• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved JJ. My daughter is a basketball fan because of JJ. There are 4 JJ jerseys in my house. You had zero fucks to give about JJ. He takes a job and now you’ll lick his balls and let him bukkake on your face because he’s the Lakers head coach.

But I’m the guy with the agenda. Meanwhile, I say the same thing about Nick Sirianni when he toots an F bomb at a press conference. It’s just unprofessional. You’re not a player. You’re not Joe Schmo off the street.

Don't project your bukkake fetish on me, lol.

He seems to potentially be good coaching material. That's all that matters to me. I was not a fan of him as a player, true. Dukie and Clipper is a bad combo, and he is a bit of an arrogant prick. Anything better than Ham is a step foward.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I think you're reading too much into it. Or, you're feeding your agenda?
It can go either way. What he is doing is not all that different than what Dan Campbell did, and it has split opinion the same way. If he follows it up with solid coaching then it ultimately won't matter. If he struggles then the first press conference will be used as proof he was not ready.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't project your bukkake fetish on me, lol.

He seems to potentially be good coaching material. That's all that matters to me. I was not a fan of him as a player, true. Dukie and Clipper is a bad combo, and he is a bit of an arrogant prick. Anything better than Ham is a step foward.
Cool. I understand that you don’t want to own the fact that you’re gay for all things Lakers. You can respect JJ and want him to be successful and still say “nah, don’t do that. It’s unprofessional to drop F bombs at a presser like you’re on your podcast.” The inability to criticize is what outs you as the closeted homosexual for the purple and gold.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can go either way. What he is doing is not all that different than what Dan Campbell did, and it has split opinion the same way. If he follows it up with solid coaching then it ultimately won't matter. If he struggles then the first press conference will be used as proof he was not ready.
Does Campbell regularly toot F notes at his pressers? I wouldn’t say Sirriani does it “regularly” but the 3-4 times he’s done it it’s been out of bounds.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Campbell regularly toot F notes at his pressers? I wouldn’t say Sirriani does it “regularly” but the 3-4 times he’s done it it’s been out of bounds.
I did not say the exact same, I said similar. In that he was saying things to make the press. The path was different, but the end result was not.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say the exact same, I said similar. In that he was saying things to make the press. The path was different, but the end result was not.
I really have no problem with this style at all. It’s unique and it seems to play well with players. I was just saying the use of the F word was out of bounds and unprofessional. That’s why I asked you the question I did.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have no problem with this style at all. It’s unique and it seems to play well with players. I was just saying the use of the F word was out of bounds and unprofessional. That’s why I asked you the question I did.
I suppose that is where our real disagreement comes from. I have no feelings for the word. I teach my kids that they can say what they want in the house, but once they leave the walls they are responsible for their choice and have to be ready for consequences. I think it is important to remove magic power from words.

There are obvious exceptions for slurs or words that come from true hate.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose that is where our real disagreement comes from. I have no feelings for the word. I teach my kids that they can say what they want in the house, but once they leave the walls they are responsible for their choice and have to be ready for consequences. I think it is important to remove magic power from words.

Yours is a reasonable opinion... that said, I kinda agree with @fightinfunbags... (this is a minor issue overall, though).

To my mind... it comes down to professionalism. When a coach is interacting with media, they should put on a more professional hat (IMO). A coach isn't a player, a coach isn't a buddy, and a coach is part of the leadership/face of the organization. It's a different standard of behavior.

It's a somewhat muddled issue, of course... because most coaches swear like sailors on the playing surface.

I might agree more with ffb on this one because we're both teachers... in our profession, you gotta know your setting and act accordingly and properly.

Last edited:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yours is a reasonable opinion... that said, I kinda agree with @fightinfunbags... (this is a minor issue overall, though).

To my mind... it comes down to professionalism. When a coach is interacting with media, they should put on a more professional hat (IMO). A coach isn't a player, a coach isn't a buddy, and a coach is part of the leadership/face of the organization. It's a different standard of behavior.

It's a somewhat muddled of course... because most coaches swear like sailors on the playing surface.

I might agree more with ffb on this one because we're both teachers... in our profession, you gotta know your setting and act accordingly and properly.
When it comes to breaking professionalism is it only the swear words that are out of bounds? Or is it anything that is not professional? It seems to be that a guy could pee on the stand and he is just asserting his dominance! If he swears while peeing on the stand, he needs to grow up.

I agree with you in a classroom setting, if the language is going to derail the teacher's ability to control the classroom then it needs to be corrected, which is why the second part of what I tell my kid is important. I don't see a guy in a press conference in that same boat. I guess the same boat would be if the reporters began swearing at JJ Reddick, that feels the same as a kid doing it in the classroom.

Anyway you slice it, I am comfortable with JJ's approach, but he does put a lot more pressure on himself to succeed with it. I get those that don't, I won't begrudge that. I can't take my stance and then demand others follow it, that would be kind of hypocritical.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sounds like we are more closely aligned than apart. You’re teaching your kids time and place. I’m saying in this application JJ should have considered time and place.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, I agree that he could have expressed the same sentiment without cussing. There were likely kids watching.

Having said that, I don't have an issue with it as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Whatever he turns out to be as a coach, I'm glad to see the Lakers hire a coach with some fire and personality.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like we are more closely aligned than apart. You’re teaching your kids time and place. I’m saying in this application JJ should have considered time and place.
Extremely fair take, I suppose I am just more liberal with where the words are appropriate. I view it as no different than biting kneecaps like statement, but can see how others may not agree.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to breaking professionalism is it only the swear words that are out of bounds? Or is it anything that is not professional? It seems to be that a guy could pee on the stand and he is just asserting his dominance! If he swears while peeing on the stand, he needs to grow up.
Come on! We can do better than this if we’re going to make shit up and assign it to my point of view. Let’s have JJ engage in a Roman orgy during the press conference. Let’s get like a dozen people up there. And the line is crossed when someone makes a joke about Helen Keller at an orgy. JJ says just like Helen Keller at an orgy, the league doesn’t know who they’re fucking with.

If we’re going to assign absurd shit to my perspective let’s at least entertain people.
I agree with you in a classroom setting, if the language is going to derail the teacher's ability to control the classroom then it needs to be corrected, which is why the second part of what I tell my kid is important. I don't see a guy in a press conference in that same boat. I guess the same boat would be if the reporters began swearing at JJ Reddick, that feels the same as a kid doing it in the classroom.
It’s out of bounds. Coaches should conduct themselves with more class.
Anyway you slice it, I am comfortable with JJ's approach, but he does put a lot more pressure on himself to succeed with it. I get those that don't, I won't begrudge that. I can't take my stance and then demand others follow it, that would be kind of hypocritical.
The approach is fine. The F word screams Virginia trailer trash. The guy’s people sent him to Duke but he still can’t over come his roots.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on! We can do better than this if we’re going to make shit up and assign it to my point of view. Let’s have JJ engage in a Roman orgy during the press conference. Let’s get like a dozen people up there. And the line is crossed when someone makes a joke about Helen Keller at an orgy. JJ says just like Helen Keller at an orgy, the league doesn’t know who they’re fucking with.
You are quoting a comment that is a reply to gman, not you, and I used a ridiculous example to highlight that the lines being drawn are usually arbitrary to the individual, and not attribute any of it to your stance. Took a lot of mental gymnastics to believe this was in anyway me claiming it was your point of view.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The approach is fine. The F word screams Virginia trailer trash. The guy’s people sent him to Duke but he still can’t over come his roots.
This argument always makes me laugh. Just like anything over-using it to the point where it is clearly a crutch sure does, but in general it is a word that does a fantastic job of punctuating a point. Nothing more and nothing less.