• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and the NFL Draft

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several teams have reportedly inquired about Sony Michele. If a team is willing to give up a first or second for a known quantity, the Patriots will move him. Don't be surprised if Michele is somewhere else come Saturday night.
Michele is often viewed as a bust, but most who do conveniently forget the team road him to the 2018 Championship. Most of his impact that year was in the playoffs but he absolutely crushed it during those playoffs. Without him they do not win the championship. That value he returned for that alone may not justify his selection, but it does remove the bust status and really downgrades the discussion to the fact that Chubb provides better long-term value.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears that the Patriots will exercise Isiah Wynn's fifth yer option and keep him at tackle. Whether it's left or right, no one is sure with Trent Brown sdet to play at the other side. BB just might be looking at an OT at #15.

Haven't heard much about J.C. Jackson after he signed the 2nd Round tender. Reports outside of Boston are that he's pissed about two things. The first is that BB put a second round tender on him and teams told him that they were not going to give up a second round pick and give him a 5 year $85M contract. Don't be surprised if JC gets traded during the second day of the draft this week for a 2nd round pick. That will give his team a year with him on his rookie contract and allow them to negotiate beased on his performance.

Stephon Gilmore is upset about only making7.5M this year and wants a bump. He would be making $14.5 if he hadn't asked the Patriots to rewrite his final two years last year and taken $7M from this year and put it on last year as a bonus. He's not losing any money, he just wants more.No one has any idea what's been offered or if anything has been but Gilmore's agent has met with the Patriots twice. It's believed that Gilmore wants a a final 5 year $90M ($18M per) with $60M guaranteed. Don't be surprised to see Gilmore traded during the draft. Most likely on day 2 for a second and third round picks.

Several teams have reportedly inquired about Sony Michele. If a team is willing to give up a first or second for a known quantity, the Patriots will move him. Don't be surprised if Michele is somewhere else come Saturday night.

More interesting........................all of these trades could be 2022 draft picks and not 2021.

So the Pats are going to trade away their top two corners? I can see one but not two. That's my opinion anyway.

I also don't see them trading Michele because I don't think teams will give up what Bill wants for him.

That said, the fucking draft can't get here fast enough. Good god I'm dying for some football.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Pats are going to trade away their top two corners? I can see one but not two. That's my opinion anyway.

I also don't see them trading Michele because I don't think teams will give up what Bill wants for him.

That said, the fucking draft can't get here fast enough. Good god I'm dying for some football.
BB doesn't keep around pains in the ass. Gilmore is gone next year and so is Jackson. Trade them and get something of value. Bring back Jason McCourty. He can't find another team and has contacted the Patriots. I would guess that Bill has told him to wait until next week.

You don't think BB signed Michael Jackson Sr., Jalen Mills and Miles Bryant for nothing do you?

There are still free agents who haven't found a home yet

Prince Amukamara Raiders 31
Mackensie Alexander Vikings 26
Trumaine Johnson Jets 30
Javien Elliot Panthers 27
Daryl Worley Raiders 25
Morris Claiborne, CB, Chiefs. Age: 30
Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Colts. Age: 27
Akeem King, CB, Seahawks. Age: 28

And if you like antiques, there's Aquib Talib 34, who hasn't officially retired.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not buying all of @BigKen assesment nor siding with you on trade / tradeability.
I do think it possible that we lose both JC and Gilmore. We are eyeing some good CB's in the draft and not likely willing to give these guys the money they are looking for. They have contracts! Consider BB's history on long term contracts for DB's. Most of the time we do not keep them!
Aside from Devin McCourtney, who's second contract have we kept?
Malcolm Butler?
JeRod Cherry?
Randall Gay?
Atwan Harris?
Ellis Hobbs?
Maurice Hurst?
Tebucky Jones?
Brandon Meriweather?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see Bill trading either of the two corners, but no, not both.
Michel is a good RB in a very deep squad. I would prefer he get traded for a decent pick so we can upgrade a position of need.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying all of @BigKen assesment nor siding with you on trade / tradeability.
I do think it possible that we lose both JC and Gilmore. We are eyeing some good CB's in the draft and not likely willing to give these guys the money they are looking for. They have contracts! Consider BB's history on long term contracts for DB's. Most of the time we do not keep them!
Aside from Devin McCourtney, who's second contract have we kept?
Malcolm Butler?
JeRod Cherry?
Randall Gay?
Atwan Harris?
Ellis Hobbs?
Maurice Hurst?
Tebucky Jones?
Brandon Meriweather?
Did you really want to retain any of these players anyway?

I haven't heard anything about JC being upset? Doesn't make sense considering no one was offering a 2nd for him? What can he and his agent really think he's worth at this point? This is a prove year for him. If he's able to repeat last years performance he'll get his pay day.

I'm ready to be done with Gilmore. Get what you can for him BB.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah there is no way BB trades both corners. A lot of that post is speculation.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill doesn't like to have players on the roster that he knows will not be there the following year. Historically he's moved on before getting forced into a situation by any player. Both Gilmore and Jackson's contracts are up necxt year. If the Patriots can't get them under some kind of agreement by Thursday, they will be trade bait. Gilmore could garner a third round compensatory, but Jackson might be a fourth of fifth a best. I all depends on the next contract. They're both more valuable to another team for a draft pick(s) this year rather than chancing on a rookie.

two names that have reportedly met with the Patriots physically and virtually several times: LB Isaiah McDuffie BC and Grant Stuard Houston that could be taken in the late rounds.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill doesn't like to have players on the roster that he knows will not be there the following year. Historically he's moved on before getting forced into a situation by any player. Both Gilmore and Jackson's contracts are up necxt year. If the Patriots can't get them under some kind of agreement by Thursday, they will be trade bait. Gilmore could garner a third round compensatory, but Jackson might be a fourth of fifth a best. I all depends on the next contract. They're both more valuable to another team for a draft pick(s) this year rather than chancing on a rookie.

two names that have reportedly met with the Patriots physically and virtually several times: LB Isaiah McDuffie BC and Grant Stuard Houston that could be taken in the late rounds.
That may be true to a degree but I still cannot see BB letting go two starting CB in one year. Could it happen? Sure! Do I think it will? No! Does this situation mandate the Pats need to draft a CB? Probably but i feel they need a S too.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has also signed players to extensions after tagging them.
Every situation and every individual is different.
But I do not see Bill letting his #1 and #2 CB go.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true to a degree but I still cannot see BB letting go two starting CB in one year. Could it happen? Sure! Do I think it will? No! Does this situation mandate the Pats need to draft a CB? Probably but i feel they need a S too.
I think this is a good assessment.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're both more valuable to another team for a draft pick(s) this year rather than chancing on a rookie.
But there's not one way to determine value. Do you think each would be cheaper than a rookie? Will they play better than a rookie? Does a team have cap space for a high salary? Do they have offsetting strengths to compensate using rookies?

Value is a flexible word.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will but BB let Brady walk away. Then TB goes to the best possible situation and wins a ring his first year as a non-Patriot. It might make Bill try just a little harder to keep a quality player but Gilmore wants a huge contract that will take him until he's 35. His performance dropped off a bit in 2020 Bill has to be asking himself if that was an aberration or the beginning of the natural downturn that most players hit at 30 years old in the NFL. Gilmore supposedly has asked for a 5 year $95M contract that comes in at an average of $19M per. J.C. is looking for A $15M a year payday over five years with a guarantee. No way that Bill is going to pay that kind of money after refusing to pay Brady $25M.

The Patriots, as we speak have used up 96% of their salary cap. The Draft picks that they have has a cap cost of $10.5M which leaves them $5.4M.

Gilmore got a $5M restructure bump nd a $3.5M signing bonus last year to pump his salary. The patriots are taking a $17M cap hit in 2021 and Gilmore's restructure, that he asked for ius giving him a flat $7M salary in 2021. JC is making $3.3M this tyear. While they are only being paid $10.3M, the cap hit is $20M and Bill doesn't have any cash to bump them in 2021. So, unless BB cuts any of the top 51 paid guys, the cap is staying where it is.

Bill's free agent spending spree has put him where he normally is at this time of year. So he can't do much to make either of them happy right now.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will but BB let Brady walk away. ******** ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* .

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* *******

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* *******

Bill's free agent spending spree has put him where he normally is at this time of year. So he can't do much to make either of them happy right now.
FIFY, The minor revisions just edited some irrelevant stuff.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will but BB let Brady walk away. Then TB goes to the best possible situation and wins a ring his first year as a non-Patriot. It might make Bill try just a little harder to keep a quality player but Gilmore wants a huge contract that will take him until he's 35. His performance dropped off a bit in 2020 Bill has to be asking himself if that was an aberration or the beginning of the natural downturn that most players hit at 30 years old in the NFL. Gilmore supposedly has asked for a 5 year $95M contract that comes in at an average of $19M per. J.C. is looking for A $15M a year payday over five years with a guarantee. No way that Bill is going to pay that kind of money after refusing to pay Brady $25M.

The Patriots, as we speak have used up 96% of their salary cap. The Draft picks that they have has a cap cost of $10.5M which leaves them $5.4M.

Gilmore got a $5M restructure bump nd a $3.5M signing bonus last year to pump his salary. The patriots are taking a $17M cap hit in 2021 and Gilmore's restructure, that he asked for ius giving him a flat $7M salary in 2021. JC is making $3.3M this tyear. While they are only being paid $10.3M, the cap hit is $20M and Bill doesn't have any cash to bump them in 2021. So, unless BB cuts any of the top 51 paid guys, the cap is staying where it is.

BB didn't let Brady walk away. TB12 wanted the change and could not sustain another rebuild it was more on TB than BB.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB didn't let Brady walk away. TB12 wanted the change and could not sustain another rebuild it was more on TB than BB.

That's how I see it too but every article I see about the Patriots has a comments section overrun with people accusing BB of chasing Brady out of town. I just don't see it that way. Brady was a free agent and decided he didn't want to be part of another rebuild and went to a quality team on both sides of the ball.

I stand by my belief that the Pats would not have made the playoff's last season with Brady at QB and Brady knew it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gilmore had a downturn and is coming off a erious injury.
I'm not giving a 30+ Db a $95 million contract if he is healthy!
JC Jackson is a young stud. Rather keep him.
He is a 1-year wonder. Let him play his 1st bump and let's see him earn it. You can always extend him if he is great.
let the chips fall where they may otherwise!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I see it too but every article I see about the Patriots has a comments section overrun with people accusing BB of chasing Brady out of town. I just don't see it that way. Brady was a free agent and decided he didn't want to be part of another rebuild and went to a quality team on both sides of the ball.

I stand by my belief that the Pats would not have made the playoff's last season with Brady at QB and Brady knew it.
Brady is at the end of his career - no time for a rebuild and doesn't want rookies and shit receivers wrecking his stats.
We might have made the playoffs last year with Brady. Something in line with or almost like 2019.
No way the 2020 team was sniffing the SB.....