• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 MLB Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was time to start a new thread since Spring Training began.

Humphreys lasted longer on the Indians' 40 man roster than I expected, but that came to an end today.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From mlb.com:
A source told MLB.com that the Marlins agreed to terms with lefty reliever Steven Okert on a Minor League deal, with no Spring Training invitation. The 29-year-old, who last pitched in the Majors in 2018 with the Giants, is considered a depth piece. He has a 4.28 career ERA in 70 big league outings.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From mlb.com:
A source told MLB.com that the Marlins agreed to terms with lefty reliever Steven Okert on a Minor League deal, with no Spring Training invitation. The 29-year-old, who last pitched in the Majors in 2018 with the Giants, is considered a depth piece. He has a 4.28 career ERA in 70 big league outings.
Wow. He has fallen all the way down to “depth” status.

too bad he was a decent prospect. But, I guess, he is further proof of TINSTAAPP...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TANSTAAFL .

A shame. I thought he was an OK relief pitcher, and never really given much of a chance. If "depth" means "stock him in AAA in case one of our guys in the pen gets injured and call him up first or second" (that how *I* would use it) then that's just fine. If it means "pile up pitching in the minors and then throw then against the wall like spaghetti to see how will stick" (which appears to be the Giants' definition) then that just sucks.

And IIRC, he wasn't really a LOOGY - equally good (or bad, depending on the outing) against righties and lefties. Seems like that would be more valuable now that pitchers have to face at least 3 batters now. Hope he gets a chance.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. He has fallen all the way down to “depth” status.

too bad he was a decent prospect. But, I guess, he is further proof of TINSTAAPP...

TANSTAAFL .

A shame. I thought he was an OK relief pitcher, and never really given much of a chance. If "depth" means "stock him in AAA in case one of our guys in the pen gets injured and call him up first or second" (that how *I* would use it) then that's just fine. If it means "pile up pitching in the minors and then throw then against the wall like spaghetti to see how will stick" (which appears to be the Giants' definition) then that just sucks.

And IIRC, he wasn't really a LOOGY - equally good (or bad, depending on the outing) against righties and lefties. Seems like that would be more valuable now that pitchers have to face at least 3 batters now. Hope he gets a chance.
Considering the Marlins aren't even bringing him to big league camp, he's hardly going to be the 1st or 2nd guy up in case of injury. He's more of a 8th or 9th guy up, if he doesn't get released (or opt out, if he was able to get that in his contract) by then.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francisco Liriano got released by the Blue Jays.
Tony Watson signed a 1 year deal with the Angels.
Heath Hembree got reassigned by the Reds.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall a "discussion" ( series of posts) on Watson and why the Giants weren't pursuing him, but now I can't find it. I think I replied that it must be because of his salary demands, or what WATSON did/wanted and not necessarily the Giants. I also recall (maybe not the same thread) that there was talk of "what is wrong with him, he must have an issue, physical or mental, because he just got released" (but there's a 50/50 chance that was a different pitcher, actually). So ...

-Watson had signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. It would have paid $3M if he made the majors.
-Watson opted out of that deal (must have been in the contract).
-Watson just signed a $1M deal with the Angels (as reported above).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall a "discussion" ( series of posts) on Watson and why the Giants weren't pursuing him, but now I can't find it. I think I replied that it must be because of his salary demands, or what WATSON did/wanted and not necessarily the Giants. I also recall (maybe not the same thread) that there was talk of "what is wrong with him, he must have an issue, physical or mental, because he just got released" (but there's a 50/50 chance that was a different pitcher, actually). So ...

-Watson had signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. It would have paid $3M if he made the majors.
-Watson opted out of that deal (must have been in the contract).
-Watson just signed a $1M deal with the Angels (as reported above).
I think the main conversation about him starts here - 2021 roster

Another one here - Current Roster

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew Black’s shelf life was super short. He is a graduate of the Jimmy Garoppolo school of durability.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew Black’s shelf life was super short. He is a graduate of the Jimmy Garoppolo school of durability.
I expected at least a full season (or equivalent) in the big leagues. He's pitched in a total of 46 games at the big league level the past 3 years. Yeah, about right.