• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Bears Offseason

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed this article in Sports Mockery from last week, but it touches on 6 potential FA targets for the Bears to chase:

All UFAs, all from winning programs, and most importantly, all represent solid needs for us at their respective positions. I think my two favorites, at least on paper, are Bradley Bozeman, C for the Ravens and Larry Ogunjobi, DT for the Bengals. Both are reaching their peak age and they help fill important needs on both sides of the line. Bozeman brings an added bonus of also having played the G position, which brings some versatility to the package. But damn, that 6'5, 311lb body can occupy some space and it would make for a nice change from the Bears historically fielding smallish centers. OTOH Ogunjobi, who had a great season, will not be playing in the SB due to a foot injury which occurred in the game against the Raiders and requires surgery. So while this might be seen as bit of of a risky move in inking a player with such a status, there's little doubt that his contract value will take a hit, so Poles should get him somewhat on the cheap. But if the Bears feel it's a bit too risky to ink the man, there's also his counterpart, Jarran Reed of the Chiefs.
So now we know that Ryan Poles reads my posts. :drum:

Again, as suggested above, the one concern we might have is the status of his recovery. Not poo-pooing any big injury requiring surgery, but I'd be more anxious if it was a knee injury.

A bit of a surprise opinion in this article stating the signing:

For one, it almost certainly rules out the team re-signing Akiem Hicks, and likely rules out Bilal Nichols, too.

No surprise with Hicks at all, being it's been the going thought by everyone for the last year. But I agree if Nichols will insist on a starting role with any team that inks him, I figured he'd have a shot at this if he re-upped with the Bears. Guess not.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we know that Ryan Poles reads my posts. :drum:

Again, as suggested above, the one concern we might have is the status of his recovery. Not poo-pooing any big injury requiring surgery, but I'd be more anxious if it was a knee injury.

A bit of a surprise opinion in this article stating the signing:

For one, it almost certainly rules out the team re-signing Akiem Hicks, and likely rules out Bilal Nichols, too.

No surprise with Hicks at all, being it's been the going thought by everyone for the last year. But I agree if Nichols will insist on a starting role with any team that inks him, I figured he'd have a shot at this if he re-upped with the Bears. Guess not.
I've already counted Hicks as gone.

Nichols, I am a bit disappointed that he's likely going to walk now. Him and and Ogunjobi (I need a nickname for this guy, ASAP) would make a solid pair of DT's.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say we got sufficient value for Mack in the trade, especially if he's fully back and healthy AND ready to hit it for a full season. But getting a 2nd for this year and that throw-away 6th for next year is about as good as we could expect. My question is with his salary off the books, what's the status of our cap space? My guess was it's the real reason for trading him, that the picks were just gravy.
Looks like I got the answer:

6th highest cap space rank is nothing to sneeze at. It gives Poles some additional wiggle room. Not sure tho if this number takes into account the Ogunjobi signing. The article doesn't state it one way or the other.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I got the answer:

6th highest cap space rank is nothing to sneeze at. It gives Poles some additional wiggle room. Not sure tho if this number takes into account the Ogunjobi signing. The article doesn't state it one way or the other.
Next year, as it stands, we will be #1 in cap space. With an eye popping 126 mil available.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels is gone...Interesting.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Holy shit, that would be insane. Where did you catch this?
Sheesh. Like you said on the White Sox board - you really have been missing a lot. That was circulating all over social media a couple of days ago.

Looking ahead to the 2023 season, the Bears get an additional $7.5 million in cap space, which moves their 2023 cap from $121 million to roughly $128.5 million for the 2023 season, per OverTheCap.

#1 in available cap space

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheesh. Like you said on the White Sox board - you really have been missing a lot. That was circulating all over social media a couple of days ago.

Looking ahead to the 2023 season, the Bears get an additional $7.5 million in cap space, which moves their 2023 cap from $121 million to roughly $128.5 million for the 2023 season, per OverTheCap.

#1 in available cap space

Welp, can't argue - not that I wanted to. I've been quite tired of always seeing Bears in low cap space territory, so it's refreshing to see things getting so much better. I just didn't catch how we'll skyrocket so fast. It's really weird. Guess I need to take more long vacays. Good things happen while I'm away.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let's add another 'just became an ex-Bear':

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser around here.
I think it's pretty obvious Poles just wants to obliterate any trace of Pace's creation, create cap space, pickup some draft capital, and build his own vision.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty obvious Poles just wants to obliterate any trace of Pace's creation, create cap space, pickup some draft capital, and build his own vision.
Can't argue with this take. It does seem as if he's in dismantling mode. Not sure I'm crazy about some of the players he's let walk, particularly Grant and Nichols. But it's only fair to let him build the team as he envisions before coming to any judgment.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't argue with this take. It does seem as if he's in dismantling mode. Not sure I'm crazy about some of the players he's let walk, particularly Grant and Nichols. But it's only fair to let him build the team as he envisions before coming to any judgment.

Im just wondering why we have not made a move for an ot or a wr......i know that other NFL Live was talking the longer teams wait the price tags for players go down,damn,Id hate to see bigger names come off that board and not to even give an offer........
Just recently cut Tretter and Armstead come to mind for ot.....

With Mack freeing up cap space,we dont have enough picks to draft all needs.....It would be nice to get another player or two of value in freeagancy......

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just wondering why we have not made a move for an ot or a wr......i know the other NFL L was talking the longer teams wait the price tags for players go down,damn,Id hate to see bigger names come off that board ant to even give an offer........
Just recently cut Tretter and Armstead come to mind for ot.....

With Mack freeing up cap space,we dont have enough picks to draft all needs.....It would be nice to get another player or two of value in freeagancy......
I have to say at this juncture that in terms of talent, who we've cut or let walk has been better than who we've added. Naturally we have to wait and see how this all plays out down the road. But at this point in time, our roster seems to be weaker.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio Jones was cut......He may have something left in the tank and could come cheap.......

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that I like both of those guys. However, a "good but not great" DT and a 30 year old return man aren't exactly moving the needle for us contention wise over the next couple of seasons. I'm not going to sweat it much.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that I like both of those guys. However, a "good but not great" DT and a 30 year old return man aren't exactly moving the needle for us contention wise over the next couple of seasons. I'm not going to sweat it much.
Ditto.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this should be a separate thread titled 2023 Bears offseason, but it's fitting here, being it explains what all of us already knew - that the freed up cap space weighs a lot more heavily in the Mack trade than the picks we received. There's also a list of key players who will be UFAs when next year's cap will reach that $121m mark Rich was alluding to earlier in this thread. A lot of talent in that list.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Failed physical. Bears won't sign him. I'm actually glad. I don't understand what the plan is. We let go of a lot of players and now they wanted to sign this DT to a big contract?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Failed physical. Bears won't sign him. I'm actually glad. I don't understand what the plan is. We let go of a lot of players and now they wanted to sign this DT to a big contract?

More than we paid Hicks no less if I'm understanding it correctly....I guess they had some extra between Hicks and Goldman coming off the books to assign to the spot and this was the guy they had pegged.

Eh well...I guess he's damaged goods...On to the next option.