• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers or Eagles. Which franchise has been dumber this off season?

Which franchise is dumber at this point? Eagles or 49ers?

• Eagles

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • 49ers

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if their arch-rival and likely roadblock in the division had a free agent? (DeMarco Murray)
What if that RB was exactly the type of vertical power back Chip Kelly covets?
What if that RB was best friends with Sam Bradford and would be willing to take less than LeSean McCoy to play with his good buddy?
What if they signed a capable back like Ryan Matthews to give a break for Murray at times?
What if that RB, Murray, actually called the Eagles and looked for a deal?

IF all those are true as it is starting to appear, than the Eagles offseason might be:
Taking Dallas best player
Upgrading a weakness at linebacker
Upgrading two weaknesses at Corner
Signing a big quarterback who works well with the current OC
Signing a backup quarterback in case the starter is at times an injury risk
Using a draft pick to get a receiver in a very deep receiver draft at 1/4th the cost of Maclin.

Suddenly that doesn't looks like that bad at all.

Who knows? Just a possibility..

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily the Eagles. The 49ers are just coming to grips with the window closing and not making dumb decisions with veterans. The Eagles have a head coach that obviously thinks he's more important than the players and is going to run that team into the ground. He's starting to look like Steve Spurrier version 2. The NCAA is a coaches league and the NFL is a players league, and he's going to learn that cold, hard fact the hard way.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaying for players is not the same as ruining a team.

Sure the Eagles probably overpaid for Maxwell, he is getting paid like an A+ corner (while more likely a B+).

But they had the worst secondary in all of football. Chip has to sit on the sidelines last season and watch Dallas and Washington light them up in december.

No matter how much offense they could muster, the defense was pathetic.
What good is scoring 35 points if you allow 40?

They got a tremendous UPGRADE at their weakest position....maybe the weakest in the entire league.
Yeah, they likely overpaid....but it still makes the team instantly better.

MAXWELL + THURMOND is a remarkable better tandem than the complete steaming dogpile they had in 2014.
This Seahawk fan rates him as an A-, being generous.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if their arch-rival and likely roadblock in the division had a free agent? (DeMarco Murray)
What if that RB was exactly the type of vertical power back Chip Kelly covets?
What if that RB was best friends with Sam Bradford and would be willing to take less than LeSean McCoy to play with his good buddy?
What if they signed a capable back like Ryan Matthews to give a break for Murray at times?
What if that RB, Murray, actually called the Eagles and looked for a deal?

IF all those are true as it is starting to appear, than the Eagles offseason might be:
Taking Dallas best player
Upgrading a weakness at linebacker
Upgrading two weaknesses at Corner
Signing a big quarterback who works well with the current OC
Signing a backup quarterback in case the starter is at times an injury risk
Using a draft pick to get a receiver in a very deep receiver draft at 1/4th the cost of Maclin.

Suddenly that doesn't looks like that bad at all.

Who knows? Just a possibility..

And you make great points...but they are based on a metric assload of "what if's" that were perceivably not there prior to FA starting, especially pertaining to Murray's interest in playing for the Eagles. Before FA started, Chip had already traded Shady away and Maclin was getting interest from teams around the league NOT named PHI. Trading Foles for a guy who has yet to prove he can step on the field without blowing something out after an entire rookie contract didn't make sense initially either. I don't think paying for CB help was a bad thing, I just didn't understand McCoy and Maclin being ousted this year and DeSean last. Are all 3 guys terrible "character guys" or locker room cancers? I get the cap space help that ridding yourself of McCoy's contract gives and there may actually be some master plan...but it almost feels as if there has to be a bunch of dumb luck involved in order for that master plan to come to fruition.

At the end of the day, I do think that Murray is using McCoy's jettisoning as an opportunity to use PHI huge cap space to drive his price up to allow DAL to match, obviously using the rivalry to drum up more interest. It was leaked today (and if I find the link to the NFL insider's twitter if I can find it again) that DAL is being given the opportunity to match money by Murray's people from other offers.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are in semi roster implosion / multi-year rebuild mode. Most of their fans won't admit it, but some are painfully letting out groans about it. It happens when a new coach comes in with a roster full of aging vets. The house cleaning will benefit them in the longrun if their patient and don't go on free agent sprees. Sad it's happening right when they get that new stadium and seat licenses are like taking out a second mortgage, but that's what happens when you live in one of the most overpriced cities on the planet for cost of living.

The Eagles have given Kelly way too much control and he's making some ridiculous rookie mistakes. I think he obviously has no interest the pro game, and wants to desperately get back to college ball where his doush bag Napoleon syndrome assholishness will be tolerated by a school that cares nothing about running a clean program and buys players. He'll probably end up coaching a SEC team in a 2 years. That will be a marriage made in heaven.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are in semi roster implosion / multi-year rebuild mode. Most of their fans won't admit it, but some are painfully letting out groans about it. It happens when a new coach comes in with a roster full of aging vets. The house cleaning will benefit them in the longrun if their patient and don't go on free agent sprees. Sad it's happening right when they get that new stadium and seat licenses are like taking out a second mortgage, but that's what happens when you live in one of the most overpriced cities on the planet for cost of living.

The Eagles have given Kelly way too much control and he's making some ridiculous rookie mistakes. I think he obviously has no interest the pro game, and wants to desperately get back to college ball where his doush bag Napoleon syndrome assholishness will be tolerated by a school that cares nothing about running a clean program and buying players. He'll probably end up coaching a SEC team in a 2 years. That will be a marriage made in heaven.

Regent, what you said pertaining to the Niners isn't entirely accurate, but potentially could be. The Niners roster "implosion" isn't that in the form of our FA going elsewhere. Like I've already stated, Thomas was drafted knowing damn well Iupati was chasing a pay day. Hyde was traded up for and drafted as the heir apparent to Gore. Tank Carradine was drafted as the heir apparent to Cowboy. Balk drafted 4 CBs last season and signed Cook from MIN knowing that Brown, Rogers last season, with Culliver and Cox hitting FA this season. Stevie Johnson was traded for to take over for Crabtree at a price that was lower then Crabtree was reportedly asking for. The only "semi-roster implosion" was Ray McDonald being a fucking jackass at the end of last season, which is why I presume Dockett was signed, and the sudden retirement of Patrick Willis...and even then, Baalke drafted Borland last year and due to injuries we got a good glimpse at how good he is as well.

I don't believe that the Niners will overspend in FA bc they typically don't. Since Baalke has taken over, the only contracts I can say were big were actually for less dollars then the incumbent was asking for (see Whitner/Bethea and Crabtree/Smith). All other FA signings have been of the dumpster diving variety, and that has been where Baalke has done well.

The question marks come from two areas. First, can the young guns actually BE the "next man up" and do their jobs at a comparable level? Second, did the new coaching staff see the errors of the prior staff and will/can they improve on them and how competently they do so. This roster, despite many's doom and gloom projections, is still VERY talented. Remember, the Niners had a top 5 defense last year with 7 starters out most, if not all, of the season. Injuries hit big which is why I think people don't remember the talent still on this squad. This becomes more of a rebuild mode if the above mentioned players cannot fill in adequately for vet losses when given their opportunity...and only time will tell.

Can Baalke trade York for a can of Cope, a spittoon, and a couple beat up shoulder pads? That would solve much of the problem. That, or fit Lil York with a muzzle.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Eagles have given Kelly way too much control and he's making some ridiculous rookie mistakes. I think he obviously has no interest the pro game, and wants to desperately get back to college ball where his doush bag Napoleon syndrome assholishness will be tolerated by a school that cares nothing about running a clean program and buys players. He'll probably end up coaching a SEC team in a 2 years. That will be a marriage made in heaven.

Separate note, the bolded has been the blind rally cry of many a SEA fan when assessing the Niners. WHO comprises this roster FULL of aging vets? What do you consider aging?

Boldin?
Cowboy?
Gore?
Maybe Bethea
Dawson our kicker?!?
Now Docket?

That's 5-6 (depending if you are going to be a turd about adding a K in this number) out of 53...not sure why this tagline continues to be spewed. It's like asking a 3 yr old how old they think you are and their response is like 30 yrs older then you really are based on perception. The Niners aren't as young as the Hawks but they aren't collectively old either.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot you said there dred It's why I used the term "semi implosion" rather than "nuke the fridge".

Carroll and Schneider nuked the fridge when they arrived bigtime. It took patience, but we saw what they were building and it was a lot of fun to watch. Sure there was pain along the way, but it was fun to watch it develop.

Behind the scenes, I've been reading some pretty positive stories about your new HC. He's got a good rep with players and within the coaching ranks.

SF does have some talented pieces there that aren't over the hill and you want to keep. I think you finally found a workhorse replacement with Hyde for Gore. When you drafted Hyde, I groaned because I knew the potential there. He looked solid his rookie season and I think you got a NFC West style workhorse RB there for years to come. Love that the NFCW still puts a lot of emphasis on running the rock. It pays off bigtime when playing the pass happy teams that don't build Ds to defend both pass and run.

Again, the cupboard is not bare for the 9ers. Baring some total draft disasters, the rebuild could go faster for SF than it did for Seattle.

But they are obviously doing some heavy house cleaning with the roster. 2015 could be a heavy transition year for the 9ers and their fans better be prep'd for it. Some NFL teams are soo locked in with being sentimental for vets and fan favorites, they aren't willing to make the tough choices and end up in cap hell and underachieving for it.

I'm looking forward to the next stage of this rivalry for years to come between 9ers and Hawks. Love how it drives the competition.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither team was winning a SB anytime soon with how they were constructed. While their moves may not be popular they were necessary without a doubt.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I thought it was the eagles until they signed Murray. I'm not quite sold on foles, I don't think he will be great for stl. Maclin is good, but not great. Bradford is a risk, but if chip can get a replacement number 1 wr, then I think the eagles really had a pretty good offseason. The 49ers offseason was shit when they let Harbaugh go.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the Bradford deal because he's exactly the opposite of what Chip wants from his QB. And he's going to completely mortgage the Eagles future for years if he trades up for Mariota. Take a look at the Redskins, Chip. Don't do it.

Baring that insanity, Sanchez will be the 2015 starter and that's probably their best option. Just wait till the right QB comes in next years draft or 17. Meanwhile, build up the D.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying 49ers fired Harbaugh presumes you know how it really went down and that it was different than what was presented to the world -- the mutual parting of ways as Harbaugh goes back to coach his alma mater.

The news in the Bay Area was all over this topic.

After the Super Bowl it became very apparent York told Harbaugh he wouldn't be back after the loss against Seattle and subsequently spent the rest of the season as persona non grata. No wonder they tanked.

There was no amicable parting of ways. It was the 49ers brass kicking him straight out. At the 49ers museum at Levi's Stadium, they quickly proceeded to remove any and all reference to Jim Harbaugh with the exception of basic statistical data as though they were saying "yeah that guy coached 3 years for us, and let us never speak of it again." It was a move loaded with spite.

That said, firing the coach that got them to three consecutive NFC championships and got them 5 yards from the Lombardi Trophy, is a pretty dumb move. That's almost as dumb as the Raiders trading Gruden to Tampa Bay and we all saw how that worked out.

Something is definitely wrong in the 49ers front office if long time guys like Gore and Willis are headed for the door. To take a franchise that was a perennial contender and run it into the ground in such a short period definitely makes the York/Balke braintrust one of the dumbest in the NFL.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After the Super Bowl it became very apparent York told Harbaugh he wouldn't be back after the loss against Seattle and subsequently spent the rest of the season as persona non grata. No wonder they tanked.

There was no amicable parting of ways. It was the 49ers brass kicking him straight out. At the 49ers museum at Levi's Stadium, they quickly proceeded to remove any and all reference to Jim Harbaugh with the exception of basic statistical data as though they were saying "yeah that guy coached 3 years for us, and let us never speak of it again." It was a move loaded with spite.

That said, firing the coach that got them to three consecutive NFC championships and got them 5 yards from the Lombardi Trophy, is a pretty dumb move. That's almost as dumb as the Raiders reading Gruden to Tampa Bay and we all saw how that worked out.

Something is definitely wrong in the 49ers front office if long time guys like Gore and Willis are headed for the door. To take a franchise that was a perennial contender and run it into the ground in such a short period definitely makes the York/Balke braintrust one of the dumbest in the NFL.

Agree with everything said except the bolded. The bolded is the Niner way. Ask Lott, Montana, Rice, Craig, etc. Get rid a year early rather then a year late.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything said except the bolded. The bolded is the Niner way. Ask Lott, Montana, Rice, Craig, etc. Get rid a year early rather then a year late.

The Walsh mantra. Sound advice certainly but we got some good years out of Jerry Rice across the bay including a Super Bowl appearance. Also Charlie Garner was awesome!

Regardless, the guys you mentioned left under different circumstances than what happened on Monday and as a result, the 49ers still continued to have successful seasons because they had depth with guys like Steve Young while Montana was approaching his Brett Favre period.

Gore, Willis and Iupati basically just said "I'm done with this team. See ya!" There was no trading there. These guys wanted out as soon as they could get out.

I bet Willis' toe would have felt just fine next season if the 49ers made it to the NFC championship this year.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Walsh mantra. Sound advice certainly but we got some good years out of Jerry Rice across the bay including a Super Bowl appearance. Also Charlie Garner was awesome!

Regardless, the guys you mentioned left under different circumstances than what happened on Monday and as a result, the 49ers still continued to have successful seasons because they had depth with guys like Steve Young while Montana was approaching his Brett Favre period.

Gore, Willis and Iupati basically just said "I'm done with this team. See ya!" There was no trading there. These guys wanted out as soon as they could get out.

I bet Willis' toe would have felt just fine next season if the 49ers made it to the NFC championship this year.

Iupati chased a paycheck.

Gore wanted to be the man and he wasn't going to get that in SF at this point in his career, much to the chagrin of Niner fans. He wasn't traded but neither was Rice, and both were fazed out of future plans.

Willis has stated in the past his love for Tomsula and I (maybe naively) believe that his toe had been bothering him for a few years, like he stated TWO years ago.

You can make this out to be bigger then it is and that's fine...but the reality is that for one reason or another, its the end of an era but the beginning of another...time will tell if this is a reload situation or as Regent puts it, we are nuking the fridge.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say with the signing of Murray, they have seemed to turn things around imo. Although, the Bradford trade is still strange to me. Then again, if he does get injured I believe they will be compensated.

Essentially, they have actually upgraded their RB situation AND landed a quality LB (at least from two years ago) in Alonso.

It may work, but if Foles thrives and Bradford shits the bed.....Chip will not be able live that down.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That said, firing the coach that got them to three consecutive NFC championships and got them 5 yards from the Lombardi Trophy, is a pretty dumb move. That's almost as dumb as the Raiders trading Gruden to Tampa Bay and we all saw how that worked out.

Well Jerry did set the precedent. He brags to this day he fired Jimmy Johnson AFTER the second straight super bowl title.

After that, anything is essentially possible.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither team was winning a SB anytime soon with how they were constructed. While their moves may not be popular they were necessary without a doubt.
The 49ers were in a tailspin last season and the Eagles finished poorly.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad that didn't apply to Harbaugh.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people don't realize foles is set to make some decent money in 2016 and the eagles do not view him as their future QB. so, with cap space, they traded for another 1 year player who has more potential. one they might view as their future QB if he can stay on the field and produce. if not, it's "who cares" to them. they'll just continue the search. so why waste time with foles when you can give another guy a look?