• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good read from Barrows focusing on a few players to wrap up OTAs. Great news on Ellington, Patton, and Morris and Cook. I'm very curious to see Cook in our scheme; I know he was awful last year but several DBs who have struggled in other systems have done well in ours.

Arrow up: Which 49ers stood out this spring? - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

And I liked this part. Looks like Sick has been crashing Barrows' chats:

What? You have more questions about the 49ers' spring drills? Fine. I will be hosting a chat today at 11 a.m. You can ask any question you want, but I will only answer the good ones. Questions that begin, “HEY MATT CAN WE TRADE _______” will be tossed out immediately.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lattimore said today he is going after Gores spot and he is going to start.

good, this is the way all players should think. don't know if he should say in the media, but certainly think it inside.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hyde might become the feature back sooner than people think. He is out performing everyone in training camp from the RB spot. Gore might be his backup by the end of the season.

From everyone reports Bruce Ellington is balling. I have heard people compare him to Wes Welker. Wouldn't that be nice.

not going this far but should it happen, no problem here.

Gore not only picks up blocking well, but makes very good blocks. we'll see how long it takes Hyde to pick it up? but then he also needs to make good blocks following.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man it's gonna piss me off watching other teams pick up our scraps come cut time.....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man it's gonna piss me off watching other teams pick up our scraps come cut time.....

appears that way, we'll cut some good players or players with good potential. but guess that's better than the 49ers needing to pick up 'scraps'?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or like last season get some 7th round picks

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was also stated in that article Crims had posted:
Chris Cook - DB - 49ers

Chris Cook worked as the 49ers' starting right cornerback throughout spring practices.

Chris Culliver is coming off a torn ACL, and Eric Wright retired. Tramaine Brock will play left cornerback for San Francisco this year. A rehab project signed to a one-year, minimum contract this offseason, Cook will give Culliver his toughest competition in camp. Rookie Jimmie Ward is penned in at slot corner.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jun 22 - 2:48 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was also stated in that article Crims had posted:
Chris Cook - DB - 49ers

Chris Cook worked as the 49ers' starting right cornerback throughout spring practices.

Chris Culliver is coming off a torn ACL, and Eric Wright retired. Tramaine Brock will play left cornerback for San Francisco this year. A rehab project signed to a one-year, minimum contract this offseason, Cook will give Culliver his toughest competition in camp. Rookie Jimmie Ward is penned in at slot corner.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jun 22 - 2:48 PM

Brock needs to stay healthy so don't push him hard this off-season/pre-season.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lawrence Okoye - DL - 49ers

49ers DE Lawrence Okoye is not expected to make the roster as a defensive lineman.

The freakishly athletic ex-Olympian has struggled in D-Line drills and goes 6-foot-6, which requires a ton of knee-bending on the defensive line. CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco does suggest Okoye could make the Niners as a kick-coverage maven, where he can "blast down the field faster than men who weigh 75 pounds less." At 304 pounds, Okoye ran as fast as 4.78 in the forty last year.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jun 23 - 12:59 PM

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawrence Okoye - DL - 49ers

49ers DE Lawrence Okoye is not expected to make the roster as a defensive lineman.

The freakishly athletic ex-Olympian has struggled in D-Line drills and goes 6-foot-6, which requires a ton of knee-bending on the defensive line. CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco does suggest Okoye could make the Niners as a kick-coverage maven, where he can "blast down the field faster than men who weigh 75 pounds less." At 304 pounds, Okoye ran as fast as 4.78 in the forty last year.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jun 23 - 12:59 PM

Harbaugh has said that Okoye will have to make the team as a DL and not a special teams ace. I hope we don't let him sniff STs in preseason only give him reps as a DL that way we can stash him on PS this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh has said that Okoye will have to make the team as a DL and not a special teams ace. I hope we don't let him sniff STs in preseason only give him reps as a DL that way we can stash him on PS this year.

if he is struggling as a linemen now, don't see how one more year will make him competitive? rather we use that PS spot on someone who has a better chance. I'm sure there will be more than enough candidates to 'stash' on the PS. to start with we drafted 12 players, and only 3 will be on IR.

nothing against Okoye, but we all knew the odds were huge.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he is struggling as a linemen now, don't see how one more year will make him competitive? rather we use that PS spot on someone who has a better chance. I'm sure there will be more than enough candidates to 'stash' on the PS. to start with we drafted 12 players, and only 3 will be on IR.

nothing against Okoye, but we all knew the odds were huge.

I disagree. He is such a freakish athlete whose problem is simply lack of exposure to the sport. He has proven to be able to pick things up very quickly. I think he is ideal for a PS spot because his upside far exceeds that of UDFA IMO.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He is such a freakish athlete whose problem is simply lack of exposure to the sport. He has proven to be able to pick things up very quickly. I think he is ideal for a PS spot because his upside far exceeds that of UDFA IMO.

:agree: He doesn't struggle from lack of talent or motivation. He struggles from lack of technique and experience. The latter can be taught while the former can't. The PS is for players to develop and I would rather give Okoye 2 years on the PS to do just that then any other late round/UDFA we currently have on the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The freakishly athletic ex-Olympian has struggled in D-Line drills and goes 6-foot-6, which requires a ton of knee-bending on the defensive line.

After one year he is still struggling, and struggling with just drills. is this an indication "He has proven to be able to pick things up very quickly."?

how much more exposure would he need, one more year on the PS? after another year he'll be good enough to make the team? not just any team, but an NFL team, the SF 49ers who're stacked at DL.

so while we're mesmerized with his athletic ability, we cut someone who HAS exposure to the sport? cut someone like Lynch, Ramsey, or Dial? cut someone who could actually compete for a roster spot next season?

again, nothing against Okoye and nothing against him trying out, but EVERYOPNE knew the odds of him panning out.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The freakishly athletic ex-Olympian has struggled in D-Line drills and goes 6-foot-6, which requires a ton of knee-bending on the defensive line.

After one year he is still struggling, and struggling with just drills. is this an indication "He has proven to be able to pick things up very quickly."?

how much more exposure would he need, one more year on the PS? after another year he'll be good enough to make the team? not just any team, but an NFL team, the SF 49ers who're stacked at DL.

so while we're mesmerized with his athletic ability, we cut someone who HAS exposure to the sport? cut someone like Lynch, Ramsey, or Dial? cut someone who could actually compete for a roster spot next season?

again, nothing against Okoye and nothing against him trying out, but EVERYOPNE knew the odds of him panning out.

I'm guessing that you have never exceeded in a sport to a level high enough to truly appreciate how quickly he picked up throwing and then subsequently dominated shortly there after. Just because he has struggled in DL drills within his FIRST YEAR of American Football doesn't mean he can't. It means he needs more seasoning. Frankly, he has FAR more upside the Dial or Ramsey IMO. I'm not advocating him on the 53 but considering some of the slop that has been on our PS, I would love to see him get two more years of work with Tomsula in before we give up on him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm guessing that you have never exceeded in a sport to a level high enough to truly appreciate how quickly he picked up throwing and then subsequently dominated shortly there after. Just because he has struggled in DL drills within his FIRST YEAR of American Football doesn't mean he can't. It means he needs more seasoning. Frankly, he has FAR more upside the Dial or Ramsey IMO. I'm not advocating him on the 53 but considering some of the slop that has been on our PS, I would love to see him get two more years of work with Tomsula in before we give up on him.

we talking discus or football?

isn't this his second off-season?

I get the freakish ability and high ceiling, but there are limits to that too. there a lots of freakish prospects who never panned out, and most played college football. there are many examples of 'work out warriors', who never panned out. aren't workout warriors 'freakish athletes'?

freakish ability doesn't always translate to NFL football player. season them all you want, the Mike Mamula types never did pan out.

even if Okoye could "play low", that tidbit - struggling in drills - is indicating what kind of learning curve? cause unless he can compete for a spot NEXT season, we should keep someone who can.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okoye has been praised ever since we picked him up. And frankly, I have never understood why. Great athlete, but he clearly does not know what he's doing on a football field. There's no way he makes this team. Not this year, not next year, not ever.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we talking discus or football?

isn't this his second off-season?

I get the freakish ability and high ceiling, but there are limits to that too. there a lots of freakish prospects who never panned out, and most played college football. there are many examples of 'work out warriors', who never panned out. aren't workout warriors 'freakish athletes'?

freakish ability doesn't always translate to NFL football player. season them all you want, the Mike Mamula types never did pan out.

even if Okoye could "play low", that tidbit - struggling in drills - is indicating what kind of learning curve? cause unless he can compete for a spot NEXT season, we should keep someone who can.

Yes it is but he hasn't practiced at least with the team since last offseason since he went onto IR. So he still is learning which is why a year of PS would be perfect for him IMO