• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really? This is a signing that doesn’t even deserve a news blot announcement, and it gets a response of “if this all he does, I will be mad”?

:L

And the LDS’s haven’t even started yet.
Uh, actually, the LDSs have all been completed . . . but . . . carry on.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memo to FZ: depth and versatility are important, sure. But what we really need are guys who can HIT!

We also need to look at younger guys, not guys in their late 20's.

In FZ we trust, right?

If this is ALL FZ does, then I'll be mad. But I don't really mind things like this. No real downside. At one point he was a pretty solid prospect with power potential. Maybe they can unlock it.

edit: upon some research, he supposedly a great athlete just too many swing-and-miss issues. Plays all over the diamond. Sounds like a FZ special.
This move doesn't look all that different than what Sabean and Evans would do every offseason - pick up a bunch of middle infielders in minor league moves. The only difference that shows FZ did it is that this guy plays even more positions than a normal minor league infielder.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that Gerrit Cole may be interested in playing in SF, mainly due to his brother-in-law being on the team. However, I don't know if that is a serious interest or a mild intrigue simply due to family. Do you all think he's worth the money he's going to get this offseason?

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that Gerrit Cole may be interested in playing in SF, mainly due to his brother-in-law being on the team. However, I don't know if that is a serious interest or a mild intrigue simply due to family. Do you all think he's worth the money he's going to get this offseason?
That “rumor” has been around for at least a few months now. I have no idea if there is an6 validity to it or just talking heads talking.

I would prefer to over-pay for Bum than to over-pay for Cole. If we get either, though, we should get an equal discount to the penalty we have to pay for hitters. But I doubt that happens.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really? This is a signing that doesn’t even deserve a news blot announcement, and it gets a response of “if this all he does, I will be mad”?

:L

And the LDS’s haven’t even started yet.

I didn't mean to insinuate if this particular move is all he does, then I'll be mad. I mean if this type of move is all he does all off season. I obviously know there will be many more moves.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That “rumor” has been around for at least a few months now. I have no idea if there is an6 validity to it or just talking heads talking.

I would prefer to over-pay for Bum than to over-pay for Cole. If we get either, though, we should get an equal discount to the penalty we have to pay for hitters. But I doubt that happens.

Cole is a Boras client, and Boran isn't an idiot. He knows who is brother-in-law is and is likely behind all of these 'rumors.' Boras has long used the Giants as leverage.

I'd rather have Cole than Bum, IMO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cole is a Boras client, and Boran isn't an idiot. He knows who is brother-in-law is and is likely behind all of these 'rumors.' Boras has long used the Giants as leverage.

I'd rather have Cole than Bum, IMO.
Didn't realize that Cole is represented by Boras. That says a lot about those rumors.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too many tough decisions for the rule 5 this year. Among the upper level guys, no one really stands out. Keep in mind, teams have to commit a roster spot the entire year to these guys, so to do that, they have to have a pretty good reason. They're not going to keep a guy around if he's going to be a career 4th OFer.

Garrett Williams
Ryan Howard
Heath Quinn
Jacob Heyward
Jalen Miller

Nothing there too inspiring. I think all these guys could make the majors in some capacity, but no real impact players here, or guys that have an elite carrying tool worth stashing for a year to keep. There's a couple guys in the lower minors that I honestly think stand more of a risk of getting picked, but the chances are still very low IMO.

Diego Rincones
Jose Marte

Rincones in still extremely young, but he's a great hitter (from the Pablo Sandoval school of hitting). He hasn't made it above A-ball yet, creeping up the ladder. Giants had a similar prospect in Miguel Gomez recently, who did not pan out. All bat, no glove.

Marte's numbers aren't inspiring at all, but he has a great fastball and changeup. Sometimes you see teams swipe these types up and hide them in the back end of the bullpen.

I think this year the Giants will be on the lookout for OTHER team's tough rule 5 decisions. The Rays and Yankees are two teams in particular to keep an eye on.
Here's the list I have on Rule 5 eligible guys in the farm (names in bold are most likely to be added, in my opinion):
Pitchers - Abel Adames, Justin Alleman, Luis Amaya, Caleb Baragar, Deiyerbert Bolivar, Greg Brody, Sandro Cabrera, Israel Cruz, Tyler Cyr, Dylan Davis, Camilo Doval, David Graybill, Norwith Gudino, Ryan Halstead, Jasier Herrera, Jorge Labrador, Brandon Lawson, Mac Marshall, Jose Marte, Rodolfo Martinez, DJ Myers, Adam Oller, Jesus Reyes, Nolan Riggs, Patrick Ruotolo, Gregory Santos, Heath Slatton, Caleb Smith, John Timmins, Jesus Tona, Garrett Williams
Catchers - Andres Angulo, Bryan Case, Ricardo Genoves, Matt Winn
Infielders - Gio Brusa, Manuel Geraldo, Ryan Howard, Francisco Medina, Beicker Mendoza, Jalen Miller, Brandon Van Horn
Outfielders - Mike Edie, Sandro Fabian, Jacob Heyward, Ronnie Jebavy, Franklin Labour, Jose Layer, Ismael Munguia, Heath Quinn, Diego Rincones

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the list I have on Rule 5 eligible guys in the farm (names in bold are most likely to be added, in my opinion):
Pitchers - Abel Adames, Justin Alleman, Luis Amaya, Caleb Baragar, Deiyerbert Bolivar, Greg Brody, Sandro Cabrera, Israel Cruz, Tyler Cyr, Dylan Davis, Camilo Doval, David Graybill, Norwith Gudino, Ryan Halstead, Jasier Herrera, Jorge Labrador, Brandon Lawson, Mac Marshall, Jose Marte, Rodolfo Martinez, DJ Myers, Adam Oller, Jesus Reyes, Nolan Riggs, Patrick Ruotolo, Gregory Santos, Heath Slatton, Caleb Smith, John Timmins, Jesus Tona, Garrett Williams
Catchers - Andres Angulo, Bryan Case, Ricardo Genoves, Matt Winn
Infielders - Gio Brusa, Manuel Geraldo, Ryan Howard, Francisco Medina, Beicker Mendoza, Jalen Miller, Brandon Van Horn
Outfielders - Mike Edie, Sandro Fabian, Jacob Heyward, Ronnie Jebavy, Franklin Labour, Jose Layer, Ismael Munguia, Heath Quinn, Diego Rincones

Hm. Not sure how I missed some of those guys.

Doval and Santos could be interesting.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm. Not sure how I missed some of those guys.

Doval and Santos could be interesting.
Okay, so I went back to research those two and I did get them wrong. I had Doval at 19 years old when he signed but he was actually 18. Santos, I thought, had signed earlier in 2015 but it wasn't until late August. So both won't be needing protection until next year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so I went back to research those two and I did get them wrong. I had Doval at 19 years old when he signed but he was actually 18. Santos, I thought, had signed earlier in 2015 but it wasn't until late August. So both won't be needing protection until next year.

Okay cool, I'm glad because those would be some tough calls this year, but next hopefully they're easy!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Walgreens, but the offseason officially begins today.

In addition to replacing their manager and filling their GM vacancy, they're also going to have to find a new bullpen coach. Matt Herges has been hired as the new pitching coach for the D-Backs.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Walgreens, but the offseason officially begins today.

In addition to replacing their manager and filling their GM vacancy, they're also going to have to find a new bullpen coach. Matt Herges has been hired as the new pitching coach for the D-Backs.

Congrats to him and congrats to the Nats. Another team that can say they've won a title more recently than the Dodgers.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to him and congrats to the Nats. Another team that can say they've won a title more recently than the Dodgers.

When the Dodgers won their last title, there wasn't even a team in D.C.

Bwahahaha

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my life time, the dogs are 2-5 in the World Series and the the Giants are 3-2.

But...

They lost the year I was born. Not a bad way to enter the world.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't even born yet. Not that that matters much

But you have seen 3 Giants Championships. Without having to be soiled with a blue parade.
Count yourself lucky SFGRTB. Growing up, I would hear all the time from Dodger fans about how they've won 5 titles since moving to LA and "when was the last time the Giants won it since the move?" I got tired of that worn line. The Dodgers still have more titles on the West Coast (which is why I don't want to see any more titles for the Dodgers in a long time) but they stay pretty quiet since the last title was in 1988 while the Giants have pulled out 3 in 5 years.