• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point.

He might suck.

But because he also might be very good, it is better to take a chance on him than it is to hire somebody you know to be average.

I will take the chance on upside in this situation.

Imo It’s hard to evaluate a guy who was stuck in that Charlotte dumpster fire

Just a terrible terrible franchise with no vision or direction

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the younger roster, sure. That amounted to exactly one more regular season win this season. That "gap" could be attributed to Ham's hands in his pockets.
Or Mitchell, Mobley, Garland, as well as Wade and Strus, missing a number of games?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never once predicted it would work.

I said it could work.

And DJ is wrong for acting like it is some horrible choice.
More likely not to work.

If the Lakers had a younger roster and Bron in his prime, I would agree. But, despite him having a great season Bron is closer to the end of the road than the beginning,

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yet, Borrego still led them to 43 wins in his final season.

What do you think he could do with a far better roster with the Lakers?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t waste your time arguing with that clown. We don’t even know what JJ coaching staff will look like. I’m sure he will have some experience guys on there
That's true....but his comments about JJ might not be right either. Not sure how JJ is a HR hire compared to Borrego or other retreads.

Isn't to say I'd hate the move as a Laker fan as it certainly could work out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

But I also think experience as an assistant coach is pretty darn overrated.

Most guys who work their way up after years in the second and third chair don’t have what it takes to be a value adding head coach in the NBA.

Takes a certain charisma and swagger to and an NBA locker room.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr inherited a young team.....and a backcourt that turned out to be the best shooting backcourt of all time and changed the way the game is now played.

Redick isn't inheriting a young team at all. Bron has a few seasons left. The Lakers need somebody with experience because they don't have time to withstand the growing pains an inexperienced coach will have. Not in the stacked WC.

But, you know this. Or should.
I mean, I can agree with some of what you have said about the hire MAYBE not being the best choice......but it's certainly reasonable to think JJ could work out and is as good or better option than a retread.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since I'm capable of seeing both sides in a discussion I can agree that's a good point about Nash being away from the game (if that's true as I didn't follow what he was doing post player career). But wasn't it true Kyrie and/or Durant pushed for Nash?

Also agree JJ could have experienced assistants. If you are saying he needs to be hired as a bigger name? OK. But that doesn't mean it works.

I'm not sure who JJ will be able to pull for his staff. Most of the rumored options are lead assistants or due raises/promotions this year. Cassell is likely lead assistant now with Boston. Borrego could be getting the Cavs (or Pistons?) job. Atkinson is lead with the Warriors. Dudley could get a promotion with the Mavs if Kidd wants to keep him. Nori is lead with the Wolves. I'm sure Denver will try to keep Adleman away from LA. Heat will want to keep Quinn.

That leaves guys like Stotts, Scott Brooks, maybe Rondo? Miles Simon is a rumored option to return. Phil Handy?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You acting like I am wrong here is hilarious.

First of all, most likely case, no matter who the coach is the Lakers a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

There isn’t a experienced guy out there who is going to instantly command LeBron’s respect and come in and turn things around instantly.

That guy isn’t out there.

So take a chance on Reddick who could end up being really good.

You are acting like this is a disaster move and it can’t work.

LeBron James respects JJ Reddick.

That by itself gives him a chance to succeed.
OK...but take a chance on JJ because of how a guy who may not be there more than a couple years might treat him? Lebron not exactly known for his acumen on judging players so why let him essentially pick the coach?

If they like JJ separate from what Lebron thinks (or maybe AD likes him a lot()? different story.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs is the better job than the Pistons is what I meant since you said the Cavs may have competition since the Pistons need a HC.

Get some coffee.....

Never had a drop.

Pistons are a mess for sure, but that also brings with it lower expectations and makes it easier to impress.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but take a chance on JJ because of how a guy who may not be there more than a couple years might treat him? Lebron not exactly known for his acumen on judging players so why let him essentially pick the coach?

If they like JJ separate from what Lebron thinks (or maybe AD likes him a lot()? different story.

The hope is that they are continuing their expressed desire to build beyond the Lebron timeline, which I'm sure JJ presented a plan for in his interview (which he reportedly impressed in).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prepping for my roto rooter in a few hours. Thursday at 8:30am a camera goes up the posterior.

This adult'ing sucks.
Wednesday will suck but Thursday just a good nap.

Good luck.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That or a sign and trade, I guess (didn't read article though if it says otherwise)?

Suns can't sign and trade being over the second apron. The soonest they could trade for Lebron would be in December after Lebron signed for exactly the same contract as one single player on the Suns. Suns can't aggregate players in a trade, can't take back more salary in a trade, etc. Lakers won't want to take back more salary in a trade either, as that would hard cap them.

Simply put, the rumors are absolute crap and fantasy.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point.

He might suck.

But because he also might be very good, it is better to take a chance on him than it is to hire somebody you know to be average.

I will take the chance on upside in this situation.
But you are just assuming someone was average based on what he did in an entirely different situation. This can work the other way, too. Many thought Nurse, Bud and Doc (OK, not as many with Doc but some?) were good coaches and one was already fired while the other went no further than Brown as has underachieved quite a bit in his career.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never once predicted it would work.

I said it could work.

And DJ is wrong for acting like it is some horrible choice.
agree DJ wrong for thinking a horrible choice. JJ could work.