• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Pre-season thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starts Friday the thirteenth. Will it be a horror show?

Post your observations and witticisms here for the next month.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly the least excited I have ever been for a season ever. The only thing I'm interested in seeing now is if coach knee biter is the real deal and just an intense coach that's gonna get guys to run through a wall for him. Or if he's a complete circus side show and gonna fist fight some other coach at the 50 yard line for shaking his hand too hard.

I think it's all the way on one side or the other. He's not gonna be just another guy and a mediocre coach. He's either homering or strike out. Strike or gutter ball.

I'd love it if we had a great coach or anything at all to build on and look forward too. But honestly as badly Lionized as I am, I think I might like a good 3 ring circus even more.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will it be a horror show?

hopefully not a horror show.

it may very well take 4-5 reg season games until we start to see consistency from both sides of the ball. ST isn't much of a concern to me.

It appears from reports that players are pumped to play for coaches who've played in the NFL previously.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly the least excited I have ever been for a season ever. The only thing I'm interested in seeing now is if coach knee biter is the real deal and just an intense coach that's gonna get guys to run through a wall for him. Or if he's a complete circus side show and gonna fist fight some other coach at the 50 yard line for shaking his hand too hard.

I think it's all the way on one side or the other. He's not gonna be just another guy and a mediocre coach. He's either homering or strike out. Strike or gutter ball.

I'd love it if we had a great coach or anything at all to build on and look forward too. But honestly as badly Lionized as I am, I think I might like a good 3 ring circus even more.
Jim Shwartz better not get in his way.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couldn't hurt bringing him in and Pleasant is familiar with him when he played for the Rams
Tre Boston is still available also

Robey-Coleman is an eight-year veteran in the NFL and typically plays in the nickel, though he has some versatility Both the Lions’ front office and coaching staff know him well, as Robey-Coleman played for the Los Angeles Rams from 2017 to 2019. That means he was coached by current Lions defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant and signed with the Rams while Lions general manager Brad Holmes and assistant general manager Ray Agnew were both in Los Angeles’ front office.

In his eight years in the NFL, Robey-Coleman has played in 126 games and started 30. His best season came in 2017 with the Rams, when he tallied nine passes defended, two interceptions, 49 tackles and a career-high 80.5 PFF grade. His play slipped last year with the Eagles, however, earning just a PFF grade of 51.1.

The Lions could potentially use some nickel depth right now. While Mike Ford appears to be in line for the starting job, backup Corn Elder left Friday’s practice with a leg injury. At this point, it’s not clear how serious the injury is, but he was not at Saturday’s scrimmage at Ford Field, and Detroit’s interest in Robey-Coleman could be a sign the injury may keep him out awhile.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Perriman continue with his questionable hands leading up to final roster cuts then I cannot fathom him being on the final 53 man roster.
Drops were an issue for him coming out of CFB and continue throughout his pro career.

I'd much rather see a smaller WR corps inclusive of Bolden and Raymond along with Ty Williams, St. Brown and Cephus than to have Perriman in that final group only to see him disrupt drives with a drop or not being able to haul in a contested catch.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Jackson was deemed as best Center in SEC even over Bama's Dickerson

CENTER​

First-Team: Drake Jackson, Kentucky

Jackson was really the only player in the country to challenge Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum as college football’s best all-around center. He and Linderbaum were the only players at the position in the entire FBS to earn an 80.0-plus grade as both a pass- and run-blocker.

Second-Team: Landon Dickerson, Alabama
Third-Team: Trey Hill, Georgia
Honorable Mention: Michael Maietti, Missouri

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Perriman continue with his questionable hands leading up to final roster cuts then I cannot fathom him being on the final 53 man roster.
Drops were an issue for him coming out of CFB and continue throughout his pro career.

I'd much rather see a smaller WR corps inclusive of Bolden and Raymond along with Ty Williams, St. Brown and Cephus than to have Perriman in that final group only to see him disrupt drives with a drop or not being able to haul in a contested catch.

It's a shame Surrat and McKinley both have not shown up. I was sure one of those would be a diamond in the rough. I have heard nothing but superlatives about St. Brown though. Cephus seems like he may stick around for a while too.

It is sounding like Tavai is done for, he lost all that weight and is still too slow? That sounds like it is it. I am glad to hear that Lions finally have a LB that can drop into coverage. I hope Hamilton gets a ton of snaps. I would rather he get the opportunity to grow other parts of his game than continue to have all LB's that cant cover shit.

Love that a young kid is taking the slot spot for Elder. Anytime the battle is because the lower-ranked is elevating his play, not the higher is dropping is awesome.

I am so tired of hearing about how good Strong is in camp, it never translates.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame Surrat and McKinley both have not shown up. I was sure one of those would be a diamond in the rough.

It's still early on in camp.
Surrat sat out last season so it's possible that has a little something to do with his lack of performance.
Last years covid could have quite an effect on many of these incoming players needing more time to develop and get their mojo back all while learning to play at a higher more complicated level.

idk

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sounding like Tavai is done for, he lost all that weight and is still too slow? That sounds like it is it.

this was pretty much a given at his 1st camp with the old regime in charge

no great lost here except that it cost the Lions another wasted 2nd round pick which was pretty much par for the course outside of Slay going back Mayhew's time

hopefully Holmes changes that 2nd round bust curse

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad to hear that Lions finally have a LB that can drop into coverage. I hope Hamilton gets a ton of snaps. I would rather he get the opportunity to grow other parts of his game than continue to have all LB's that cant cover shit.

let's hope his play continues to elevate when the real games begin and not just a flash in the pan from camp

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so tired of hearing about how good Strong is in camp, it never translates.

almost similar to the Jace Billingsley hype we read for a couple of years.

I was hopeful for the kid to shine when they picked him up 2 years ago and maybe scheme, coaching change helps but I'm not counting on it. He'll get his opportunity to prove if he's a viable rotational player. One thing he was decent at was holding containment against the run - pass rush not so much but once again that was under Patricia's scheme and now might be different.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually you don't read too much praise from rookies and not just from BQ/MP regime either as Caldwell was pretty quiet on his rookies too but McNeill is different

“He’s better than I thought when we drafted him, to be honest,” Lions defensive line coach Todd Wash said of McNeill. “I think we would all say that. We knew he was a heck of a run defender. He’s stout at the point but he’s a lot better athlete than he showed on tape, which for us was unbelievable. He’s not just an A-gap to A-gap player, so if he can continue to get better—we got to keep a thumb on him—I think he can be an exceptional nose guard in this league in time.”

A projected starter at the nose from the moment he was drafted, McNeill’s ability to two-gap and penetrate gives him a rare base of skills, but how quickly he has been able to develop those traits has also impressed.

“His athletic ability,” Wash continued. “His ability to stay square, play lateral to the line of scrimmage. You know, bigger guys, sometimes these zone schemes give them issues. But Alim, that’s not an issue. He’s got great lateral movement.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

Ragnow appears to be schooling the youngster to improve his technique and performance which could be a huge boost

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from reading the tea leaves regarding comments coming from Campbell about the TE 3, I believe they'll be looking for player once camp cuts start coming around.

There's wasn't much to glean from in a positive manner with those currently contending for TE 3.

So to recap: Mack has good separation, but needs a lot of work on special teams. Wright is smart and taking in a lot. Taumoepeau is the furthest away, but he’s both a good athlete and has the gritty mentality Campbell is seeking. It sounds like Taumoepeau might be the closest match to what the Lions are looking for, but he’s incredibly raw at this point due to little experience.

Keen readers may notice that Campbell didn’t say anything about Hunter Thedford. That was likely an oversight, but it can’t be good for the 6-foot-6 tight end

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Austin Bryant is back and looking good. Not too much other good news though other than maybe Alex Anzalone.. They have released the initial Depth chart.

1628629205751.png

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Austin Bryant is back and looking good.

I'll go all PFF - the bad scores - on you - as it was against alize mack and dan skipper for 2 of his three sacks

Bryant picked up three sacks during team drills, two of them on back-to-back plays.

On the first, he simply beat Dan Skipper to the edge. The next play, the Lions tried to put a tight end in front of him (Alize Mack). Bryant easily disposed of him and came crashing down on the quarterback again.

Outside linebackers coach Kelvin Sheppard was impressed with big plays here and there, but he still looking for consistency from Bryant.

“He’s catching my eye as well. Just with him, like I said, you can flash, but this isn’t a flash business,” Sheppard said. “You better have a level of consistency that’s continuing to ascend, ascend, ascend as the year goes on.”

Though he did say that level of consistency is starting to come with Bryant.