• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh absolutely he could, he could do it tomorrow

The Lillard move.

Not saying Mitchell going to pull it.

But I do think we are going to see a lot of guys pulling this stunt in the future to try and get their money and still control their future somewhat.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

Is this a real question?

It isn’t just about free agency. Most often it manifests in some type of forced trade.

And there is a long list.

Sure

Just get him to sign the super max and survive the first 2 years and that covers the picks

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it was a risk. I wasn’t one who said he was for sure gone.

Even still, you don’t know yet.

Because the new play is the Lillard.

Sign your extension for all the money and demand your trade a year later.

You can say that the people who claimed Mitchell would never sign the extension are wrong. That is definitive.

But you can’t say that he plans to be in Cleveland long term unless he is still on the roster in a year and a half.

So it isn’t time for Cleveland fans to take their victory lap just yet.
As I said was not sure you were in the group who guaranteed he'd leave and not extend and, yes, you are right that those in that group were wrong. Will they own they were wrong? Guess we will see, but one wont be here for more than a month.

as to the victory lap? I mean, the guy so far has done what was hoped by the team and the fans. Didn't Lillard's play kind of come with the team at least somewhat rebuilding and no where close to contending? Sure, if the Cavs are in that situation Mitchell - like any player in that situation - might ask for/demand a trade.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lillard move.

Not saying Mitchell going to pull it.

But I do think we are going to see a lot of guys pulling this stunt in the future to try and get their money and still control their future somewhat.
And it won’t happen but I think that practice should be curtailed somehow.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but don't laugh yet because now he might ask to be moved because we are rebuilding down the road.....apparently.

Lillard wanted to leave because of a rebuild.

Mitchell might want to leave for other reasons.

Just because the Cavs and Blazers aren’t in the same situation doesn’t mean that Mitchell isn’t considering following Lillard’s playbook.

The next year is really important for Cleveland and the ultimate growth of this core. They need to prove they can take the next step.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t come without risk.

Once a player is under contract, the team can always say no to the trade request.
Super max contracts were supposed to be a way for small markets to keep their players. The issue is, like with any union, there aren’t enough true superstars so less than great players benefit. I think teams should think more before they give these deals and I think requiring a super max guy to fulfill a certain percentage of his contract without the possibility of trade would make all concerned think a little more. Right now it’s the Wild West.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.

I do think KAT and Gobert create problems for Minnesota long term that will be difficult to solve.

Not to mention all that draft capital they gave up to acquire Gobert, and on the Dillingham trade.

They have no firsts to deal.

That is a pretty significant obstacle at this stage of a build.

I am almost always betting against any small market franchise building a legit, sustainable championship contender because it is exceptionally hard to do.

So of course I am going to bet against Minnesota also.

Maybe they prove me wrong?

But 2030 is a long way off.
I guess...but even if you are right it's so far away that should they really be worried so much now about it?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because the Cavs and Blazers aren’t in the same situation doesn’t mean that Mitchell isn’t considering following Lillard’s playbook.

The next year is really important for Cleveland and the ultimate growth of this core. They need to prove they can take the next step.
sure....now that he has agreed to extend I guess need to throw something else out there to worry about. I'm gonna wait on the worry a bit, though.

Was not able to listen but seems there is a video of Mitchell pretty much trying to tell those who had him leaving whenever he could that he tried to make it clear he was happy here.

Might that change? Sure....but that is true of any star or superstar.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess...but even if you are right it's so far away that should they really be worried so much now about it?

They shouldn’t be.

They need to do everything they can to make the team as competitive as they can so that Ant will want to stay.

Dillingham could be part of that.

But it will be difficult for sure.

Reactions: DJ

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

Is this a real question?

It isn’t just about free agency. Most often it manifests in some type of forced trade.

And there is a long list.
Cool...but as you say what happens if a team just says no? How long are you thinking this list is?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you got Spida demanding a trade right after signing that 3 year deal?

Okay which team will he end up with?

And exactly when will he pull a Dame and demand a trade?

Also when did the Cavs go into rebuild mode, can you post an article about it? I haven't heard anything that they're in rebuild mode.