• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Trade Deadline

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Conforto to Mets ship may have sailed . . .

Can’t blame the Mutts. Conforto is useless.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking "yeah, but this is Winker we are talking about here." Apparently, he's been doing pretty good for himself this year. OPS is about 100 points higher than Conforto's.
Winker may be a younger version of Conforto. A “name” that just doesn’t bring the umph any longer…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will accept Sam Basallo if we cannot get Melton.

Samuel
Basallo
C/1B, Bowie Baysox, AA
Orioles
Top 30

BioStatsNewsVideo
  • BATS
    L
  • DOB
    08/13/2004
  • THROWS
    R
  • HT
    6' 4"
  • SIGNED
    Jan. 15, 2021 - BAL
  • WT
  • ETA
Video scouting report »
Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55
One of Mike Elias’ key points of emphasis when he took over as general manager of the Orioles was to re-engage on the international market. Basallo was one of their first primary targets, getting what was then an organizational-record $1.3 million bonus to sign in January 2021. After showing glimpses of his offensive potential in the Dominican Summer League in '21, and then in the Florida Complex League the following year, Basallo burst on the scene by posting a .953 OPS while reaching Double-A as a teenager.
It's becoming clear it might be a mistake to put a cap on Basallo’s offensive ceiling. The left-handed hitter combines the ability to hit the ball very hard with elite-level exit velocities and an advanced approach at the plate, making him a very dangerous hitter. Basallo has very strong hands and has simplified his setup, giving him the ability to drive the ball to all fields and make a ton of contact. He also draws a lot of walks, helping him to get in better counts to tap into his considerable raw power consistently, with the 20 homers he hit in 2023 just the tip of the iceberg.
If there are any questions at all about Basallo, they are about his ability to stick behind the plate. He’s made strides there, too, and his plus arm helped him throw out 33.1 percent of potential basestealers a year ago. There’s still work to be done on his overall receiving, but his bat will profile just fine at first base, where he’s been getting comfortable defensively to provide some positional flexibility, especially with Adley Rutschman behind the dish in Baltimore.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who in their right mind has any idea who that is? Link?
Jacob
Melton
OF, Sugar Land Space Cowboys, AAA
Astros
Top 30

BioStatsNewsVideo
  • BATS
    L
  • DOB
    09/07/2000
  • THROWS
    L
  • HT
    6' 2"
  • DRAFTED
    2022, 2nd (64) - HOU
  • WT
  • ETA
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 65 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55
After spending his first college season at Linn-Benton (Ore.) CC and having his first two years at Oregon State truncated by the pandemic and an injury to his non-throwing shoulder, Melton won Pacific-12 Conference player of the year honors and set Beavers records with 83 RBIs and 175 total bases in 2022. He surprisingly dropped to the end of the second round, where Houston snapped him up with a $1 million bonus, and he batted .245/.335/.467 with 23 homers and 46 steals in 99 games in his first full pro season in 2023. When the Astros were negotiating the Justin Verlander trade with the Mets last summer, they preferred to give up Top 100 prospects Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford so they could hold onto Melton.
Melton still doesn't have a classic left-handed swing, but Houston has helped him streamline it and tone down a big leg kick that he had in college. His strength and bat speed create plus raw power that plays to all fields, and his mechanical changes have enabled him to drive the ball in the air more consistently. He struggled against southpaws and did most of his damage at the friendly confines of High-A Asheville in 2023, but he also produced outstanding underlying metrics in terms of swing decisions, consistency of hard contact and exit velocity.
Melton has well-above-average speed and uses it well, stealing 46 bases in 53 attempts last year. His quickness gives him solid range in center field and he has a better chance to remain up the middle with 2022 first-rounder Gilbert departing in the Verlander deal. He also fits the right-field profile with his offensive upside and solid arm strength.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will accept Sam Basallo if we cannot get Melton.

Samuel
Basallo
C/1B, Bowie Baysox, AA
Orioles
Top 30

BioStatsNewsVideo
  • BATS
    L
  • DOB
    08/13/2004
  • THROWS
    R
  • HT
    6' 4"
  • SIGNED
    Jan. 15, 2021 - BAL
  • WT
  • ETA
Video scouting report »
Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55
One of Mike Elias’ key points of emphasis when he took over as general manager of the Orioles was to re-engage on the international market. Basallo was one of their first primary targets, getting what was then an organizational-record $1.3 million bonus to sign in January 2021. After showing glimpses of his offensive potential in the Dominican Summer League in '21, and then in the Florida Complex League the following year, Basallo burst on the scene by posting a .953 OPS while reaching Double-A as a teenager.
It's becoming clear it might be a mistake to put a cap on Basallo’s offensive ceiling. The left-handed hitter combines the ability to hit the ball very hard with elite-level exit velocities and an advanced approach at the plate, making him a very dangerous hitter. Basallo has very strong hands and has simplified his setup, giving him the ability to drive the ball to all fields and make a ton of contact. He also draws a lot of walks, helping him to get in better counts to tap into his considerable raw power consistently, with the 20 homers he hit in 2023 just the tip of the iceberg.
If there are any questions at all about Basallo, they are about his ability to stick behind the plate. He’s made strides there, too, and his plus arm helped him throw out 33.1 percent of potential basestealers a year ago. There’s still work to be done on his overall receiving, but his bat will profile just fine at first base, where he’s been getting comfortable defensively to provide some positional flexibility, especially with Adley Rutschman behind the dish in Baltimore.
there are obvious positional issues with this kid (he is likely a 1B, but MAY be able to stick at catcher), but that would be a problem for tomorrow, not for today. Having a package centered around him would be acceptable, I think. It just sucks that one of our existing top prospects is already holding down 1B.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob
Melton
OF, Sugar Land Space Cowboys, AAA
Astros
Top 30

BioStatsNewsVideo
  • BATS
    L
  • DOB
    09/07/2000
  • THROWS
    L
  • HT
    6' 2"
  • DRAFTED
    2022, 2nd (64) - HOU
  • WT
  • ETA
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 65 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55
After spending his first college season at Linn-Benton (Ore.) CC and having his first two years at Oregon State truncated by the pandemic and an injury to his non-throwing shoulder, Melton won Pacific-12 Conference player of the year honors and set Beavers records with 83 RBIs and 175 total bases in 2022. He surprisingly dropped to the end of the second round, where Houston snapped him up with a $1 million bonus, and he batted .245/.335/.467 with 23 homers and 46 steals in 99 games in his first full pro season in 2023. When the Astros were negotiating the Justin Verlander trade with the Mets last summer, they preferred to give up Top 100 prospects Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford so they could hold onto Melton.
Melton still doesn't have a classic left-handed swing, but Houston has helped him streamline it and tone down a big leg kick that he had in college. His strength and bat speed create plus raw power that plays to all fields, and his mechanical changes have enabled him to drive the ball in the air more consistently. He struggled against southpaws and did most of his damage at the friendly confines of High-A Asheville in 2023, but he also produced outstanding underlying metrics in terms of swing decisions, consistency of hard contact and exit velocity.
Melton has well-above-average speed and uses it well, stealing 46 bases in 53 attempts last year. His quickness gives him solid range in center field and he has a better chance to remain up the middle with 2022 first-rounder Gilbert departing in the Verlander deal. He also fits the right-field profile with his offensive upside and solid arm strength.
I know absolutely nothing about this kid, but on the surface, I see Gary Brown….

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know what the percentages are of prospects actually working out at the trade deadline?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know what the percentages are of prospects actually working out at the trade deadline?
I have been asking this question here for a while. It is basically impossible to answer without a serious study, but anecdotally, I am leaning towards prospect that are acquired rarely work out.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been asking this question here for a while. It is basically impossible to answer without a serious study, but anecdotally, I am leaning towards prospect that are acquired rarely work out.
I would tend to agree. So that brings up my next few highly thought out questions. Is it worth trading Snell? It seems like he is the real deal now, should we keep him instead, hoping he continues to pitch well the rest of the season and maybe have a leg up on resigning him after he opts out? Or maybe he won’t opt out because FZ offers him the world.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tend to agree. So that brings up my next few highly thought out questions. Is it worth trading Snell? It seems like he is the real deal now, should we keep him instead, hoping he continues to pitch well the rest of the season and maybe have a leg up on resigning him after he opts out? Or maybe he won’t opt out because FZ offers him the world.
Keeping him does nothing other than worsen our draft position. Even if all we get is a middling starting level player or a couple decent bully arms, those are adds to our future while keeping him does absolutely nothing for the org.

If he likes it here, he has our number. Keeping or trading him will not change that.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue here is that we will NOT be able to keep him. Snell is in the opt out year of his contract. I think he can just walk if he so choses. I have to believe that he and FZ have had some discussions about 2025 and FZ is aware of Snell's intentions (stay or go). If Snell has chosen to leave .... we will trade him for .... something ... rather than than have him just leave and we get nothing in return

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then we are giving up for the season? Throwing in the towel? If so then we should really go all out and trade for prospects for the future

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then we are giving up for the season? Throwing in the towel? If so then we should really go all out and trade for prospects for the future
The Mutts currently hold the 3rd WC spot. We are 3.5 games behind the Mutts.

If that were the end of the story, I would be much more OK with making a go of it.

But there are 3 teams between us and the Mutts. And we are 1.5 games behind the lowest of those 3 teams. That is WAY too crowded to shove our chips. We need 4 teams to falter just so we have a chance. If just one of those 4 teams plays well in the last 1/3 of the season, we are fuct.

SELL SELL SELL

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m thinking if we are giving up on the season in the hope of getting draft picks then we should also trade Chap. Although I prefer to keep him we would get more prospects for the future. He has an opt out too, which he would probably do anyways. He can also sign with us if he wants. Conforto is a no brainer if anyone wants him.

Hicks also I lost faith in him. Flores and Estrada seemed to have run their course, we have some fillers that are doing better than they will now. And trade Doval as well, we have time to sign or trade for someone cheaper and hopefully better. If the season is lost let’s improve for the future.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m thinking if we are giving up on the season in the hope of getting draft picks then we should also trade Chap. Although I prefer to keep him we would get more prospects for the future. He has an opt out too, which he would probably do anyways. He can also sign with us if he wants. Conforto is a no brainer if anyone wants him.

Hicks also I lost faith in him. Flores and Estrada seemed to have run their course, we have some fillers that are doing better than they will now. And trade Doval as well, we have time to sign or trade for someone cheaper and hopefully better. If the season is lost let’s improve for the future.
Chap is a clubhouse leader. You need guys like him during a youth movement.

I am fine with trading him assuming we get a nice package, but he brings value to an org, even in a losing year.