• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the Judge situation is resolved...

"Among the teams interested in signing the free agent are rumored to be the Baltimore Orioles, Seattle Mariners and San Francisco Giants."

A nice package deal would be to get both Yoshida and Senga. They could help each other acclimate. An OF and a SP, both things we need, and establish ourselves to the Japanese fan base. Just a thought.
Make it happen Mays

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but I think he wants to do the "Yankee my whole career" thing.

Probably means he goes into the HOF with no rings.
That’s the perpetual superstar dilemma. It costs so much to keep the superstar that they tend to be on crap teams.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, as we have learned from Belt, injury issues only increase with age. He may be recovered from his previous injuries but what is the likelihood that he'll stay injury free for any season?
I'd call it 50/50

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Nimmo coming to SF.

Devout Xtian, MAGAchud.

Not gonna happen.
I was going to say similar, but I'm on Nimmo's side spiritually and politically.

Good for them that they are NOT coming, unless they wanted a good "gates of Hell" ministry.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW:

Dodgers “Are Not Pursuing” Carlos Correa
December 7th, 2022 at 4:21pm CST • By Simon Hampton
The departure of Trea Turner to the Phillies has left the Dodgers with a bit of a hole at shortstop, but it seems they won’t be filling that spot with top free agent option Carlos Correa. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the team is not pursuing the former Astro and Twin, in part due to his involvement in the Astros’ sign-stealing team of 2017 that beat the Dodgers in the World Series, and how that might upset a large portion of their fanbase.

Interesting.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW:

Dodgers “Are Not Pursuing” Carlos Correa
December 7th, 2022 at 4:21pm CST • By Simon Hampton
The departure of Trea Turner to the Phillies has left the Dodgers with a bit of a hole at shortstop, but it seems they won’t be filling that spot with top free agent option Carlos Correa. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the team is not pursuing the former Astro and Twin, in part due to his involvement in the Astros’ sign-stealing team of 2017 that beat the Dodgers in the World Series, and how that might upset a large portion of their fanbase.

Interesting.

Makes sense actually. And now that Xander B is a Padre, Correa's best spot might be SF

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense actually. And now that Xander B is a Padre, Correa's best spot might be SF
Dodgers and Braves are two teams who need a shortstop but indicated that they are not interested in Correa (Dodgers because of the scandal, Braves because they only want Swanson or no one). Twins and Orioles seem interested. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Here's the remaining free agent players who played primarily at shortstop in 2022:
Carlos Correa
Dansby Swanson
Jose Iglesias
Elvis Andrus
Didi Gregorius
Marwin Gonzalez
Alcides Escobar
Danny Mendick
Wilmer Difo

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moved here from the Judge thread:
Yup.

11/320.

I kinda wanted him, but I do NOT want Swanson.
What is your beef with Swanson? Not woke enough?

If Correa or Bogaerts is a Lexus, Swanson is a loaded Camry.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moved here from the Judge thread:

What is your beef with Swanson? Not woke enough?

If Correa or Bogaerts is a Lexus, Swanson is a loaded Camry.
First, let me be clear: I hate both phuking sides in the culture war -- the MAGAchuds and the Woketarians.

That aside, a list of Swanson’s OBPs in his full seasons:

2017: .312
2018: .304
2019: .325
2020: .345
2021: .311
2022: .329

He also has a ton of swing-and-miss in his game, with 182 strikeouts last season and a strikeout rate that’s almost 4 percent higher than the league average. His walk rate has decreased in each of the last four seasons, and he has that Kris Bryant thing going, where his chase rate is actually good, but his contact on pitches in the strike zone isn’t.

There’s a decent chance that Swanson hits something like .240/.310/.430 next season, and he’ll do it with excellent defense that’s not quite Gold Glove-worthy.

There’s a decent chance that Crawford does the exact same thing.

The Giants already have Crawford.

Too much money for a marginal upgrade.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, let me be clear: I hate both phuking sides in the culture war -- the MAGAchuds and the Woketarians.

That aside, a list of Swanson’s OBPs in his full seasons:

2017: .312
2018: .304
2019: .325
2020: .345
2021: .311
2022: .329

He also has a ton of swing-and-miss in his game, with 182 strikeouts last season and a strikeout rate that’s almost 4 percent higher than the league average. His walk rate has decreased in each of the last four seasons, and he has that Kris Bryant thing going, where his chase rate is actually good, but his contact on pitches in the strike zone isn’t.

There’s a decent chance that Swanson hits something like .240/.310/.430 next season, and he’ll do it with excellent defense that’s not quite Gold Glove-worthy.

There’s a decent chance that Crawford does the exact same thing.

The Giants already have Crawford.

Too much money for a marginal upgrade.
Crawford will be 36 on Opening Day. Swanson will be 29.

Swanson is getting better. We'll see if Crawford returns to form.

It has been indicated that Crawford can play other positions, eg 2B or 3B.

While Swanson's SO rate is high, Crawford has never exactly been Mr. Contact either.

Hey, we gotta get SOMEbody.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we even been linked to Swanson? Even in a vague way? I hear us linked to Correa, but I haven’t heard anything about us going for Swanson.

But we weren’t linked to Cueto or Rodon either. Our bigger FA signings tend to be out of the blue vs rumored.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see SS as being the number one issue for 2023, but it likely will be by 2024/2025. If we can get a good replacement for Craw now who has 6-7 productive years ahead, we should.

If that means Craw goes to 2nd or 3rd, so be it. Given his cannon I can't see how he wouldn't work out at 3B and I assume, perhaps wrongly, 3rd is less demanding defensively than SS.

Outside of Judge none of these guys will drive attendance/excitement. So start working on putting a solid core together.

But do not overspend / overcommit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see SS as being the number one issue for 2023, but it likely will be by 2024/2025. If we can get a good replacement for Craw now who has 6-7 productive years ahead, we should.

If that means Craw goes to 2nd or 3rd, so be it. Given his cannon I can't see how he wouldn't work out at 3B and I assume, perhaps wrongly, 3rd is less demanding defensively than SS.

Outside of Judge none of these guys will drive attendance/excitement. So start working on putting a solid core together.

3B is a totally different skillset from SS.

SS needs a stronger arm (the DEEP 5.5 grounder) and a huge range.

3B needs a strong arm, but not AS strong. A 3B is rarely moving away from 1B when he makes the throw. 3B also require much quicker reflexes than a SS.

2B doesn’t really NEED an arm, but it can be helpful on the grounder up the middle. There also needs to be a versatility to make the turn and have an awareness of when to cover 1B instead of going for the ball.

All 3 positions are unique and have different requirements. I agree that if Craw can’t play SS, 3B is probably the more logical new position, but I am not certain he has the reflexes (not accusing him of not having them, just saying I don’t know if he has them).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3B is a totally different skillset from SS.

SS needs a stronger arm (the DEEP 5.5 grounder) and a huge range.

3B needs a strong arm, but not AS strong. A 3B is rarely moving away from 1B when he makes the throw. 3B also require much quicker reflexes than a SS.

2B doesn’t really NEED an arm, but it can be helpful on the grounder up the middle. There also needs to be a versatility to make the turn and have an awareness of when to cover 1B instead of going for the ball.

All 3 positions are unique and have different requirements. I agree that if Craw can’t play SS, 3B is probably the more logical new position, but I am not certain he has the reflexes (not accusing him of not having them, just saying I don’t know if he has them).
You guys with your faux specialization, talking about different positions like they are medical specialties or quantum physics PhD's.

I remember Ozzie Guillen's comment to us when we acquired Juan Uribe:

"If you play him at second, he'll be your best second baseman.

If you play him at shortstop, he'll be your best shortstop.

If you play him at third, he'll be your best third baseman."

It's BASEBALL, not rocket surgery.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To take it a step further, since we didn't get Judge, the FO might look to tank this year. Paper it over with guys like Haniger and maybe a second- or third-tier SP so it looks like we tried so they can sell some tickets, but do a de facto tank.