• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Timmy was on, him working the batters was a thing of beauty
His velocity was the key. When he was 95+ on his fastball, he was unhittable, hence 2 CYs.

Here, he's at 92ish, and it's still fast enough that hitters couldn't sit on the breaking pitch, and just react to the fastball - still too fast.

When he fell to 88 and less on his fastball, he started to become batting practice.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a unique delivery. watching it again just hammers home how much a freak he really was.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Day Roster, my prediction:

SP: Webb/Cobb/Manaea/Striplling/Wood/Disco
RP: Doval/Rogers1/Rogers2/Brebbia/Alexander/Junis/Waites
C: Bart/Perez
IF: LWJ/Tyro/Craw/JD/Flowers/Diaz
OF: Yaz/Slate/Conforto/Haniger/Pedo

Waites is a reach, could be Long, Szapucki, RandRod, etc...at least until Jackson is ready.

Diaz is a reach, but he's LHH and should have been up last year. Could be Wisely, or VR

But, injuries will determine a lot of this I think.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Waites is a reach, could be Long, Szapucki, RandRod, etc...at least until Jackson is ready.

Diaz is a reach, but he's LHH and should have been up last year. Could be Wisely, or VR

What changed your mind on Villar making the team?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, assuming no injuries (not a real possibility, but…), you expect them to trade/DFA Szapucki? And you are saying they will return Sabol?

there will be roster casualties. We dont have a lot of flexibilities in regards to options.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, assuming no injuries (not a real possibility, but…), you expect them to trade/DFA Szapucki? And you are saying they will return Sabol?

there will be roster casualties. We dont have a lot of flexibilities in regards to options.
I'm fine with Szapucki over Waites on OP. Szapucki looked good in limited action, Waites has options and only got a limited look in AAA last year.

Sabol, to me, just seems like a gamble that this roster cannot afford to take. He looked good in the minors last year but is hardly a catcher. He is one of those guys who dons the tools of ignorance in limited playing time (not unlike what Yermin Mercedes became or what Ford Proctor has done) but I really doubt he's ready to be a major league catcher yet. Hopefully, the Giants can work something out with the Pirates to keep him in our minor leagues.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If everyone stayed healthy, yes. We'd return Sabol and trade Szapucki

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handedness. we need another LHH infielder, and he's got an option.
Villar/Wade seem to be a good platoon match for 1st base. Its a small sample size, admittedly, but Villar hit .292/.378/.600 in 74 PAs against lefties with the Giants in 2022. Wade, primarily because 2022 sucked for him, I looked at his career splits and he hit .249/.339/.461 against righties in 656 career PAs. Both hit worse against the other handed pitchers.

JD Davis, on the other hand, has fairly even splits between lefties and righties. I'd be good seeing him everyday at 3rd base.

I think Wilmer Flores is highly overrated. His splits between lefties and righties were close to even in 2022. They just weren't as good as any of the other guys already listed. If he isn't playable at 2nd base, he doesn't look like a good fit for this roster. Thairo Estrada had a noticeable advantage on left handed pitching in 2022 (.283/.347/.487 in 171 PAs) but not so much against righties (.250/.311/.363 in 370 PAs). Flores hit slightly better than he did against righties (.233/.311/.400 in 395 PAs). So, since Flores isn't going anywhere, I would suggest some kind of non-strict platoon between Flores and Estrada at 2nd base. What I mean by that is have Flores spell Estrada once or twice a week at 2nd base and he could give Davis a rest once a week and maybe spell Pederson at DH a couple times a month.

Diaz' big league numbers are horrid up to now. I do think he should get a shot but I'm not so ready to put him on the roster at the expense of Villar. Another question is, who spells Crawford at shortstop? Estrada played 37 games there last year. Maybe he needs to be the backup. Diaz played 11 games at shortstop with Sacramento last year but that was first time he saw action there since 2017. I don't think that earns him a place on the roster so they can say that they have a backup for Crawford. That would be like saying Villar is on the roster so he can back up Estrada at 2nd base.

Bottom line, I think the Giants should run with an infield of Crawford, Davis, Estrada, Flores, Villar and Wade, with the assumption that the Giants won't just let Wade go. If his spring looks awful, and someone else pushes for a roster spot (Diaz, Villar, and/or Sabol) then that may just happen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villar/Wade seem to be a good platoon match for 1st base. Its a small sample size, admittedly, but Villar hit .292/.378/.600 in 74 PAs against lefties with the Giants in 2022. Wade, primarily because 2022 sucked for him, I looked at his career splits and he hit .249/.339/.461 against righties in 656 career PAs. Both hit worse against the other handed pitchers.

JD Davis, on the other hand, has fairly even splits between lefties and righties. I'd be good seeing him everyday at 3rd base.

I think Wilmer Flores is highly overrated. His splits between lefties and righties were close to even in 2022. They just weren't as good as any of the other guys already listed. If he isn't playable at 2nd base, he doesn't look like a good fit for this roster. Thairo Estrada had a noticeable advantage on left handed pitching in 2022 (.283/.347/.487 in 171 PAs) but not so much against righties (.250/.311/.363 in 370 PAs). Flores hit slightly better than he did against righties (.233/.311/.400 in 395 PAs). So, since Flores isn't going anywhere, I would suggest some kind of non-strict platoon between Flores and Estrada at 2nd base. What I mean by that is have Flores spell Estrada once or twice a week at 2nd base and he could give Davis a rest once a week and maybe spell Pederson at DH a couple times a month.

Diaz' big league numbers are horrid up to now. I do think he should get a shot but I'm not so ready to put him on the roster at the expense of Villar. Another question is, who spells Crawford at shortstop? Estrada played 37 games there last year. Maybe he needs to be the backup. Diaz played 11 games at shortstop with Sacramento last year but that was first time he saw action there since 2017. I don't think that earns him a place on the roster so they can say that they have a backup for Crawford. That would be like saying Villar is on the roster so he can back up Estrada at 2nd base.

Bottom line, I think the Giants should run with an infield of Crawford, Davis, Estrada, Flores, Villar and Wade, with the assumption that the Giants won't just let Wade go. If his spring looks awful, and someone else pushes for a roster spot (Diaz, Villar, and/or Sabol) then that may just happen.

Perception only, but over my course of watching Wilmer he seems to get hits in big situations. Likely past or getting close to his stale date but having an emotional guy on the bench isn't all bad. I've seen Giant teams with talent in the past that are flat emotionally, not my preference.

Of course if he's crowding out a deserving talent WF I've no problem with him moving on. Not sure if that's the case

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception only, but over my course of watching Wilmer he seems to get hits in big situations. Likely past or getting close to his stale date but having an emotional guy on the bench isn't all bad. I've seen Giant teams with talent in the past that are flat emotionally, not my preference.

Of course if he's crowding out a deserving talent WF I've no problem with him moving on. Not sure if that's the case
His numbers are not awful, so I'm not advocating for the Giants to jettison him (I'd rather that happen to LWJ if he doesn't look good in spring training). Rather, my comments were more to the fact that it seemed odd that the Giants would extend him if they don't see him as a middle infielder, in light of the fact that they have so many corner guys.

To your point, he came to bat last year 135 times with runners in scoring position. In those 135 PAs, he slashed .293/.393/.547. He hit .189/.285/.311 in 354 PAs with the bases empty. In late and close games (a category that BBRef doesn't expand on, so I don't know their criteria for late and close), he slashed .305/.402/.537 in 97 PAs. So I think your perception is pretty good on this one. I will note, however, that his numbers are much worse with RISP in 2 out situations (.231/.375/.410in 97 PAs but still pretty decent) and in tie games (.181/.283/.289 in 191 PAs).

I'm not advocating for him not being on the team. I'm advocating for him to be the short side of a 2nd base platoon and backup to 3rd base and DH (or 1st base if Villar is at 3rd).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge changed his mind and he reports to us on Saturday

Don’t be so Judge mental.
Gavel Order In The Court GIF by Judge Jerry

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, having Jerry Springer as a moderator here would help so much.

Any relation to George Springer? Maybe he could issue a court order for him to play for us.
LOL

I never realized how similar Springer and Lewis Black looked. I was certain that was Lewis Black. But you are right. That is Jerry…

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, having Jerry Springer as a moderator here would help so much.

Any relation to George Springer? Maybe he could issue a court order for him to play for us.
He just brought order to the court bitch!

:P