• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Pre-season thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funchess, Tate, Josh Gordon, Donte Moncrieff, Josh Doctson ............ No to all of these WR

The most likely scenario is a waiver wire find. The Lions could—and likely will—add a receiver who was cut by another team this week.

Just wait until the NFL Draft and free agency. The Lions could be in solid shape in 2022. (I couldn't have stated it better than this).
I would take a shot on Gordon.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a shot on Gordon.

I don't see any reason why it'd be necessary to bring him in. We already know what he brings to the table - outside components that make you more hungry.

He's good for 0-18 practices or 0-6 games before he relapses.

Might as well bring in 3-4 young pup WR to see if they have the chops to make the 53 man roster.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been on a rebuild since Barry left, so might as well complete the tear down because Rod Wood was full of shit that the Lions were merely going through a re-tool

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After re-thinking the Decker situation, I'm 100% on board with @Mebert regarding the hypothetical possibility of trading him. Because it makes complete sense from many avenues.

Why not.

and any other player that can garner quality future draft picks to build this team correctly through the next two drafts.

Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeill, St. Brown and Barnes appear headed in the right direction. Some fans will question the Sewell pick but I won't.

That's a DAMN GOOD START to a "rebuild".

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But head coach Dan Campbell noted on Monday morning that Stenberg’s injury was so minor that he likely could have gone back into the game. Instead, Detroit opted to play it safe with him.

“He had a mild MCL. Just a lower grade sprain,” Campbell said. “So, he could have finished. If we wanted to just keep him out there, we could have done that, but we chose to pull him back out. He’s kind of day-to-day right now, but he should be fine.”

And if there was any doubt about Stenberg’s roster status, Campbell let it slip that the second-year offensive lineman out of Kentucky should return to practice later this week, which almost certainly means he’ll stay on the roster past Tuesday’s 53-man deadline.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But head coach Dan Campbell noted on Monday morning that Stenberg’s injury was so minor that he likely could have gone back into the game. Instead, Detroit opted to play it safe with him.

“He had a mild MCL. Just a lower grade sprain,” Campbell said. “So, he could have finished. If we wanted to just keep him out there, we could have done that, but we chose to pull him back out. He’s kind of day-to-day right now, but he should be fine.”

And if there was any doubt about Stenberg’s roster status, Campbell let it slip that the second-year offensive lineman out of Kentucky should return to practice later this week, which almost certainly means he’ll stay on the roster past Tuesday’s 53-man deadline.
His improvement has been significant, I think he is the long term solution at G. Him and Jackson should make a good tandem

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any reason why it'd be necessary to bring him in. We already know what he brings to the table - outside components that make you more hungry.

He's good for 0-18 practices or 0-6 games before he relapses.

Might as well bring in 3-4 young pup WR to see if they have the chops to make the 53 man roster.
We already have 3 young guys. Cephus, St Brown and McKinley. Unless we are dumping one I would rather have a vet to replace them. Plus Gordon is worth the shot that he cleaned up his act. he must know this is his last chance.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After re-thinking the Decker situation, I'm 100% on board with @Mebert regarding the hypothetical possibility of trading him. Because it makes complete sense from many avenues.

Why not.

and any other player that can garner quality future draft picks to build this team correctly through the next two drafts.

Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeill, St. Brown and Barnes appear headed in the right direction. Some fans will question the Sewell pick but I won't.

That's a DAMN GOOD START to a "rebuild".
I was already luke warm to it. I had already suggested moving Decker to RT as soon as we drafted Sewell. I am thinking maybe later in the year once Sewell has his sea legs under him again then we can make the trade. No sense in getting Goff killed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His improvement has been significant, I think he is the long term solution at G. Him and Jackson should make a good tandem

Kraemer looked pretty damn good this last game at LG. Stenberg and Kraemer both need to clean up some mistakes but Stenberg's play this year is lightyears better than his play from last year.

Both appear, at this time, to be solid, on paper.

I still believe Stenberg looks far more comfortable on that left side. Kraemer too looked better on that left side than the previous weeks play at RG

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already have 3 young guys. Cephus, St Brown and McKinley. Unless we are dumping one I would rather have a vet to replace them. Plus Gordon is worth the shot that he cleaned up his act. he must know this is his last chance.

I get it that having another Vet added to the group can be beneficial, but I cannot see that coming from him. Dude has had 3 mary-jane run-ins and add a DUI when he was already on one suspension at Cleveland. IDK

Having Randle-El is a big boost also as their position coach.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was already luke warm to it. I had already suggested moving Decker to RT as soon as we drafted Sewell. I am thinking maybe later in the year once Sewell has his sea legs under him again then we can make the trade. No sense in getting Goff killed.

If they're entertaining any thoughts of trading Decker, his value is greater now than in a year or two, imo.

I won't mind if he stays or goes, tbh.

No one wants Goff to get injured but there are numerous teams that have started O-Lines that are as deficient as the current Lions group.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be down with Holmes offering Vaitai to anyone who'd listen to trade offers even if it meant eating 2-4M of his 9M base salary.
Let the young pups, Kraemer or Stenberg, earn their stripes. Those two are a part of the future, imo. Start now on that rebuild.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good read

“Sometimes you get big, physical athletes who can’t pick up the playbook, but he can do both,” Decker said on Monday. “He’s a smart guy and he’s a big, physical athlete. He wants to be good. You can tell he wants to be good, and he’s going to be good. He’s going to be a really good player for us.”

As for the struggles, Decker pointed to two things: the fact that the kid hasn’t played in two years and his transition from left tackle to right. While Decker hasn’t gone through a transformation like that since his sophomore year at Ohio State back in 2014 (moving from right tackle to left), he certainly understands the difficulty.

“(It’s) just body mechanics,” Decker said. “I have so many imbalances in my body just from being in a left stance for the last eight, nine years, and your body just gets used to that. Different things with your shoulders, different things with your hip, your back.”

Decker is far from the only NFL offensive lineman trying to stress just how tough of a transition that can be. Several have come out of the woodwork to defend Sewell, explaining just how hard it is to flip your mechanics completely.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^

The above kind of goes hand-in-hand for when those who think it'll be an easy transition for Decker to move from LT to RT - if that even happens while playing for the Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming those final 18 players to be waived/released will come sometime before 4 pm EST tomorrow.

Holes and company must've wanted a final practice to view for those last transactions

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^

The above kind of goes hand-in-hand for when those who think it'll be an easy transition for Decker to move from LT to RT - if that even happens while playing for the Lions.
I get it. I often take being ambidextrous for granted. I realize it can be tough for the majority of people to adjust

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions acquired Denver Broncos receiver Trinity Benson via trade late Monday night, a person familiar with the deal told the Free Press.

In exchange for Benson, the Lions gave up fifth- and seventh-round draft picks in 2022 and acquired a sixth-round pick in 2023, KUSA-TV in Denver reported.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^

Benson, who runs a sub-4.4-second 40-yard dash, signed with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2019 after playing collegiately at East Central University.

He spent the past two seasons on the Broncos' practice squad, where he played both slot and outside receiver and doubled as a return man.

Lions coach Dan Campbell was non-committal Monday on whether the team would keep four or five receivers, but Benson's addition could spell the end of Tom Kennedy's hopes of making the 53-man rsoter.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions waived Reynolds early Tuesday morning as part of their first wave of cuts on roster trim down day.

Linebacker Jahlani Tavai, defensive tackle Bruce Hector and receiver Geronimo Allison are among Tuesday's other reported cuts so far.