• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Quarter Review of the Dbacks' 14/15 Offseason Transactions

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we are a quarter of a way through the season, I think it's time to see how players we traded for are doing. I'll break it down into 4 categories: prospects acquired, prospects traded, waived/traded for cash, & international signings.

Acquired Prospects

SS Didi Gregorius traded for 2B Domingo Leyba & LHP Robbie Ray.

LHP Robbie Ray - The 23 year old started the season in Reno. He had pitched well enough in a hitter's league to warrant an emergency start for Dbacks. In his lone start, he pitched 6 innings of 5 hit ball while striking out 5 & surrendering only a single run. He showed great life on his FB & the ability to harness his control. Control has been his big issue in the past. He is back in Reno continuing to pitch well while polishing up his control.

2B Domingo Leyba - The young 19 year old started the season in Visalia. So far early in the season, he has struggled with the bat. Batting a mere .217 with 16 SO to just 6 BB. But once he has gotten on base, he has shown his ability to steal bases to the tune of 6 SB in 8 attempts. Too early draw any conclusions of this prospects future.

SS Didi Gregorius - Did has struggled mightily in NYY. At the plate, he has regressed beyond his awful 2014 season in a Dbacks uniform. Hitting a triple slash line of .217/.278/.278(That's not a typo) with a 3/1 SO/BB ratio. Ouch!

Evaluation - At this point it looks like we are going to come out ahead. Didi, just can't hit & Ray looks like a valuable arm who has a place on the team in the future, whether that's in the rotation or the BP. Leyba is a lottery ticket. It will be 3+ years before we cash that ticket & discover what we won.

SP Wade Miley traded for RHP Rubby De La Rosa, RHP Allen Webster, & Raymel Flores.

RHP Rubby De La Rosa - The center piece of the trade. The 26 year old has been the 2nd best SP in the rotation this season. He has show a ++FB & an improved Change-up along with an improved slider slider. He has improved across the board since his time in s Redsox uniform. Limiting the walks while harnessing his control. At this point, if continues improving, he looks like a solid #3 SP or a low-end #2 SP.

RHP Allen Webster - Control issues. The same thing has plagued the 25 year old through out his career, plagued him all through spring. And thus, he began the season in Reno. He got blown through 2 games in Reno to the tune of a 19.29 ERA in just 7 innings. He landed on the DL with a shoulder injury after his second start & has been there ever since. Don't know if the injury is wad the cause of his struggles.

SS Raymel Flores - The young 20 year old has yet to be assigned to an affiliate. He has been in extended spring training camp & likely will be assigned to short season Hillsboro Hops.

Wade Miley - He struggled mightily in April. In May, he has pitched well in 4 straight starts. Not lights out, but well enough to get wins & lower his ERA. Right now he is 3-4 with an 5.10 & a 1.44 WHIP.

Evaluation - If we just compare the RDLR to Miley, it looks like we came ahead in this trade. While RDLR is trending up with a lot of potential, Miley has looked like the mid to back of the rotation arm most scouts thought he was. Factoring in the money, Rubby isn't arbitration eligible until after the 2016 season & Miley just cost the Redsox 3yr/$19 mil, makes it look even better for us. If either Webster or Flores turn into anything remotely serviceable, I think we end up coming out way ahead.

C Miguel Montero traded for RHP Jeferson Mejia & RHP Zack Godley

RHP Jeferson Mejia - The tall hard throwing 20 year old has struggled with command at Kane County. A 6.16 ERA with a 16/26 SO/BB ratio. If he can't harness his command in the next few years, he is likely destined to be a BP arm at best. There is still plenty of time for him to figure it out.

RHP Zack Godley - Thought of as a throw-in as part of the trade, the 25 year old has pitched surprisingly well in Visalia. Although it looks like the bats have started to catch up to him in recent starts, he still boasts a 2.21 ERA with 51/15 SO/BB ration & 1.16 WHIP. He is old for the league & likely will be moved on the Mobile soon. We will see if it was just a matter of outgrowing the league or if he really has improved once he is moved up.

C Miguel Montero - So far, he is having a resurgent year. A triple slash line of .280/.400/.452 4 HRs. His only downside is that his defense has regressed. He is struggling to throw out base runners with 16% CS ratio.

Evaluation - This was basically just a salary dump with the hopes of hitting the lottery with Mejia. Right now the Cubs come out ahead in this deal. And if Mejia doesn't improve, this will look even worse for us. I would guess that with Miggy on our team, we likely have 2-3 more wins right now.

RHP Trevor Cahill traded for OF Josh Elander & OF Victor Reyes.

OF Josh Elander - Has only played in 14 games for Kane County. He has struggles with a triple slash line of .244/.382/.289. No power whatsoever. An older prospect for the league, he hasn't shown much. He was released yesterday.

OF Victor Reyes - The 20 year old has been a pleasant surprise. Batting .325/.333/.395 with 4 SB. A definite improvement over has sophomore season in the Braves's farm. A good 3 years away from pushin for a spot on the 25-man roster.

RHP Trevor Cahill - As terrible as ever. Even more so than when he was with the Dbacks. Click the link to see his stats from shitting all over the mound.

Evaluation - We win this trade by default. Addition by subtraction. We save about $5.5 mil in the deal. With Elander being released & Reyes basically traded for the comp pick, we got nothing in return for Cahill. Who cares, we were freed of the monster known as Cahill.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traded Prospects

Prospects SS Andrew Valazquez & OF Justin Williams traded for SP Jeremy Hellickson.

SS Andrew VelazquezThe 20 year old for 7th round pick has has hit 279/.338/.324 for the Rays with their A+ team. That's below his minor league career average. Interesting enough, what he is known for is his speed, having stolen 50 bases in 2014, has 0 so far this season. Still viewed as a marginal prospect & has done nothing to change that.

OF Justin Williams – Just 19 years old, the former 2013 2nd round pick has struggled so far this season in A ball for the Rays. Hitting .254/.283/.369 with an eye popping 35/5 SO/BB ratio. He is still young, so there is plenty of time for him to turn it around.

Jeremy Hellickson He has struggle for most of the season. He nibbles too much & constantly falls behind batters. He rarely makes it through 6 innings. His FB tops out at 90-91 which isn't fast enough to compensate for falling behind in the count. The only good news is that he had his beast outing of the season in his last start. If he can throw strikes & stay ahead in the count, he can be a serviceable back of the rotation SP.

Evaluation – Similar to how our team viewed our trades for prospects, you gotta think the Rays were looking for lottery tickets here. So far Hellickson has been a disappointment. At this point, I am going to give this a wash. None of the assets in the trade have done much.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For now, I am going to skip the other 2 parts, waivers & international signings. Unless you guys want me to list those as well.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you were too generous with the evaluation of the Miggy trade. I think you look at the bigger picture by mentioning the salary dump, but not what "Plan B" the D-backs had in place for Catcher. Losing Miggy is a HUGE loss. He was a leader in the clubhouse and often a really good player. Trading him looks better when you have someone else ready to take the reigns...he doesn't have to be as good, but should be close with a rosy future.

We have Tuffy. He's horrible.

So I'd give them a big fat F on this one.

I do agree with you on everything else :) Nice post.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably reassess trades again around the trade deadline & at the end of the season.

What I didn't mention was losing both of these guys for nothing:

RHP Will Harris - Waived
RHP Mike Bolsinger - Cash

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bolsinger has done well for the dodgers. Where was that last year?!?!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely look dumb ditching Bolsinger now, but I'd wait until the end of the season. Still time to show his true colors.