• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not really sure what to make of this from Maiocco:

The 49ers just concluded a 2-hour, 20-minute practice. I'm having a difficult time coming up with any highlights. Not a lot happening.

Everyone who was at the practice seemed to say similar things. I guess it wasn't all that eventful?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Encouraging note on Lattimore

Mini notes: Lattimore more explosive; undrafted rookie stands out - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

Marcus Lattimore looks noticeably better and more explosive than he did two weeks ago when he was recovering from a hamstring strain. He caught an out pass early in practice and burst up field. It's hard to say whether Lattimore is 100 percent – I've never seen him practice in person until last month – but he certainly is making progress. Fellow South Carolinian Bruce Ellington had a strong practice while working both wide and out of the slot. He’s extremely quick and slippery when the ball is in his hands. Receiver Devon Wylie (Granite Bay) also stood out at times.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"McDonald made some nice receptions but also had two drops."

:poke:

yep, something to watch for obviously? we all thought he was a 'receiving TE', who just needed to learn the playbook. but IF he can't even catch WELL...................yikes!

when you're taken in round 2, you'd expect someone with 'sticky hands' from the get go.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you remember how many drops Davis used to have? Hell it is still somewhat an issue now.

yep, Davis was a bigger issue as the #6 overall pick. he is ok now, but it took him 3 seasons or so?

not panicking on McDonald but going thru this off-season, he should be better catching the ball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Do you remember how many drops Davis used to have? Hell it is still somewhat an issue now.

Yes, but Davis is a freak of nature whose physical gifts make up for the drops (kind of like TO). Vance has very good physical gifts, but he's nowhere near as athletic as Davis; and that's why I'm worried.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am amazed at how many people are miss remembering McDonald's traits from the draft. Everyone thinks that he was known as a good|great pass catching WA who was moved to TE after the draft.

In reality he was a blocking WR who had shown potential to be a good receiver but was known as a great blicker. He was lined up all over the place including as a H-back. He was going to need time to learn to block in line. Also he needed more reps catching passes as he was inconsistent as it was new to him. But he had shown natural catching ability so he would learn in time.

If you watch his Rice highlights you would she he had lots of easy drops, but made hard catches. I remarked at the time he was just like Walker that way.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am amazed at how many people are miss remembering McDonald's traits from the draft. Everyone thinks that he was known as a good|great pass catching WA who was moved to TE after the draft.

In reality he was a blocking WR who had shown potential to be a good receiver but was known as a great blicker. He was lined up all over the place including as a H-back. He was going to need time to learn to block in line. Also he needed more reps catching passes as he was inconsistent as it was new to him. But he had shown natural catching ability so he would learn in time.

If you watch his Rice highlights you would she he had lots of easy drops, but made hard catches. I remarked at the time he was just like Walker that way.

then we spent too high a pick on him.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then we spent too high a pick on him.

No they did not. He went right where he was supposed to go. Remember that the 9ers jumped Seattle to get him and right afterwards Seattle traded down because they wanted him. He has a very high ceiling and a high floor as well. At worst he is a bulldozing blocking TE who can make some first down catches. But he is more comparable to a Jermey Shockey or a Jason Witten type TE. He shows the instinct to be a great pass catcher. He just needs more reps catching the ball. He will have some drops every now and then but it is a matter of concentration which he can learn. He does catch with his hands and not his body.

With Davis holding out he is getting all the first team reps and that is huge. Tight Ends usually take 2 to 3 years to develop into a good TE. Heck Davis sucked at TE until he was thrown out of the game by Singletary. Once he does develop better catching skills he will be a first down/ touch down weapon. He wont get much after the catch, but he will run over people. Like he did Richard Sherman. Flat out ran him over.

[YOUTUBE]O0MY-uC8XL0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyde might become the feature back sooner than people think. He is out performing everyone in training camp from the RB spot. Gore might be his backup by the end of the season.

From everyone reports Bruce Ellington is balling. I have heard people compare him to Wes Welker. Wouldn't that be nice.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hyde might become the feature back sooner than people think. He is out performing everyone in training camp from the RB spot. Gore might be his backup by the end of the season.

From everyone reports Bruce Ellington is balling. I have heard people compare him to Wes Welker. Wouldn't that be nice.

I see Gore being the "starter" the entire year but I see his workload drastically reduced and Hyde, Hunter, and even Lattimore if he continues to get more explosive will be getting touches.

I believe the goal will be to have our RBs healthy and strong for the end of the season and playoffs whereas last season it was clear Gore was pretty gassed out towards the end of it.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lattimore said today he is going after Gores spot and he is going to start.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49 more days till first preseason game

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are saying Bruce looks good and Hyde can do it all. Good sings from the rookies so far. Cant wait for the season.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Gore being the "starter" the entire year but I see his workload drastically reduced and Hyde, Hunter, and even Lattimore if he continues to get more explosive will be getting touches.

I believe the goal will be to have our RBs healthy and strong for the end of the season and playoffs whereas last season it was clear Gore was pretty gassed out towards the end of it.

I think Gore will get 50% of the snaps and then a Mix between every one else. Wouldn't shock me if Lat and Hyde look good that they trade Hunter for like a 3rd or 4th rd pick if this was the case.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They are saying Bruce looks good and Hyde can do it all. Good sings from the rookies so far. Cant wait for the season.

I agree. I tend to hesitate until they get into pads, but I love hearing about the rookies doing well. Hyde out running Cox to the corner of the endzone is a pretty awesome thought. Hyde is a big man to be running that fast. I loved the Hyde pick, but I am an admitted homer.