• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure who JJ will be able to pull for his staff. Most of the rumored options are lead assistants or due raises/promotions this year. Cassell is likely lead assistant now with Boston. Borrego could be getting the Cavs (or Pistons?) job. Atkinson is lead with the Warriors. Dudley could get a promotion with the Mavs if Kidd wants to keep him. Nori is lead with the Wolves. I'm sure Denver will try to keep Adleman away from LA. Heat will want to keep Quinn.

That leaves guys like Stotts, Scott Brooks, maybe Rondo? Miles Simon is a rumored option to return. Phil Handy?
This.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had a drop.

Pistons are a mess for sure, but that also brings with it lower expectations and makes it easier to impress.
How did that work out for Monty? lol

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was intentionally sabatoging
I am just saying, the point a job might be more attractive bc expectations are lower is pure garbage imo. A coach will have many reasons to take a job but more likely to stay their long-term bc the team has lower expectations is not one of them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are just assuming someone was average based on what he did in an entirely different situation. This can work the other way, too. Many thought Nurse, Bud and Doc (OK, not as many with Doc but some?) were good coaches and one was already fired while the other went no further than Brown as has underachieved quite a bit in his career.

Almost all coaches are close enough to average that it doesn’t matter a whole lot.

You have said multiple times that the players matter more than the coach. And that is for sure true.

Unless you have an elite bench guy who can really make a difference?

It doesn’t matter all that much. Sometimes you need to change the voice and get a fresh start as with Ham.

So it is a pretty fair assumption.

My thing with Reddick is that he has some cache with his podcast and analyst work. I think there is a fairly decent chance he could end up being one of those very few difference maker type coaches.

This is not a LeBron hire. It is a swing for the fences hire. Ty Lue would be an example of a LeBron hire.

The fact that he has a bond with LeBron already is an added bonus.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton Jr is picking up his player option.

Reactions: DJ

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all coaches are close enough to average that it doesn’t matter a whole lot.

You have said multiple times that the players matter more than the coach. And that is for sure true.

Unless you have an elite bench guy who can really make a difference?

It doesn’t matter all that much. Sometimes you need to change the voice and get a fresh start as with Ham.

So it is a pretty fair assumption.

My thing with Reddick is that he has some cache with his podcast and analyst work. I think there is a fairly decent chance he could end up being one of those very few difference maker type coaches.

This is not a LeBron hire. It is a swing for the fences hire. Ty Lue would be an example of a LeBron hire.

The fact that he has a bond with LeBron already is an added bonus.
I think it might be a Lebron hire....but also don't think that means it wont work or could even be a HR.

and, yes, I do think NBA is nearly all about the players and not sure who is that elite bench guy who will take his team all that far without a great group of players. For sure seems you need an MVP type (or at least close) to win a title.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it might be a Lebron hire....but also don't think that means it wont work or could even be a HR.

and, yes, I do think NBA is nearly all about the players and not sure who is that elite bench guy who will take his team all that far without a great group of players. For sure seems you need an MVP type (or at least close) to win a title.
Nobody is taking a team anywhere without elite players.

But an elite bench guy along with elite players can lead to a dynasty.

Elite bench guy with good players and you get the Miami Heat.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just saying, the point a job might be more attractive bc expectations are lower is pure garbage imo. A coach will have many reasons to take a job but more likely to stay their long-term bc the team has lower expectations is not one of them.

Agree

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when you bribe a guy to take your job with a massive overpay when he's dealing with personal tragedy, the situation is a bit south of normal.

Smart move by him

Now he has a few years to go do something else if he Wants

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton Jr is picking up his player option.

Golden state is gonna need to make some really hard decisions

Especially if Lacob is serious about ducking the tax this year

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is taking a team anywhere without elite players.

But an elite bench guy along with elite players can lead to a dynasty.

Elite bench guy with good players and you get the Miami Heat.
I can agree on your Heat/spo assessment and he's among the top 3-4 coaches I've seen IMO.

But who is the elite bench guy you have seen do much better than, say, Borrego did when he won 43 with a team like that Charlotte team?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree on your Heat/spo assessment and he's among the top 3-4 coaches I've seen IMO.

But who is the elite bench guy you have seen do much better than, say, Borrego did when he won 43 with a team like that Charlotte team?

take Borrego in Cleveland.

You are stuck on this idea that winning regular season games with less talent is some kind of badge of honor.

Winning 40 games with a mediocre roster has absolutely no bearing on being able to get over the top with a good one.

It isn’t the same thing.

Winning in the regular season is a lot easier than winning in the playoffs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take Borrego in Cleveland.

You are stuck on this idea that winning regular season games with less talent is some kind of badge of honor.

Winning 40 games with a mediocre roster has absolutely no bearing on being able to get over the top with a good one.

It isn’t the same thing.

Winning in the regular season is a lot easier than winning in the playoffs.
what are you even talking about? I've never even said Borrego is my choice to get the job here. Of all the guys mentioned, not sure any would be exciting hires nor who I prefer. all could work out and all could fail. wont know until they start.

But as usual, you are afraid to give an actual answer to my question....because irrational people are usually spooked by questions. are you saying you've never seen an elite coach with a roster like Borrego had in Charlotte? You can pick another middling team and their coach if you want.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big believer in karma and Monty got some of his in reverse. I hope he chokes on his millions. (Wish his wife good recovery)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are you even talking about? I've never even said Borrego is my choice to get the job here. Of all the guys mentioned, not sure any would be exciting hires nor who I prefer. all could work out and all could fail. wont know until they start.

But as usual, you are afraid to give an actual answer to my question....because irrational people are usually spooked by questions. are you saying you've never seen an elite coach with a roster like Borrego had in Charlotte? You can pick another middling team and their coach if you want.

I did answer your question.

It isn’t relevant.

I judge elite coaches on the playoffs.

End of story.