• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Free Agency Eagles' Mock Draft

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rd 1 Pick 25: Dalton Risner RT/OG

** Risner is a 4 year starter who can play any position on the OL. He was All Big 12 Center as a freshman and then All Big 12 Right Tackle for the following 3 seasons. He allowed zero sacks in 352 snaps last season and only 5 pressures. He's arguably the best run blocking Tackle in this draft yet had only 12 penalties in 4 years as a starter; that's pretty amazing. Some of these Tackle prospects have almost that many in just this past season. He was 3rd in pass blocking efficiency this past season and allowed “zero” inside pressures on the year. His versatility will be a welcomed addition to the Eagles as he can start at either Guard spot; that's especially valuable with Brandon Brooks likely starting the year on IR. He can also be a guy who you can give reps to at Center as Jason Kelce has hinted at retirement in the past. Protecting Carson Wentz needs to be a priority moving forward and snagging Risner at 25 makes sense by improving our depth on the OL.

Rd 2 Pick 53: Jachai Polite DE Florida

** Had a bad Combine showing due to a few things, he added too much weight too quickly thinking that it would improve his draft stock. It ended up being a bad choice as he tweaked his hamstring 10 days prior to the Combine and ran a slow time (body needs time to adjust to added weight). He's since shed most of the weight, is now 100% healthy and plans to play at around 250 which is where he needs to stay. His agent also didn't do a great job of preparing him for the interviews where he got flustered by the questions. All that aside, this kid has the most explosive first step of any End in this class from what I have seen of him. Very athletic with great edge lean, agility and tremendous hand use. The Eagles need to infuse more explosiveness on the Edge and this kid is a step in that direction. He's likely never going to be an every down End at 250 lbs, but with that get off, agility, counter moves and lean, he can thrive as a situational edge rusher.

Rd 2 Pick 57: Darnell Savage S Maryland

** The only reason Savage may make it to this spot would be his size; at 5'11” 200 he's on the small side for a Safety, but his skills are unquestionable. Fluid/fast and twitchy DB who attacks the ball carrier quickly and with explosion. In the Eagles scheme which often employs 3 Safeties on the field at the same time, having the ability to cover slot receivers is very important and Savage has that type of ability. This is a great Safety class, so there is a good chance that Savage may fall to this spot with others like Rapp, Thornhill, Abram, Gardner-Johnson, Thompson and Adderly all likely going in Day 1 or Day 2. Savage would likely take a back seat his rookie season (barring injuries) as the Eagles have 3 seasoned vets ahead of him, but all 3 (Jenkins, McLeod, Sendejo) are up there in football age, so for now he learns behind some of the best vets out there.

Rd 4 Pick 127: Darwin Thompson Utah State

** Here's your replacement for Darren Sproles with a player in Thompson who resembles him a great deal. In case you guys have never heard of him, watch the vid below. He's 5'8” 200 lbs, but he's a human pinball machine. Very similar to Chicago RB (ironically) Tarik Cohen. Excellent option as a receiver out of the backfield who would be the perfect compliment to Jordan Howard. Very strong RB in both his upper and lower body, very difficult to bring down and has a great stiff arm (amazing 28 reps at 225). Explosive athlete who can do a lot without needing a ton of touches.

Rd 4 Compensatory Pick 138: Gary Jennings WR West Virginia

** Reliable slot receiver. One of the best in 2018 with respect to contested catches and he runs pro routes in that system. At nearly 6'2” 215 lbs with a 4.42 Combine 40 time he can play inside or outside in a pro Offense, but he would likely start his career backing up Nelson Agholor in the slot and possibly take over the role in 2020 if Agholor leaves via free agency. He's a better player than this spot in the draft, but with such incredible depth this year at the WR position, some talented players will drop more so than usual.

Rd 5 Pick 163: Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M

** Mack is a fire hydrant type of DT with really good get off. He's 6'1” 335 lbs, but moves really well for that size. Plays with a great base and should rotate in as a run defender in short yardage and goal line situations. He does show some pass rush ability because he fires off the ball quickly; in 2018 he did rack up 5.5 Sacks along with a blocked kick. Competition behind starters Fletcher Cox and Malik Jackson is wide open, so Mack has a good chance of establishing himself right off the jump.

Rd 6 Pick 197: Easton Stick QB North Dakota State

** Let's go to the well twice! :) Stick is no Carson Wentz, but he has some good traits. He has really good speed for a QB at 4.62 Combine speed (same straight line speed as RB Josh Jacobs). He actually reminds me a bit of Jeff Garcia as a passer. With backup QB Nate Sudfeld on the final year of his contract, it would be a good idea to bring in some QB help in case Sudfeld leaves in 2020. Stick already fits the Offense as he ran a similar RPO at ND State.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, this makes too much sense for a mock draft! LOL. You have no right to offer so much information on this forum. :10: Very good work, as usual Rey!

Reactions: Rey

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before anyone brings up the LB position ... I purposely left it off due to the Eagles likely finding fits in the rookie free agent pool. I think the Eagles are comfortable with Backers who can cover the field and cover well instead of those traditional thumpers ... and you can find those types of LB'ers a little later in drafts or in the rookie free agent pool. Between Bradham, Grugier-Hill (who came around nicely), Free Agent addition LJ Fort (who has the right skills for our scheme) and a now healthy Paul Worrilow who stated that he is in the best shape of his life and ready to go ... we should be just fine at the position Paul Worrilow: 'I'm Excited To Re-Write This Story' .

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, it's just that I love White, and am sure that he will be an all-pro for the next decade. Of course, I culd be wrong, but being an expert talent judge (being facetious), I just salivate thinking of him manning the position for a long time. You are correct, of course, that Schwartz just wants cover LB'ers, rather than "thumpers".

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a good chance that the Eagles move out of Rd 1 in this draft. For starters they can re-coup that 3rd rounder, but also because that pick would carry less guaranteed money in future years if it's a 2nd rounder. Every little bit helps with respect to fitting in Carson Wentz' pending new contract.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the iggles have typically had the approach of trying to get a guy in the first round who will be a difference maker. (yes there are instances of where they haven't done that and...). That said they don't have the ammunition typically required to move up into that top 12-18 range.
Does anyone think that this year the difference makers go into the 20s?
And if not wouldn't they be better served by trading back? Getting another 2nd or 3rd?

I think rey's on the right track in terms of the focus for drafting bpa by need.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While they might move out of the 1st (I’m feeling it too) I LOVE the Risner pick.

A really satisfactory mock! And I’m in total agreement on LB. I love a traditional thumper, like White, but this team just doesn’t value LB like that. Cover guys who can hold the middle well enough will do.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it, Rey.
Ideally we address both lines with the first two picks.

Polite is an advanced pass rusher with veteran moves. Ready to go from day one and could put up 8 sacks as a rookie.

I agree we're good at LB. We really only use two at a time and we have 4 solid veterans. Bradham can play the middle.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of buzz lately around the Eagles and Memphis RB Darrell Henderson. Projected to go as early as Rd 2 ... he could be a trade back candidate in the early 2nd for us. I know Duce Staley was sent to his Pro Day to check him out. Howard did not cost much and is only signed for this season ... the Eagles may very well be looking for a "long term" solution to the position as well. Henderson brings that Jamal Charles type explosiveness that we currently lack with any Back on the roster.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of buzz lately around the Eagles and Memphis RB Darrell Henderson. Projected to go as early as Rd 2 ... he could be a trade back candidate in the early 2nd for us. I know Duce Staley was sent to his Pro Day to check him out. Howard did not cost much and is only signed for this season ... the Eagles may very well be looking for a "long term" solution to the position as well. Henderson brings that Jamal Charles type explosiveness that we currently lack with any Back on the roster.

Agree Rey. Here is a link to Henderson;
Darrell Henderson is wildly explosive, but that’s not all

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Eagles plan for RB all along has been to snag one in Rd 2. That's where the value is this year as you have several players at the position worth using a 2nd round pick on. Aside from Henderson you have David Montgomery and Miles Sanders ... two other Backs the Eagles have shown interest in this off season. It also looks like there's no guarantee that Josh Jacobs goes in Rd 1, he could still be on the board early Rd 2 if the Eagles move back.

Getting Jordan Howard was a really nice value move that the team could not pass up, but I think the Eagles would have been fine with just getting a Back from the draft.

Last edited:

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did want a power back, and think Howard fills that need ala Blount. I'm kind of cooling towards Sanders, and a little of Montgomery. If we wait another round or two, I like Justice Hill, but would rather get Henderson. I still want to get a DE, or EDGE, and another tough DT to add to the mix. After that, a Safety.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my RB pick. I feel he will be an outstanding pro. I'm all in.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that the Eagles may even consider trading for Duke Johnson. He wants out of cleveland. Duke and Howard, not bad. Then just draft for defense and offensive lines and a WR.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that the Eagles may even consider trading for Duke Johnson. He wants out of cleveland. Duke and Howard, not bad. Then just draft for defense and offensive lines and a WR.

I think Duke Johnson is still in play here if Cleveland's price in trade gets down to the Eagles liking. He asked to be traded today and his skill set would be a perfect compliment to Jordan Howard. Jets, Texans and Eagles are the teams linked to having trade interest in him.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors surfacing that the Eagles have an interest in Ole Miss WR AJ Brown at 25. Brown is my #1 rated WR in this draft over more pub getting team mate DJ Metcalf. Brown had more receiving yards in 2018 than Metcalf has his entire college career. Matter of fact in 2017 Brown "also" had more receiving yards than Metcalf had his entire college career. Brown has got it done in the slot "and" on the outside ... great hands, great routes and super smooth as a runner. At a strong 6'1" 228 lbs you can line him up anywhere and get results. DJax is 32 and Agholor is on a 1 year option year. Brown would make sense with the current WR circumstances.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors surfacing that the Eagles have an interest in Ole Miss WR AJ Brown at 25. Brown is my #1 rated WR in this draft over more pub getting team mate DJ Metcalf. Brown had more receiving yards in 2018 than Metcalf has his entire college career. Matter of fact in 2017 Brown "also" had more receiving yards than Metcalf had his entire college career. Brown has got it done in the slot "and" on the outside ... great hands, great routes and super smooth as a runner. At a strong 6'1" 228 lbs you can line him up anywhere and get results.
I agree. I really like Brown and liked him more than Metcalf. Metcalf impressed when his photo showed up at the combine. I think he goes earlier tha n Brown. Brown may be the best WR in this draft.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the after the catch moves with Brown ... this kid has it all as a receiver. Silky smooth, wins contested catches, size and can make defenders look silly.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the after the catch moves with Brown ... this kid has it all as a receiver. Silky smooth, wins contested catches, size and can make defenders look silly.

Has he visited yet for a workout? I may have missed it.