• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but KD is likely too emotional to make that call

Not about that.

KD and Kyrie signed as a package.

If he is done with Kyrie too, that is one thing.

If he isn’t, then trading Kyrie makes it very likely you lose KD next.

And that is clearly not a good thing for Brooklyn.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 150,921.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not about that.

Agreed, but at the same time last years Kyrie is no good to KD or anyone else. KD knows this.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not about that.

It would be interesting if Kyrie does force his way out who goes after KD and actually has the assets to pull it off.

I do believe Kyrie will stay but a long-term deal definitely is the main point in the conversation and if BKN doesn't give him what he wants you better believe he is asking out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The options aren't that attractive though.....Detroit, Orlando, Indiana and I don't think SAS or Portland needs another guard.

I'm confident he'll take the 6 mill (not much of a cut since you pointed out his ceiling is 10mill, story you posted) with the potential for up to 4 years and 44 mill after next season.

Assuming his ceiling stays at $10 million (teams often overpay in FA), then yes, the Lakers have a good to decent shot. But the closer he gets to $10 million, the smaller the chances he will stay becomes. If someone offers more than $10 million...he gone.

Another way to look at it is that yes, he can play for $6 million this year, then sign for $11 million per year the next season. That would work out to $10 million per year for 5 years or $50 million vs. signing for $10 million a year now for 4 years or $40 million.

However, if he stays with the Lakers, he's gambling potentially gambling around $16 million over 4 years on not getting injured, duplicating or improving on this past season and trusting the Lakers to give him that $11 million per even though they can't actually give him any guarantees.

That's an awfully big gamble, imo.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take a player with baggage over a player who is cooked all day every day.

Brooklyn not doing that.

Also, while I get the frustration, Brooklyn is incredibly stupid if they trade Kyrie without KD’s blessing.

Incredibly stupid.

I agree.

As far as KD goes, he may be done as well, but just like with Westbrook, won't say so himself.

About the only way I could see this happening is KD would have to agree with the FO that Kyrie needs to go, the market for Kyrie would have to be depressed to the point that they can't get a better deal and KD would have to be okay with playing with Westbrook until at least the trade deadline and possibly the entire season. I don't see at least 2 of those things happening.

*Edit: One thing that could help the Lakers would be if they were willing to give him a longer term deal than anyone else. That might motivate Kyrie to try to force his way there. But even then, it still wouldn't solve the issue if KD doesn't want him.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

As far as KD goes, he may be done as well, but just like with Westbrook, won't say so himself.

About the only way I could see this happening is KD would have to agree with the FO that Kyrie needs to go, the market for Kyrie would have to be depressed to the point that they can't get a better deal and KD would have to be okay with playing with Westbrook until at least the trade deadline and possibly the entire season. I don't see at least 2 of those things happening.

*Edit: One thing that could help the Lakers would be if they were willing to give him a longer term deal than anyone else. That might motivate Kyrie to try to force his way there. But even then, it still wouldn't solve the issue if KD doesn't want him.

Has there been any speculation that KD wants Kyrie gone?

I have only heard the opposite.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has there been any speculation that KD wants Kyrie gone?

I have only heard the opposite.

There has been. But none of it is based on anything that KD has actually said.

Basically it's..."KD loves playing basketball and just wants to win. So Kyrie choosing not to play has got to be bothering him" kind of stuff.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically paying triple for the rest of the roster. That means Wiggins is likely gone in 23-24

I am curious what an extension looks like for Wiggins

They gonna need to find some cheap contributors to finish off the bench at some point cause the cheap guys now will either bust or get expensive

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious what an extension looks like for Wiggins

They gonna need to find some cheap contributors to finish off the bench at some point cause the cheap guys now will either bust or get expensive
Well they found those guys last year: Porter, Bjelica and then Payton improved. Everything kinda fell together this year on their side and opponents' injuries. Those end of bench guys expected played above expectations.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they found those guys last year: Porter, Bjelica and then Payton improved. Everything kinda fell together this year on their side and opponents' injuries. Those end of bench guys expected played above expectations.

Yeah. And now to keep any of them they likely need to use the tpmle

Which like 3-5x that salary for just one of them

And it’s hard to find that many guys who contribute making the minimum, ask the lakers

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And now to keep any of them they likely need to use the tpmle

Which like 3-5x that salary for just one of them

And it’s hard to find that many guys who contribute making the minimum, ask the lakers

It definitely becomes a crapshoot when you have to bring in a bunch of league minimum guys.

It worked really well in the bubble year. But Lebron and AD were healthy.

Last year, it worked okay in that they were able to get to the play in game despite AD and Lebron missing time, win that and then were up on the Suns 2-1 before AD got hurt again.

This year, outside of Monk, Reaves and Melo...they were a disaster.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a huge surprise

Makes sense.

Also interesting since they didn’t use their mle this year (although doesn’t seem they needed it as finals favorites)

They're at $171M (cap is 149) for 8 players currently (Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Wiseman, Kuminga, Poole, Moody), before any new Poole deal. They can give a raise to Looney (Bird rights) and have early Bird rights with West. They likely lose Payton and Porter, since they don't hold Bird rights (same restrictions as Monk with the Lakers). They have a small trade exception that expires 7/7 and the TPMLE ($6.3M) to work with in addition to draft picks and vet min deals to fill out the roster. It will be interesting to see what they can make of the offseason to fill out the roster and how long they will be willing to push their cap number past $200M (plus repeater luxury tax hits).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but I'd think you gotta start somewhere...

Like was mentioned previously, a healthy AD and Lebron and some added vets is likely a playoff team, and the franchise believes that is enough to contend with Lebron still paying exceedingly well. Trading him to a playoff team for late first round draft picks and far less talent coming back isn't really a help to rebuilding the franchise. If he's leaving, the cap space next year is just as good if not better if a strong offer doesn't materialize. Same with AD really; his value is low coming off a lot of missed time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like was mentioned previously, a healthy AD and Lebron and some added vets is likely a playoff team, and the franchise believes that is enough to contend with Lebron still paying exceedingly well. Trading him to a playoff team for late first round draft picks and far less talent coming back isn't really a help to rebuilding the franchise. If he's leaving, the cap space next year is just as good if not better if a strong offer doesn't materialize. Same with AD really; his value is low coming off a lot of missed time.

Yeah, the return they are likely to get would likely put them in that 6-10 seed territory that makes it so they are never bad enough to get good lottery picks, but don't really have a way to improve enough to get into the top 4-5 and be an actual contender.