• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Season Thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Seems he's been on the move lately and stat wise doesn't seem like much of a up grade

Yah I'm a little confused on this one. I haven't heard his name much this year... And he's also in a contract year... so why the swap?

I'm okay giving up the 6th rounder for Robertson-Harris, but a 4th AND Baker? WHY!? We just gave up a 4th rounder for no reason it seems. I would've been fine with like Baker and a 7th. I get Baker has been pretty bad this year and not met expectations, but he is coming off an injury - I'd give him a bit more time. And Baker is better in coverage than run support... so maybe that was the reason? Jones is better in run support? But a 4th is an AWFUL lot for that...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I'm a little confused on this one. I haven't heard his name much this year... And he's also in a contract year... so why the swap?

I'm okay giving up the 6th rounder for Robertson-Harris, but a 4th AND Baker? WHY!? We just gave up a 4th rounder for no reason it seems.

Clearly they were not impressed with Baker's play so far. Our LB player has been arguably the weakest of any unit on the team.

Jones is 3 years younger than Baker. We have to trust that Mac knows what he is doing with linebackers, kinda like Pete with secondary players.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly they were not impressed with Baker's play so far. Our LB player has been arguably the weakest of any unit on the team.

Jones is 3 years younger than Baker. We have to trust that Mac knows what he is doing with linebackers, kinda like Pete with secondary players.

Yah I guess.. I edited my post with a bit more. I mean I get the trade and Baker has been lackluster (although he is coming off an injury and had another one) but a 4th seems like WAAAAY too much. Should've just been a neutral swap or maybe we throw in a 7th.

I guess the thought is we need ILB anyway so if we'd drafted one with our 4th whatever... but now you gotta resign Jones after this year (like Baker). I guess from everything I've read is he is a far better run defender than Baker and Baker just hasn't worked out (and seems to have the recurring injury problem). I forgot Jones was on the Rams and his name always seemed to pop up. Thought it was a diff. Jones actually lol.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also forgot we have 2 4ths (well one now) so it's not as big of a deal. I mean Jones should in theory help the run, which is the biggest problem on D right now. Would've been great to get a guard but the guard market is just BLEH.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I guess.. I edited my post with a bit more. I mean I get the trade and Baker has been lackluster (although he is coming off an injury and had another one) but a 4th seems like WAAAAY too much. Should've just been a neutral swap or maybe we throw in a 7th.

I guess the thought is we need ILB anyway so if we'd drafted one with our 4th whatever... but now you gotta resign Jones after this year (like Baker). I guess from everything I've read is he is a far better run defender than Baker and Baker just hasn't worked out (and seems to have the recurring injury problem). I forgot Jones was on the Rams and his name always seemed to pop up. Thought it was a diff. Jones actually lol.

If he can demonstrably improve our run defense then the 4th rounder is an easy choice. We are projected to get at least 1 4th in comp.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can demonstrably improve our run defense then the 4th rounder is an easy choice. We are projected to get at least 1 4th in comp.

Yah I posted above. We got one for Damien Lewis (or projected to get one).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for what ever improves the team and the defense obviously needs some changes, especially the run defense. Maybe I'm imaging but sure seems like a Pete Carroll type of defense that has trouble stopping the run and gives to big a cushion to receivers. Someone mentioned it's a bend don't break D and seems accurate. Not what I was expecting after hiring McDonald, course need to give it time to gel, how about NOW?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sounds and looks like he plays the run well and is a sure tackler, thats what we are missing desperately in our LB corps

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for what ever improves the team and the defense obviously needs some changes, especially the run defense. Maybe I'm imaging but sure seems like a Pete Carroll type of defense that has trouble stopping the run and gives to big a cushion to receivers. Someone mentioned it's a bend don't break D and seems accurate. Not what I was expecting after hiring McDonald, course need to give it time to gel, how about NOW?

I think, when healthy, the pass rush is dramatically better this year. Hopefully the run defense gets better as we get healthy and the new guys come on board.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to get to that Baltimore type style of defense, Mac needs another year or 2 drafting his type of players plus any FA's they may bring in.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to get to that Baltimore type style of defense, Mac needs another year or 2 drafting his type of players plus any FA's they may bring in.

Well this certainly has be one of his type of guys... since he specifically traded for it. Seems like Baker/Dodson were 'make it work for now' guys... and Baker couldn't. Baker had SAM/WILL experience so that worked, but his play didn't translate.

I do know Jones plays in a VERY similar (if not identical) defense to what MacDonald runs... so, there should be no issue with a scheme for him. And apparently he'll start this Sunday against the Bills. Dodson is moving to Baker's position apparently which I think is also good. Both those guys always seemed to be hitting the wrong gaps.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know anything about Jones? The Titans are a team I almost NEVER watch.

He was the Rams starting ILB for three years and has now been traded twice in 2 months. I vaguely remember him during our games, but I didn't watch the Rams much when not playing Seattle.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the interviews I've seen from McDonald in recent weeks he seems to be of the opinion that the run defense is the linebackers fault much more than the defensive line. So, if that's what's going on - bringing in a run stuffing linebacker would be a logical move.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the interviews I've seen from McDonald in recent weeks he seems to be of the opinion that the run defense is the linebackers fault much more than the defensive line. So, if that's what's going on - bringing in a run stuffing linebacker would be a logical move.

Yah this is why I didn't renew my PFF subscription this year. They have Baker and Dodson rated like above average good linebackers and I'm just not seeing it. Both seem to take super bad angles and not really provide any big 'impact'. I dunno, apparently Dodson is shifting to Baker's spot and Jones is starting this week (no reason he shouldn't) so we'll get to see firsthand how well he does against the Bills.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this certainly has be one of his type of guys... since he specifically traded for it. Seems like Baker/Dodson were 'make it work for now' guys... and Baker couldn't. Baker had SAM/WILL experience so that worked, but his play didn't translate.

I do know Jones plays in a VERY similar (if not identical) defense to what MacDonald runs... so, there should be no issue with a scheme for him. And apparently he'll start this Sunday against the Bills. Dodson is moving to Baker's position apparently which I think is also good. Both those guys always seemed to be hitting the wrong gaps.
I like the move since it fills a need and it's a start. Our defense if it can get healthy will be descent but we're still a draft or two drafts away from the complete look of the defense Mac wants to run. Just takes time to rebuild.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah this is why I didn't renew my PFF subscription this year. They have Baker and Dodson rated like above average good linebackers and I'm just not seeing it. Both seem to take super bad angles and not really provide any big 'impact'. I dunno, apparently Dodson is shifting to Baker's spot and Jones is starting this week (no reason he shouldn't) so we'll get to see firsthand how well he does against the Bills.

Tatupu said on Brock & Salk that the linebackers weren't keeping the offensive lines honest. They weren't being aggressive enough in their lane assignments and allowing the lines to double the d line and creating big holes and then getting swallowed by the line. They were too passive in letting the play come to them - which meant that it rarely ended up a great play unless the d line made the play themselves.

Lofa did suggest that the first time a team doubled in the game, he would just hit the crap out of the doubling lineman and put him on his ass. It made them less aggressive when double teaming the line, since they never knew when the linebacker would hit them from the side. According to Lofa, this is the type of physical play Mc wants from the linebackers and we just haven't been getting it.

As an uneducated person as it pertains to line play - I was shocked when Mc said the line was playing well and that the linebackers were not holding their end of the bargain. He expects high play from his linebackers (wish we could've seen what Bobby woulda done with this defense in his prime).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. The DL line seems noticeably more effective this year. Mac bulking up the line didn't hurt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an uneducated person as it pertains to line play - I was shocked when Mc said the line was playing well and that the linebackers were not holding their end of the bargain. He expects high play from his linebackers (wish we could've seen what Bobby woulda done with this defense in his prime).

I love Bobby but he's definitely on the back 9.