• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Season Thread

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think Mike might be playing the long game and the war of attrition. With 17 games now, players are getting more banged up than ever and instead of rushing them back I'm wondering if Mike is saying, "Nah, take an extra week. Let's make sure you're 100%."

He could PROBABLY march Mafe, Nwosu, and Williams out there tomorrow evening, but at what cost? Then you have a short week against the Giants, and an even shorter week to follow with the 9ers... so you bring Mafe/Williams/Nwosu out there let's say, at 75%... they either stay at 75% or get more banged up (or a bigger injury)... well wtf good did that do? Not to mention even if the entire front 7 was healthy, the Lions would still be insanely tough since a) they have a beast OL - yes Ragnow is out but still, b) the rest of their team is pretty much good to go.

Not saying Mike is throwing in the towel tomorrow, but you gotta think a little longer term. When asked if he was concerned about all the injuries on D, he basically said, "No... it gives guys an opportunity and let's them step up." He didn't seem that bothered by it. We'll get a real good look tomorrow night at what his system is all about and it will be interesting to see how the backups picked it up.
Definitely could be a strategy of taking a bit more risk in tomorrow's battle in order to stand a better chance in the remaining war.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely could be a strategy of taking a bit more risk in tomorrow's battle in order to stand a better chance in the remaining war.

Yah, I mean Detroit was going to be tough anyway (even though we always seem to do well against them)... I mean if guys were 100% play em', duh. But if they're not, might as well sit. And MacDonald in the presser did mention you got two short weeks in a row coming up (both conference games and one division game).. so if some of those guys are banged up now is really not the time to bang them up more lol.

And Mike didn't really seem concerned with backups going out there. He came off with a level of confidence that it's "Next man up" and that he can work with that. Not going back to harp on him, but if it was Pete's defense where it's the same thing EVERY time (cover 3) and you require insane level of play at all levels, then I get it... it's a bigger deal because your stars are not on the field. Just different philosophies.

I mean Baltimore's D really wasn't filled with superstars when Mike was there. He turned some of them into big name players... but he worked with what he had.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's last few games against the Lions have not been bad and the offense has put up points. 100% need them to do that again but can we win for what, the 4th time in a row in Detroit?

Geno has put up 320+ and 2TD's in each of the games against them. Say what you want about Pete and his staff, they sure did know how to attack that Detroit team the last few years that was for sure.

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OOF, sounds like Mafe, Williams, Nwosu, Murphy are all out... Jeebus. We need a big step up from Jones and basically whoever the else can throw in there. This is pretty bad. Baker is also prob. out.

I mean if we win this game, WOW... but I'm 100% expecting a loss.
Gonna have to play a near perfect game and hope no one gets badly banged up.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he is... he's just a very big, strong, and fast, human....
well you forgot the most important part he doesn't AGE like a normal Power back. 30 years old and is still as fast and effective as he ever was.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mike didn't really seem concerned with backups going out there. He came off with a level of confidence that it's "Next man up" and that he can work with that.

Yeah, "next man up" is the mindset you have to have when facing those injury challenges, but the reality is that doesn't mitigate the loss of very talented players. If it did, there wouldn't be a reason to pay for talent.

Sucks to be without so many guys at one position group. Give it the best you got, and live to fight another day.