschon Johnson will be the one that simulates Forte's career stats.

Ya,before there was Forte,we had Mr.Do it all Payton......

Dont think any of the 90s Bears backs,nor the early 2000s had that caliber of back till Forte arrived.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont think any of the 90s Bears backs,nor the early 2000s had that caliber of back till Forte arrived.....
For a few years we had Neal Anderson as well. He was pretty decent until injuries and consistent poundings on his body started taking their toll.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forte's rookie years was 2008.

Benson was a bust when we tried make him a starter in 07.

Thomas Jones had some really great years for us. Can't forget his success in 2004, 05, and 06.

A-Train had a really good rookie season.

James Allen had a solid 2000 where he rushed for 1,100 yards.

Mid to late 90's saw a flurry of guys come and go. Raymont Harris had a 1K season.

Neal Anderson was a really good football player and made 4 straight pro bowls.

Definitely success between Payton and Forte. We've always fallen into good RB's, it seems. Even if they don't last - we at least get guys like Anthony Thomas who have short lived success to fill the gaps in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh

Why are we trading Mooney?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh

Why are we trading Mooney?
LOL, I'm saying the same thing. I think it's one of those situations where someone starts a rumor and others just pick it up and run with it.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forte's rookie years was 2008.

Benson was a bust when we tried make him a starter in 07.

Thomas Jones had some really great years for us. Can't forget his success in 2004, 05, and 06.

A-Train had a really good rookie season.

James Allen had a solid 2000 where he rushed for 1,100 yards.

Mid to late 90's saw a flurry of guys come and go. Raymont Harris had a 1K season.

Neal Anderson was a really good football player and made 4 straight pro bowls.

Definitely success between Payton and Forte. We've always fallen into good RB's, it seems. Even if they don't last - we at least get guys like Anthony Thomas who have short lived success to fill the gaps in.

Who the f*ck is Raymont Harris?

Ultra Back had a 1k season though.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't be all bad. Feeney's an old Sandburg HS alumni - gotta love the locals!!

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas Patrick 2.0

But with the state of our interior line....I'll take it.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I'm saying the same thing. I think it's one of those situations where someone starts a rumor and others just pick it up and run with it.

I am wondering if it was something Poles fielded a call on earlier in the offseason and it just now came to light.

Shopping him now makes zero sense. Unless he's part of some kind of package for Chris Jones. But even then you need every offensive weapon you can find right now.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Spielberger isn’t a clickbait guy. I trust that there's SOMETHING to this. Many confirming that it has legs.

However, I think it's more to see what's out there.

It makes sense if you think Tyler Scott is basically a young Mooney and worry about Mooney coming off injury before he's due to walk next off-season anyway. Get something for him now and plug in Scott.

I think Fields needs all the weapons he can get here in 2023, though.