• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers or Eagles. Which franchise has been dumber this off season?

Which franchise is dumber at this point? Eagles or 49ers?

• Eagles

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • 49ers

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted SF. My reason was based upon who is at the top of the franchise, the owner. The owner can't be fired. He sets everything in motion.
If Skip's team under performs, he will get axed and Lurie hunts for a replacement.
If SF fails, they remain stuck with a buffoon of an owner.
You can't fix stupid, but Philly can certainly fire it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where you are talking out of your ass. Both bolded points are false top to bottom.

Willis is no Okung, the guy plays through nagging injuries. In fact, his games played over the course of his career:
2014-6
2013-14
2012-16
2011-13
2010-15
2009-16
2008-16
2007-16

With regards to Smith vs Crabtree. There are two different arguments to debunk your "wash". First, simply look at stats and you will see Torrey Smith is a significant upgrade in pure production alone. Try Google. Second, understand the role each would play in the offense. Having Stevie Johnson, Boldin, and Crabtree is redundant given all 3 offering similar skill sets. Torrey Smith provides the Niners with a much needed deep threat, something seriously lacking for awhile now.

Dude, calm the heck down. Willis has been injured 3 of the past 4 seasons. His #s are not the same as they were his first 4 seasons and even his 2012 season wasn't as productive (although he had a bit of a better supporting cast).

Smith vs. Crabtree, I prob. should've stated it's a wash assuming Crabs is healthy (returns to form), but the 9ers paid him almost like a #1 which he's really not. Yes he gives them a deep threat which Crabtree isn't quite, but Boldin is getting older as well so you might lose the production at possession receiver.

Either way, stop coming off like a complete dickhead in your posts.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with the Niners here. Their offseason was so stupid, I'm surprised it didn't start with "Hey, hold my beer."

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say the Eagles because much of what has happened to the Niners outside of Harbaugh was out of the FO's control. The Harbaugh fiasco turned into an absolute shit show so the Niners get points for stupidity there, but ultimately the FO couldn't dictate that Willis would retire, that Justin Smith would retire, or the arrests of other idiots on the team.

The Eagles, specifically Chip, is guilty on shooting himself in the leg multiple times this offseason, trading FOR Bradford, trading AWAY McCoy, allowing Maclin to leave the building without a contract, severely overpaying for a #2 CB, while also losing out on their RB plan B and cutting (seemingly) anyone productive last season that carried a semi-high price tag.
I'd have to disagree.

The firing of Harbaugh, and more importantly, not replacing him with a high caliber HC, is at least part of the reason most of your FA's have flown the coop.

York told Baalke early on that Harbaugh requested a different GM. This lead to all sorts of issues between Baalke and Harbaugh. It was badly botched and showed how in over his head York is.

They make the decision to get rid of Harbaugh and move on. Great, what's their plan for replacing the only HC to bring them to the SB in the last 20 years? Right, they had none.

Baalke basically offers the job to Gase and Gase said he was set to take it. Baalke goes back to the home office and is told by York that Tomsula must be kept on staff and promoted to DC. Gase is informed of this change and declines to take the job. Tomsula is named the HC shortly thereafter.

The mass exodus follows.

Maybe they didn't directly push those FA's out the door or ask for players to retire, but there is little chance they all happen if Harbaugh, or a competent known quantity at HC is still there.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, calm the heck down. Willis has been injured 3 of the past 4 seasons. His #s are not the same as they were his first 4 seasons and even his 2012 season wasn't as productive (although he had a bit of a better supporting cast).

Smith vs. Crabtree, I prob. should've stated it's a wash assuming Crabs is healthy (returns to form), but the 9ers paid him almost like a #1 which he's really not. Yes he gives them a deep threat which Crabtree isn't quite, but Boldin is getting older as well so you might lose the production at possession receiver.

I call it like I see it. You WERE talking out your ass bc a simple Google search would have found you to be wrong on both counts. If that hurts your feelings, go see a shrink about it.

Crabtree has had ONE productive season and is still coming back from his torn achilles while Smith has been productive and relatively healthy throughout. That is pretty much the OPPOSITE of a wash. Boldin getting older was why the Niners acquired Stevie Johnson at a cheaper annual then Crabtree was asking for.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to disagree.

The firing of Harbaugh, and more importantly, not replacing him with a high caliber HC, is at least part of the reason most of your FA's have flown the coop.

York told Baalke early on that Harbaugh requested a different GM. This lead to all sorts of issues between Baalke and Harbaugh. It was badly botched and showed how in over his head York is.

They make the decision to get rid of Harbaugh and move on. Great, what's their plan for replacing the only HC to bring them to the SB in the last 20 years? Right, they had none.

Baalke basically offers the job to Gase and Gase said he was set to take it. Baalke goes back to the home office and is told by York that Tomsula must be kept on staff and promoted to DC. Gase is informed of this change and declines to take the job. Tomsula is named the HC shortly thereafter.

The mass exodus follows.

Maybe they didn't directly push those FA's out the door or ask for players to retire, but there is little chance they all happen if Harbaugh, or a competent known quantity at HC is still there.

Wiz, trust me when I tell you that I am FURIOUS with the entire HC firing/hiring process but you are WRONG with the bolded.

Iupati, Culliver, Cox, and Crabtree have been looking for top dollar, which is why they flew the coup. Last year, the Niners traded for Stevie Johnson to eventually replace Crabtree, drafted Brandon Thomas to replace Iupati, and drafted Acker, Reaser, Ward, and Johnson while also signing Chris Cook from MIN to take over the vacated CB spots from Cully and Cox. That seems like a franchise that is preparing to lose key players and looking to replace them before it becomes a desperate search.

Justin Smith is on record stating that Tomsula is the best coach he has ever had and many local writers have speculated that Tomsula has been the guy that has talked JS back from retirement the past two years already. Willis has sung Tomsula's praises from the moment the both got to SF in 2007 and his retirement sounds based more on severity of injury then anything....just notice how many times he mentioned his feet and not wanting to play if it's not at HIS high standard.

The hiring/firing scenario fucked us more in getting an experienced coaching staff put together then it ever did in FA. Either way, this shit storm is on York and Baalke.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your FA's would have left anyway. Can't say I'm expecting Tomsula and Baalke to restock the cupboards in a way that makes them a serious threat this coming season. At best that means its too early to tell which team had the worst off season.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A bit better of a supporting cast? All Pro Bowman and Aldon Smith with improved S help (Pro Bowlers Goldson, Whitner, now Pro Bowlers Reid and Bethea). Willis was out of this world in the early years BECAUSE he had nobody around him. As they put more pieces around him, his "production" dropped. That's to be expected.

My issue with your arguments is that you tend to have nothing to support your arguments other then your perceptions based on SportsCenter highlights.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your FA's would have left anyway. Can't say I'm expecting Tomsula and Baalke to restock the cupboards in a way that makes them a serious threat this coming season. At best that means its too early to tell which team had the worst off season.

I am not worried about restocking the cupboards TBH bc Baalke does THAT well. What I worry about is the competency of Cryst as an OC and to a lesser extent, Mangini as the DC and their ability to get the most out of the talent we still have on the roster.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit better of a supporting cast? All Pro Bowman and Aldon Smith with improved S help (Pro Bowlers Goldson, Whitner, now Pro Bowlers Reid and Bethea). Willis was out of this world in the early years BECAUSE he had nobody around him. As they put more pieces around him, his "production" dropped. That's to be expected.

My issue with your arguments is that you tend to have nothing to support your arguments other then your perceptions based on SportsCenter highlights.

Niners fans... :L

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaying for players is not the same as ruining a team.

Sure the Eagles probably overpaid for Maxwell, he is getting paid like an A+ corner (while more likely a B+).

But they had the worst secondary in all of football. Chip has to sit on the sidelines last season and watch Dallas and Washington light them up in december.

No matter how much offense they could muster, the defense was pathetic.
What good is scoring 35 points if you allow 40?

They got a tremendous UPGRADE at their weakest position....maybe the weakest in the entire league.
Yeah, they likely overpaid....but it still makes the team instantly better.

MAXWELL + THURMOND is a remarkable better tandem than the complete steaming dogpile they had in 2014.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers firing Harbaugh, Eagles making mover after move that makes their team worse.

I still cannot believe they traded away Foles for Bradford. If there was ONE QB out there that has little to zero ability to run what Chip Kelly wants to run, it is Bradford. He traded for him and traded away a QB that ran that offense like a top?
The 49ers regressed last season under Harbaugh. His decision to start Kaepernick was terrible. Chip Kelly is just getting the type of players he is comfortable with and this season will indicate if his personnel decisions are bad.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone want Bradford with his injury history which started back in college? He's not suddenly going to stay healthy. He's just injury prone. Some players are like that.
Jimmy Graham is that type of player.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer to the question is simple. The Jets

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the 5 years he's been in the league he's missed one game. how can you compare him to the porcelain man?
He has had numerous injuries and took himself out of quite a few games. This is why the Saints got rid of him and his bloated contract.

49er_Rick

Drummer for Punk Rock Barbie - Party ON!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problems with the Niner franchise didn't start this year or even last year. It's the Yorks and always has been the Yorks.

IDK what Baalke's deal is and I don't care. Clearly the Yorks Jed and the rest of them, coupled with Baalke don't know how to pick a coach. And before you say, What about Harbaugh, just remember that the passing game was pathetic. The offense which should have been stellar was crap.

You can debate whether or not the Niners should have stayed with Alex Smith but even my roomie who is a HUGE Giants fans said it was a mistake to promote Kaepernick. Just go back and look at the footage of Alex Smith against the Saints in the NFC divisional playoff game. He went blow for blow.... TD for TD with Drew Brees. Not an easy task.

The read option this is cool for what it is.... but Harbaugh tried to reinvent football..... Like Moneyball. It was a mistake. Why do you think Baalke is now vigorously claiming that they don't plan on trading Kaepernick? There are rumors that the FO wants to get rid of anything to do with Harbaugh.... it was their mistake and they think they can just erase it? I bet they ARE planning to trade Kaepernick..... I bet he gets moved just prior to or during the draft.

Be that as it may... Harbaugh got closer to a SB ring than any coach the Yorks have hired including Mariucci who had fuckin Steve Young and Jerry Rice. If THAT doesn't accurately depict how inept these assholes are then nothing will.

Until the Yorks are gone the Niners are a dead franchise. Oh sure we might be able to make a run.... but in the end the coaching will fail us. It will fail the players. Why do you think talented guys like Willis are just walking away.... yeah he's got a thing with his feet but he's also lost faith. Gore is gone because he knows the Niners have no chance to win a Super Bowl right now. With Luck and the Colts.... he's got a real shot.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it's easy. The Eagles have gotten rid of a tough starting QB, two outstanding WR's & one of the best RB's in the game without getting much in return. The 49ers at least have a lot of young talent on their roster who could replace some of the guys they've lost.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
att comp pct yrds td int rate
Mark Sanchez 309 198 64.1 2418 14 11 88.4
Nick Foles 311 186 59.8 2163 13 10 81.4

You can argue sanchez was the better starter. So how can we be sure they traded their best QB for bradford? Maybe Chip sees Sanchez as the better QB?

Last edited:

potatobread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers for sure. They fired one of their best coaches, went to a Super Bowl, in three NFC championship games.