• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Preseason Thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is odd and not the waiving of Blough, but there is a lack of backup QB's on the market.

laughable

On Monday, coach Dan Campbell said this was a possibility, should the Lions find a clear upgrade.

“I think the best way to answer is whoever is out there, you’ve got to know it’s a clear upgrade from what’s already in this building would be the best way to say it,” Campbell said. “Because if it’s not then why would you do it?”

This preseason, Sudfeld played in all three games, completing 26-of-38 passes for 254 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception.

Sudfeld is a tall passer (6-foot-6) who enjoyed a pretty successful career as a three-year starter at Indiana. There, he completed 60.3 of his passes for 8.0 yards per attempt while connecting on 61 touchdowns to just 20 interceptions. He has decent arm strength, and while he has good athleticism, he mostly fits as a pocket passer.
Meh. Need to see more of him but he is just a place holder.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the hell games he was watching to keep Jefferson over Jackson. Also, Seibert over Patterson. Neither had 60-yard range but at least Patterson does not duck hook his kicks. At least we won't have to worry about winning close games now.

I would think RB coach Staley had some say in this, but not the final decision. Maybe they see more upside with Jefferson, but I cannot. Also, Justin Jackson is an UFA so it's quite possible he's brought back - remember Jackson was un-signed all throughout the summer until he came here.

Seibert and Patterson seem like a tossup outside of the former might have a better chance of connecting on an FG longer than 45 yards. Seibert had a pretty bad foot injury last year and I read that he may still not be at his 100% at this time.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Need to see more of him but he is just a place holder.

As far as backup QB's go, there isn't anyone available that would move the needle.

At least Holmes didn't waste a future draft pick to trade for a backup QB - at least he hasn't yet.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is just a place holder.

No different than those players, #'s 47-#53, who won't be active on gameday. - i.e., Jermar Jefferson. Stenberg

And I'll still bitch about not having all 53 rostered players available and active on gameday. It's one of the most egregious rules, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This defensive group is littered with inexperienced players throughout all three levels. It's going to be interesting to watch this upcoming season. There does appear to be more athletically talented players on this side, but will they gel and play well?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you click on this tweet, it'll open up in expanded form.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had assumed prior to the final 53 that Reynolds would be the backup to J. Williams and that Justin Jackson would be the backup to Swift. Jefferson doesn't have the wiggle, twitch or speed that Jackson showed. Jefferson also appears to be the redundant version to both Reynolds and J. Williams, but to a much lesser degree than those two.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think RB coach Staley had some say in this, but not the final decision. Maybe they see more upside with Jefferson, but I cannot. Also, Justin Jackson is an UFA so it's quite possible he's brought back - remember Jackson was un-signed all throughout the summer until he came here.

Seibert and Patterson seem like a tossup outside of the former might have a better chance of connecting on an FG longer than 45 yards. Seibert had a pretty bad foot injury last year and I read that he may still not be at his 100% at this time.
No reason to ever keep an injured kicker not named Justin Tucker.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had assumed prior to the final 53 that Reynolds would be the backup to J. Williams and that Justin Jackson would be the backup to Swift. Jefferson doesn't have the wiggle, twitch or speed that Jackson showed. Jefferson also appears to be the redundant version to both Reynolds and J. Williams, but to a much lesser degree than those two.
I see him as a much lesser version of Swift actually. Only runs outside and without adequate power. Only he has less power too.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you click on this tweet, it'll open up in expanded form.

I like to use something I call Avg less longest run. Iggy and Jeffy are around 2.0 which is pretty bad. Reynolds is over 4 and Jackson over 5 which is unheard of.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like they signed Sudfield just to teach me a lesson for complaining about BLough

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL would probably let the Lions win a Championship when the World comes to an end just to deprive the Lions fan base of any bragging rights. The Packers will probably make the Super Bowl so the NFL puppet Rodgers can get an At-A-Boy from the league. The Lions on the other hand have been in the cellar the last few years and will take 3rd place in the NFC North so the Talking Heads can give that HYPE in 2023 of the Lions are making some really good improvements "I think they're going to be contenders!!" And yet the Lions will only be Schedule Fillers and the fan base will get sucked in once again. Campbell gets fired after his forth year and the rebuild starts... (skips) starts again.. (skips) starts again.. (skips) starts again ...It's how a broken record goes. It's just the same ole song and dance with different names and faces.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At 6-foot-1, 329 pounds, Jones fills Detroit’s need for more nose tackle candidates on their defense.

Our friends at Red Cup Rebellion wrote a great draft profile on Jones. Here’s a snippet:

Jones started all four years as a Rebel and has significant playing experience at his position. His big frame and lower body looks like that of an NFL nose tackle and provides built-in leverage for him to stay centered and get his hands under the pad level of a taller block. He gets off the ball with an incredibly quick first step for a 300-pound guy— he is able to win off the line, break down, and meet a back in the hole.

At this time, the Lions have not announced a corresponding move to fit Jones on the roster. However, one has to wonder if Isaiah Buggs—currently in that nose tackle role—may be in danger of being waived.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions players who cleared waivers (now a free agent)​

• WR Maurice Alexander
  • WR Kalil Pimpleton
  • RB Godwin Igwebuike
  • TE Derrick Deese
  • OT Obinna Eze
  • OT Darrin Paulo
  • LB Anthony Pittman
  • CB Cedric Boswell
  • CB Mark Gilbert

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like they signed Sudfeld just to teach me a lesson for complaining about Blough

Lol.
Nah, punishment for me suggesting Mason Rudolph and Mike White as possibilities.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, on this link you'll have to keep clicking on the view more link, but it'll show all claimed players, signed to PS or Free Agents who've signed to a team's roster, plus players traded today.

Bears and Jaguars went nuts on players claimed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the hell does this staff continue to give Jarrad Davis and players like him continuous chances.
These moves make me question Brad Holmes' decision making.

Detroit Lions 2022 practice squad members (16 player max)​

1. TE Garrett Griffin (per Dave Birkett)
  2. CB Saivion Smith (per Dave Birkett)
  3. NB AJ Parker (per Justin Rogers)
  4. WR Tom Kennedy (per Tom Pelissero)
  5. RB Justin Jackson (per Justin Rogers)
  6. EDGE James Houston (per Kyle T. Mosley)
  7. WR Maurice Alexander (per Lions)
  8. LB Jarrad Davis (per Lions)
  9. TE Derrick Deese (per Lions)
  10. DT Bruce Hector (per Lions)
  11. LB Anthony Pittman (per Lions)
  12. OT Dan Skipper (per Lions)
  13. OT Obinna Eze (per Lions)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2