• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point being that you don't see the FO as idiots (the idea being that they are not stupid enough to play Pederson in the field). If that is the measure of their idiocy, then my counterpoint is that they continue to run him out there on a regular basis this year, with both the eye test AND the statistics to show that is a stupid thing to do. There have been countless times that they have started Wade at 1st, Pederson at left and someone who would else (i.e. LaStella) at DH.
My point isn't that the FO are idiots (I don't really believe that idiots get that far up in an organization's depth charts but there are exceptions), only that I don't have faith that this leadership group will realize that Pederson is best suited as full time DH in 2023. Your post convinces me that they will waste their money next year if they bring him back and play him in the field.
I don't think they will play him much in the field. Maybe a very occasional start and an inning here or there after he PH vs. RH RP.

A big piece of why they played him in the field this year is probably lack of viable alternatives. I don't think that will be the case next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will play him much in the field. Maybe a very occasional start and an inning here or there after he PH vs. RH RP.

A big piece of why they played him in the field this year is probably lack of viable alternatives. I don't think that will be the case next year.
But there were cases where he would be in the field and Wade would be the DH (or another similar configuration). I think that is what LHG is getting at. He would be in the field where it didn’t seem like the best defensive alignment given the players in the lineup.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I find that hard to believe considering his defensive ineptitude.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there were cases where he would be in the field and Wade would be the DH (or another similar configuration). I think that is what LHG is getting at. He would be in the field where it didn’t seem like the best defensive alignment given the players in the lineup.
Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR is doing a series of positional breakdowns for FAs. They just posted 2B today, but they have already done C and 1B. Since we will likely be in the 1B market, here is their take on that market…

I wouldn’t be upset with we got stuck with Abreu, Bell or Mancini. But Drury seems more the type of player that FZ gets a little uncomfortable in the mid-section over. Belt should only be given a NRI, but I don’t really think he will accept that from the Giants (hard to take that kind of ego hit in your own home).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR is doing a series of positional breakdowns for FAs. They just posted 2B today, but they have already done C and 1B. Since we will likely be in the 1B market, here is their take on that market…

I wouldn’t be upset with we got stuck with Abreu, Bell or Mancini. But Drury seems more the type of player that FZ gets a little uncomfortable in the mid-section over. Belt should only be given a NRI, but I don’t really think he will accept that from the Giants (hard to take that kind of ego hit in your own home).
I usually get nervous about free agents in their mid to late 30s, especially when they've posted good numbers. That sounds counter intuitive but its because they are expecting a lot of money over a few years. I know that there are guys like Barry Bonds and Justin Verlander who are very productive at this age but there are also guys like Kevin Brown and Albert Pujols who age very fast on the field. I guess I'd be okay with Abreu on a 2 year deal but anything longer than that would probably handcuff the organization.

As for Bell, the dude is feast or famine. He's had some great years and he's also been a big drain on the team in some years. I'd be concerned about signing a guy who has yet to hit on the West Coast. Of course, maybe he somehow starts to hit in SF after not hitting in SD, but it is a red flag to me.

I think Mancini is very overrated. Essentially, he has had two good seasons. His career OPS (.791) is mainly from his 2017 and 2019 seasons. I love his story about coming back from cancer but his numbers don't suggest 1st baseman/DH. If you didn't like Belt, why sign Mancini? He is, essentially, Belt-lite.

I may be okay with Sano as he is likely to not be retained by the Twins and should be available on a cheap, short term "pillow" contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a similar 2023 season to Bell but on a lot cheaper contract.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, depending upon price, Bell would be fine. His only bad year was the asterisk year, so I'm prepared to write that one off. He'll give 800 OPS, 120 OPS+, hit .265 with 20-25 bombs -- i.e. about 3 WAR. If we could get him for something like 60/3 it'd be a deal. Decent production from 1b, decent glove. He wouldn't hurt the lineup.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don’t have any 1B anywhere in the pipeline, so I am more OK with locking us up at the position than I would be with going big at 3B or SS. However, I also like the idea of 1B being a bit like LF in that it can be a dit of a ”DH with a glove” position on the field. Though having a defensive stud at 1B can quietly add a LOT of value (look at Clark, Snow and Belt)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what they're gonna do with Luciano when we sign Trea Turner?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what they're gonna do with Luciano when we sign Trea Turner?
I have heard bad things about his defense. I suspect he will settle in the OF. Unfortunately, Arteaga is getting equally bad ratings for his defense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard bad things about his defense. I suspect he will settle in the OF. Unfortunately, Arteaga is getting equally bad ratings for his defense.
like, corner OF bad, or just can't play SS bad?

bottom line: can he play CF?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like, corner OF bad, or just can't play SS bad?

bottom line: can he play CF?
The whole OF thing is my read. I haven’t seen anyone “in the know” say that. I just figure that if he can’t stay at SS (he is filling out AND is not playing the position well right now — not a good combo), his obvious options are 3B or 2B. Schmitt is reportedly elite level defensively, so he is likely locking that down. That leaves 2B. But if he has an arm (I think I remember reading he has a good arm??), that may be a waste, so that means maybe he would be better in right or center? Can he handle either? I don’t know.

If he continues to fill out, maybe he could be a decent 1B, but if he has the range to be a SS as a kid, that may be a waste as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, depending upon price, Bell would be fine. His only bad year was the asterisk year, so I'm prepared to write that one off. He'll give 800 OPS, 120 OPS+, hit .265 with 20-25 bombs -- i.e. about 3 WAR. If we could get him for something like 60/3 it'd be a deal. Decent production from 1b, decent glove. He wouldn't hurt the lineup.
His numbers with SD are not concerning to you? At all?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAGs…

Abreu would get a 2/60 or a 3/70
Bell would get a 3/60 or 4/70
Mancini would get a 3/45
Sano could get something like a 1/6 or a 2/10

I would not want to go in with Sano being the pencilled-in starter. He is a flyer and nothing more, imho.

Abreu still looks like he has gas in the tank. It is a risk, of course, but I think he is worth the roll of the dice.

Bell and Mancini are younger, but riskier. Neither knocks me over, but they would be middle of the order adds and will allow us to focus on going after Turner and/or Judge.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don’t have any 1B anywhere in the pipeline, so I am more OK with locking us up at the position than I would be with going big at 3B or SS. However, I also like the idea of 1B being a bit like LF in that it can be a dit of a ”DH with a glove” position on the field. Though having a defensive stud at 1B can quietly add a LOT of value (look at Clark, Snow and Belt)
I thought you leaned, generally, more toward 1st base as place where they stuck a guy for a day ("DH with a glove" as you said).

I'm not familiar with any of the bigger names' defensive abilities at 1st base. Do any of them approach the Clark/Belt/Snow level of defensive eliteness?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAGs…

Abreu would get a 2/60 or a 3/70
Bell would get a 3/60 or 4/70
Mancini would get a 3/45
Sano could get something like a 1/6 or a 2/10

I would not want to go in with Sano being the pencilled-in starter. He is a flyer and nothing more, imho.

Abreu still looks like he has gas in the tank. It is a risk, of course, but I think he is worth the roll of the dice.

Bell and Mancini are younger, but riskier. Neither knocks me over, but they would be middle of the order adds and will allow us to focus on going after Turner and/or Judge.
Mancini's slugging percentage hasn't been better than .432 since 2019. I'd say he's more of a lower half of the lineup (on a good team, that is).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you leaned, generally, more toward 1st base as place where they stuck a guy for a day ("DH with a glove" as you said).

I'm not familiar with any of the bigger names' defensive abilities at 1st base. Do any of them approach the Clark/Belt/Snow level of defensive eliteness?
I do. But when you have a roster full of guys who can play every position, that becomes less important. And Abreu is a needle mover, so everything goes out the window when you talk about players like him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Rizzo is another possibility. He will need to pass on a 1/16 with the Yanks, but that is likely at this point. I figure he would demand something like a 5/100 (similar to Abreu in aav).

I think I would prefer Abreu with his shorter contract, but Rizzo is probably the better long term player. I believe Rizzo has a great defensive rep. I am not sure what Abreu’s defense is.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wil Myers is another option. The Pads would need to buy him out, but that is likely (1M buyout vs 20M for ‘23). He hit great at the ‘Cove, so this is actually a decent possibility. I figure he could be had on a 1/8. He is not a needle mover, but he could be a nice under-the-radar add.