• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wil Myers is another option. The Pads would need to buy him out, but that is likely (1M buyout vs 20M for ‘23). He hit great at the ‘Cove, so this is actually a decent possibility. I figure he could be had on a 1/8. He is not a needle mover, but he could be a nice under-the-radar add.
Meh. I think I'd prefer Sano.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I think I'd prefer Sano.
Myers has a history of hitting in this park. Sanyo has only had 1 worth-while season and has zero ties to this team.

While I agree that neither move excites me, but if the market dries up, and 1B is still open, I would prefer Myers be brought in to compete with Longo/Davis/Villar for 1B time than Sano. Though if Sano is considerably cheaper than Myers, he may be the better lotto ticket.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the article for the catchers. I HOPE we are in the market for a backup. Wynns sucks.

Of course there will be multiple NRIs, and that will probably be route the team takes to fill the backup job, but I wouldn’t mind them solidifying the “other” 35% of catching time with one of these guys…

Barnhart
Hedges
Zunino
Casali

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there were cases where he would be in the field and Wade would be the DH (or another similar configuration). I think that is what LHG is getting at. He would be in the field where it didn’t seem like the best defensive alignment given the players in the lineup.
The more I think about this the more I start to suspect Kapler's management ability and/or the FO approach to building a contender.
If LHG can generate all these statistics that clearly point to some VERY STRANGE line-up arrangements and some very questionable decisions .... I have to guess that somewhere in the oranization someone else has also developed these statistics and they all see what we see. It's pretty clear ... which leads me to think they are incompetent (doubtful) or they are purposely making decisions that puts a less competitive team on the field. I find this hard to explain .... but why would you purposely feild a team that is clearly not the best team you could field?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As LHG said, he is VERY streaky. Belt and Pedo level streaky. That concerns me.
I hear you, but given the length of the season I'm ok with riding out the good and bad streaks. Should even out over 162 and there's always a chance he gets hot in October (JOctober)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the more I start to suspect Kapler's management ability and/or the FO approach to building a contender.
If LHG can generate all these statistics that clearly point to some VERY STRANGE line-up arrangements and some very questionable decisions .... I have to guess that somewhere in the oranization someone else has also developed these statistics and they all see what we see. It's pretty clear ... which leads me to think they are incompetent (doubtful) or they are purposely making decisions that puts a less competitive team on the field. I find this hard to explain .... but why would you purposely feild a team that is clearly not the best team you could field?
LOL

”Even LHG can see this doesn’t make sense…”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

dumb and dumber thread GIF

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I get his point. Why does the FO and manager run lineups and defensive configurations that a fan can easily see is bad? There is the whole "we are in the org so we aren't aware of everything" factor, which is why tzill comes at it with an idea that the manager doesn't have better alternatives. But it is well documented that, for example, Pederson's defense is horribly bad. Pretty hard to make a convincing argument that there is no one better on the team to play in left field (much less, right field?!?!). Is this entire squad that inept in left field? Well, that reflects on the FO, then, doesn't it? Who goes into a season and collects the world's most awful collection of current big league players when it comes to left field defense? Because if Joc Pederson is the best the team has defensively in left field, that is pretty bad.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point. Why does the FO and manager run lineups and defensive configurations that a fan can easily see is bad? There is the whole "we are in the org so we aren't aware of everything" factor, which is why tzill comes at it with an idea that the manager doesn't have better alternatives. But it is well documented that, for example, Pederson's defense is horribly bad. Pretty hard to make a convincing argument that there is no one better on the team to play in left field (much less, right field?!?!). Is this entire squad that inept in left field? Well, that reflects on the FO, then, doesn't it? Who goes into a season and collects the world's most awful collection of current big league players when it comes to left field defense? Because if Joc Pederson is the best the team has defensively in left field, that is pretty bad.
But Pedo's defense isn't the only consideration. He's one of the few guys who can actually hit, and he's not cold right now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2015 Padres?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Pedo's defense isn't the only consideration. He's one of the few guys who can actually hit, and he's not cold right now.
Having him in the lineup isnt the question (at least in THIS discussion). It is about where he plays. Why never put him in the DH spot? Especially when you have Wade DHing in the same game.

I understand one offs. Maybe Wade stubbed his toe this morning, so they don’t want him taking the field. I get it. But we aren’t talking about a one-time thing. The defensive configurations this season have been generally head-scratching.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having him in the lineup isnt the question (at least in THIS discussion). It is about where he plays. Why never put him in the DH spot? Especially when you have Wade DHing in the same game.

I understand one offs. Maybe Wade stubbed his toe this morning, so they don’t want him taking the field. I get it. But we aren’t talking about a one-time thing. The defensive configurations this season have been generally head-scratching.
It was very head scratching when LaStella was a regular at the DH spot and Pederson was in left field as well. The fact that LaStella was even active was confusing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was very head scratching when LaStella was a regular at the DH spot and Pederson was in left field as well. The fact that LaStella was even active was confusing.
You can’t just get .175 off the street, you know…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I don’t think either of us are being overly critical. Personally, I can/will accept almost any attempt at an explanation. I realize I only know about 2% of the critical information that goes into these decisions. If Gabe were to say ‘we got a message from Dr Strange telling us that this is the only way to stop Thanos”, I would be shocked that the Giants lineup could save half of all life in the universe, but I would accept it. They know more than we do. But we haven’t been given that insight, therefore, I am going to question the logic.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to argue against Pederson being in the lineup (that should be a given that he is a regular). I'm trying to argue against Pederson being in the field. The fact that he is one of the few guys who can actually hit makes the absurdity of other players in the DH spot more pronounced.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to argue against Pederson being in the lineup (that should be a given that he is a regular). I'm trying to argue against Pederson being in the field. The fact that he is one of the few guys who can actually hit makes the absurdity of other players in the DH spot more pronounced.
I would argue (and have… repeatedly) that this EXACTLY explains why Pedo should not be in the lineup.

But I like baseball. My opinion means nothing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue (and have… repeatedly) that this EXACTLY explains why Pedo should not be in the lineup.

But I like baseball. My opinion means nothing.
It is pretty astounding that his offensive contributions are almost completely canceled out by his defensive ineptitude.

But, we have the DH. May as well put that spot to good use.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is pretty astounding that his offensive contributions are almost completely canceled out by his defensive ineptitude.

But, we have the DH. May as well put that spot to good use.
Baggs was on M&M this AM. He interviewed Pedo recently, and one of the questions he asked was in regards to his defense, and relatedly, his slovenly appearance (indicating a lack of conditioning). Pedo’s response was essentially, “it is what it is. It ain’t changing”.

Fuck this dude. He doesn’t care. Let some other team carry his worthless carcass.

Last edited by a moderator: