• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Offseason... FA, Draft, Staff, Camps, Etc

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey the Steelers signed a Safety!

:)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey the Steelers signed a Safety!

:)
Hedging their bets… this tells me they don’t plan on signing a starting SS any time soon.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• The Steelers signed James Daniels and Mason Cole in free agency. Cole has primarily played center, while Daniels has played the position as a pro as well. Daniels has spent most of his NFL days at guard, and it is possible 2021 Steelers center Kendrick Green becomes the team’s other guard starter. Mike Tomlin is open to moving Green to guard, Mark Kaboly of The Athletic notes (subscription required). A third-round pick last year, Green started 15 games as a rookie. PFF graded him as one of the league’s worst centers. A move to guard, where he spent most of his time at Illinois, could potentially open the door to improvement and threaten Kevin Dotson‘s starting role. Dotson, a 2020 fourth-rounder, opened the season as Pittsburgh’s left guard starter but missed eight games due to injury.
  • Zach Banner‘s Steelers exit stemmed from his 2020 ACL tear remaining a deterrent, Kaboly adds. Banner opened the 2020 season as the Steelers’ starting right tackle but suffered the tear in Week 1. The 6-foot-8 blocker played seven games last season, but Kaboly adds his knee never returned to form.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not opposed to lighting a fire under Dotson’s ass. I figured Banner never returned to form. Steelers paid that man a lot of money to do essentially nothing last year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously there would be a bidding war for his services since he is still on his rookie contract until next year. Yes I would want him but not sure the Steelers would win that trade bidding war.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously there would be a bidding war for his services since he is still on his rookie contract until next year. Yes I would want him but not sure the Steelers would win that trade bidding war.
Seahawks looking to rebuild & acquiring draft capital.. Getting DK would require some top end draft picks that the Steelers aren't going to be willing to part with even IF they have their sights on WR in the top 2 rounds. Wouldn't be a bad move with DJ looking for an extension & Claypool under contract for 2 more years. The WR corp would need a massive overhaul if Claypool doesn't pan out & they don't pay DJ.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks looking to rebuild & acquiring draft capital.. Getting DK would require some top end draft picks that the Steelers aren't going to be willing to part with even IF they have their sights on WR in the top 2 rounds. Wouldn't be a bad move with DJ looking for an extension & Claypool under contract for 2 more years. The WR corp would need a massive overhaul if Claypool doesn't pan out & they don't pay DJ.
Yeah that was my thought. If they planned on using an early round for a WR then you trade it for DK with the guarantee you resign him long-term.

If there is no intention of drafting a WR early then the Steelers can't compete in the trade negotiations.

BTW..this seems to be WR they are scouting, assuming later in the draft?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. My take on quarterbacks in this draft class since that's where the Steelers want to go if they can.

1. Matt Corral. The only QB I would trade up for. I think anything past the 10-spot has decent value. Like his arm, moxy, mobility. There's still a good bit of risk/reward here but I do like the upside. He's got a cannon and legs for days.

2. Kenny Pickett. Safe, kinda like Matt Jones last year. Unspectacular but does a lot of things well. Wouldn't hate getting him at 20. Not a fan of moving up for him though.

3. Malik Willis. If he's there at our pick in the second it's a decent value.

4. Sam Howell. If he's there in the 4th round he could be a decent backup with upside.

5. Desmond Ridder. Priority free agent/camp body. This guy sucks.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope this doesn't create an over reaction from the Steelers.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB is weak behind the starters. If we don't see a decent FA signed, it'll have to become a draft priority. How often have we seen our starting LB's go down? It's a position that takes a pounding.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB is weak behind the starters. If we don't see a decent FA signed, it'll have to become a draft priority. How often have we seen our starting LB's go down? It's a position that takes a pounding.
Yeah they will need to draft one but I think they feel Genard Avery is the a good enough backup since they signed him last week.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm content with Avery backing up the OLBs... But they need another body that isn't named Tuszka.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These WR contracts being dished out this offseason are going to make extending DJ a pain in the ass... Feels like it was only a few years ago that AB was the highest paid WR at $16-17m.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. My take on quarterbacks in this draft class since that's where the Steelers want to go if they can.

1. Matt Corral. The only QB I would trade up for. I think anything past the 10-spot has decent value. Like his arm, moxy, mobility. There's still a good bit of risk/reward here but I do like the upside. He's got a cannon and legs for days.

2. Kenny Pickett. Safe, kinda like Matt Jones last year. Unspectacular but does a lot of things well. Wouldn't hate getting him at 20. Not a fan of moving up for him though.

3. Malik Willis. If he's there at our pick in the second it's a decent value.

4. Sam Howell. If he's there in the 4th round he could be a decent backup with upside.

5. Desmond Ridder. Priority free agent/camp body. This guy sucks.
Down bad on Ridder huh?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down bad on Ridder huh?
I'm obviously no expert, but his mechanics and footwork are some of the worst I've seen with quarterbacks I've actually looked at closely. I've seen mention of this in some other evaluations too so it's not just me. He hasn't been asked to read a defense yet or go through his progressions. Can he do it? Maybe? But that's not first round pick stuff. Or second IMHO. I don't think he's that good of a runner either. He's straight line fast. He's not shifty or evasive. He's got an arm. That's all. Camp-body is probably me being dramatic but I really wouldn't feel comfortable with anything before the fourth round.

My credentials: I once died on the Cade McNown hill and also loved Zach Wilson last year.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These WR contracts being dished out this offseason are going to make extending DJ a pain in the ass... Feels like it was only a few years ago that AB was the highest paid WR at $16-17m.

Let him walk. Draft his replacement this year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DK's asking price might be a little steep.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm obviously no expert, but his mechanics and footwork are some of the worst I've seen with quarterbacks I've actually looked at closely. I've seen mention of this in some other evaluations too so it's not just me. He hasn't been asked to read a defense yet or go through his progressions. Can he do it? Maybe? But that's not first round pick stuff. Or second IMHO. I don't think he's that good of a runner either. He's straight line fast. He's not shifty or evasive. He's got an arm. That's all. Camp-body is probably me being dramatic but I really wouldn't feel comfortable with anything before the fourth round.

My credentials: I once died on the Cade McNown hill and also loved Zach Wilson last year.
Lol I’m right there with you. Ridder, much like EVERY prospect this year, has very inconsistent film… the mechanics show some very raw prospects whose projections are really just based on hopes & dreams right now. Any other year I think most of these guys are 2nd Rd talents at best. Pickett is the only guy that jumps out at me as having the best makeup of arm & cerebral talent, but I think he should sit a year before starting. But I am somewhat biased here as I watched him pretty much all year. The rest of the guys I just watch analysis film on.

Ridder has flashed some great talent but has mixed that with plenty of shit film. I agree his footwork & mechanics are very troublesome. He’s going to need a lot of work. I like his film better than Malik Willis though. Which is crazy to me seeing the Willis hype train where it is. Willis is wildly erratic, having the worst accuracy stats of the entire draft class. He was downright abysmal at reading the intermediate window on film, but hey, he has a great deep ball so let’s drink the koolaid! Corral is somewhere between IMO. Better anticipator & gets through his progressions more fluidly, but still pretty erratic delivery.