• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Offseason...Free Agency & Draft. How do you fill the holes?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cooks deal keeps looking better and better for Dallas. Why did he agree to this I wonder ?

he was going to get $13.5M this year. He doesn’t think if cut he could get more than $7M next year?
sometimes a player simply just wants to win! :suds:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cooks deal keeps looking better and better for Dallas. Why did he agree to this I wonder ?

he was going to get $13.5M this year. He doesn’t think if cut he could get more than $7M next year?
Converting it to bonus gets him the $8M up front he will still get $4M from us and $6M from Houston, so he gets the same $18M this year he was due. The Cowboys just cleared up more cap space

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Converting it to bonus gets him the $8M up front he will still get $4M from us and $6M from Houston, so he gets the same $18M this year he was due. The Cowboys just cleared up more cap space
This is 100% a pay cut not a restructure. Forget the $6M from Hou as he gets that either way. His original contract would have paid him $29M over two years from us and now it's $20M over two years if what I am reading is accurate. I can only surmise he felt he wouldn't have seen the non-guaranteed $16.M next year and would have been cut and also didn't think he could get that as a free agent or that this was "wink wink" agreed on as part of the trade

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why?
you hear something about Wagner or something?
We currently have $19.5M in cap space this year and we get another $11M when Zeke's salary comes off the books after 6/1. We can always roll the savings into next year but why clear that much space if you don't have a plan for it?

The other possibilities are extending Diggs and/or Steele but still a lot left for moves. In addition to the Wagner possibility, we need a DT badly. Not just in th way we have for years from a talent perspective. We just don't have many DTs right now. Hankins, Robinson, someone else? One year guys like Calais Campbeell or Suh? We need bodies as well as talent there.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is 100% a pay cut not a restructure. Forget the $6M from Hou as he gets that either way. His original contract would have paid him $29M over two years from us and now it's $20M over two years if what I am reading is accurate. I can only surmise he felt he wouldn't have seen the non-guaranteed $16.M next year and would have been cut and also didn't think he could get that as a free agent or that this was "wink wink" agreed on as part of the trade
Yeah, if he played that 2nd year he would have been cut. The Cowboys have Diggs, Lamb and Parsons coming up the next couple of years. There is no shot he was getting the $16M next year. Smart business decision on his part.
Conversely, I think Schultz made a poor decision. 1 year/$9M from Houston? He could have gotten 3/$21 easy from Dallas. After spending a year with Houston's offense and putting up 500 yards I doubt he will make more than that other 2/$12M anywhere else

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have $19.5M in cap space this year and we get another $11M when Zeke's salary comes off the books after 6/1. We can always roll the savings into next year but why clear that much space if you don't have a plan for it?

The other possibilities are extending Diggs and/or Steele but still a lot left for moves. In addition to the Wagner possibility, we need a DT badly. Not just in th way we have for years from a talent perspective. We just don't have many DTs right now. Hankins, Robinson, someone else? One year guys like Calais Campbeell or Suh? We need bodies as well as talent there.
The club has to use part of that money to cover Tyron Smith's incentives. If he plays the whole season(I know), his deal goes from $6M to $17M

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The club has to use part of that money to cover Tyron Smith's incentives. If he plays the whole season(I know), his deal goes from $6M to $17M
No, not necessarily. Incentives are categorized as "likely to be earned" or "not likely to be earned". The fact that both Spotrac and Over the Cap don't list them in the current year's hit leads me to believe they have been deemed "not likely to be earned". This would mean they would hit next years cap if earned, not this year's.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This: "And ... why should Wagner consider the Cowboys, should a real offer come his way?

"He played under Dan Quinn, who knows how to utilize his skill set to make him dominate for another year,'' Wright tells us. "He’ll come in and show the Cowboys what a 'championship culture' looks like. How to prepare your mind and body. How to study film and how to be a great off the field as well."

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if he played that 2nd year he would have been cut. The Cowboys have Diggs, Lamb and Parsons coming up the next couple of years. There is no shot he was getting the $16M next year. Smart business decision on his part.
Conversely, I think Schultz made a poor decision. 1 year/$9M from Houston? He could have gotten 3/$21 easy from Dallas. After spending a year with Houston's offense and putting up 500 yards I doubt he will make more than that other 2/$12M anywhere else
Schultz is a good TE, but not a great TE IMO .. Schultz be lucky if he wins 6 games the Texans suck apparently the NFL is not in a hurry to overspend . oBJ with that bum knee is going to find that out the hard way. I like OBJ, but that knee is a major red flag

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not necessarily. Incentives are categorized as "likely to be earned" or "not likely to be earned". The fact that both Spotrac and Over the Cap don't list them in the current year's hit leads me to believe they have been deemed "not likely to be earned". This would mean they would hit next years cap if earned, not this year's.
Most are pretty easy. For instance, if he plays 55% of offensive snaps he gets $1M, 60% $2M, 65% $3M, and so on.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Call Of Duty Ok GIF by Call of Duty World League

I guess we just need a backup for Tyron (which means a 10 game starter) and I assume we go there in the draft too. If it's a vet minimum it's great to just bring someone in and allows us to keep looking

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3