• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Pre-season Sox activities

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of the numbers game - that I can see at this point - Getz held out for his price and got it. Now - can the Sox successfully scout prospects, and can the Sox develop them? We will find out.

The Padres must not personally like Steve Wilson - sending him from a contender to the form of baseball hell known as White Sox baseball. It is nice - though - Getz gets a guy who helps out in the bullpen and one could possibly be flipped at the next trade deadline for more prospects.

The Sox have a very large number of young pitchers - at the AA - and AAA levels waiting to get a rotation call up: Thrope, Eder, Cannon, Iriarte - Horn - Lambert - Davis Martin - Jared Shuster - Crochet - Ky Bush - Nastrini - Grant Taylor - Payton Pallette - Seth Kenner - Mason Adams - Tanner McDougal - Jaun Carela and Sean Burke.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox have a very large number of young pitchers - at the AA - and AAA levels waiting to get a rotation call up: Thrope, Eder, Cannon, Iriarte - Horn - Lambert - Davis Martin - Jared Shuster - Crochet - Ky Bush - Nastrini - Grant Taylor - Payton Pallette - Seth Kenner - Mason Adams - Tanner McDougal - Jaun Carela and Sean Burke.
The competition for one or more of the rotation spots is going to be fierce in the coming years. Same with the BP.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to CBS Sports, the Padres get an A for the trade, we get a B:

It's always tough to say a team that trades a desired veteran, especially a pitcher, in return for prospects can "win" the analysis. But at least it backs up a concern I expressed earlier this preseason regarding if the Sox should have waited until the trade deadline to bust their move:

... holding onto Cease until the deadline never made sense for the White Sox. The downside risk was too great. Cease might've gotten injured, or had another down year. With the way that teams overvalue team control nowadays, it would've been actively harmful to the potential return to hold onto him -- especially considering that the White Sox have no real competitive aspirations this year.

Too many ifs in my book to have waited, so I'm glad they struck when they did.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to CBS Sports, the Padres get an A for the trade, we get a B:

It's always tough to say a team that trades a desired veteran, especially a pitcher, in return for prospects can "win" the analysis. But at least it backs up a concern I expressed earlier this preseason regarding if the Sox should have waited until the trade deadline to bust their move:

... holding onto Cease until the deadline never made sense for the White Sox. The downside risk was too great. Cease might've gotten injured, or had another down year. With the way that teams overvalue team control nowadays, it would've been actively harmful to the potential return to hold onto him -- especially considering that the White Sox have no real competitive aspirations this year.

Too many ifs in my book to have waited, so I'm glad they struck when they did.
deadline schmedline ... what you left off your quote is that you ended with " I'm hoping he gets it done before camp opens", which would have been a stupid idea. the fact is it was smart waiting until he was at least midway thru spring training. you wanted him gone before the sox had any leverage! if you're going to puff yourself up with your past quotes at least have the courage to post the whole quote.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The competition for one or more of the rotation spots is going to be fierce in the coming years. Same with the BP.
That is one of the larger differences between Getz and the Williams/Hahn regime - Getz isn't counting on anyone of his players to hit - he is counting on some of them emerging as MLB players.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we traded Cease for prospects.

*quick maths*

Traded Sale in 2016...Mild hope in 2020....

Dynasty starts in 2028 boys!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suggest we change the name of this team to the chicago prospectors.

Speaking of the Sale trade...Looks like Kopech is going to be in the bullpen this year...

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Sale trade...Looks like Kopech is going to be in the bullpen this year...
kopech and jimenez ... two guys i had really high hopes for. two guys i now hope they find a way to move because neither is right in the head.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the three prospects in the Cease trade naturally fit right into our top 10.

Drew Thorpe, 23, RHP, #3
Samuel Savala, 19, OF, #6
Jairo Iriarte, 22, RHP, #9

Maybe Thorpe could see some big league action this year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the three prospects in the Cease trade naturally fit right into our top 10.

Drew Thorpe, 23, RHP, #3
Samuel Savala, 19, OF, #6
Jairo Iriarte, 22, RHP, #9

Maybe Thorpe could see some big league action this year.
We will see Nastrini Cannon and Thorpe for sure, Last year the Sox had 16 guys start a game - we may also see Shuster - Mason Adams - Bailley Horn, Peyton Pallette and Sean Burke.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see Nastrini Cannon and Thorpe for sure, Last year the Sox had 16 guys start a game - we may also see Shuster - Mason Adams - Bailley Horn, Peyton Pallette and Sean Burke.
Yeah no doubt, this is gonna be one wackadoodle year for the Southside.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox winning their past 3 games by a combined score of 34-6.

*ponders for a moment*

Nope...We still gonna suck.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox winning their past 3 games by a combined score of 34-6.

*ponders for a moment*

Nope...We still gonna suck.
You set the criteria for us to make a judgment - now you're running from it.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You set the criteria for us to make a judgment - now you're running from it.

I mean...You're right...but I'm not changing my mind until I see on-field results.

So I accept my hypocrisy and will wear it with shame along with my "My baseball team won 62 games in 2024" hat.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...You're right...but I'm not changing my mind until I see on-field results.

So I accept my hypocrisy and will wear it with shame along with my "My baseball team won 62 games in 2024" hat.
It's all good my friend. This team will tower to at least 65 wins.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good my friend. This team will tower to at least 65 wins.
I've already said I'm considering it a winning season if we can keep from losing 100 games. So 63 dubs is my target. Of course now that Cease has been ceased, the target will become ever more elusive.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already said I'm considering it a winning season if we can keep from losing 100 games. So 63 dubs is my target. Of course, now that Cease has been ceased, the target will become ever more elusive.
I think these White Sox - out perform expectations for Ws this season. IMO - these Sox will pitch better than anyone expects - the trouble will be scoring 4 runs a game.

I am impressed - considering what I saw last year - that in the pre-season I have been able to watch - the Sox have played pretty good baseball - moving runners over, getting runs in with the SF - advancing runners on the bases and fielding has been much improved.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these White Sox - out perform expectations for Ws this season. IMO - these Sox will pitch better than anyone expects - the trouble will be scoring 4 runs a game.

I am impressed - considering what I saw last year - that in the pre-season I have been able to watch - the Sox have played pretty good baseball - moving runners over, getting runs in with the SF - advancing runners on the bases and fielding has been much improved.
well duh! since no one expects much of anything this is probably true.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If all we get out of this season is a truly improved defense, I'll also consider that a win. I've gotten so tired of seeing the Sox year after year after year having bottom of the barrel D. Sure I want them to hit as well, but there at least have been a number of seasons where our offense has been worthy of playoff contention. I'm sure the pitching staff will appreciate it as well.