• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NBA Offseason

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd try and start around the same time, get rid of all-star weekend and just space games out a bit more while aiming for an end of around July/August.

They dont want to end that late again

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to ease into it, but you are going to have jumble games around due to Covid.

so you need a bigger runway of time for games to be played.
I agree.

There doesn't seem to be a good option here that won't potentially take a meaningful toll on the physical and mental well-being of the players:

1.) If they start on the earlier side (Xmas)... the off-season will be very, very short.

2.) If they start on the later side (MLK day?)... the season will be more compressed... meaning more games on short rest.

-----------

The best solution in terms of health, therefore, would be to lessen the number of regular seasons games... however, that means less money for the league and the players... and ultimately no one tends to choose an option that hits them in their pocket book.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,496.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because i'm female, maybe it's because i've never played professional sports.

But this "2 months isn't enough time off" sounds like complete bullshit to me when it comes to starting the next season.

It's not like they're only getting paid $11 an hour
And they had a 4 month break over halfway through the season.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

There doesn't seem to be a good option here that won't potentially take a meaningful toll on the physical and mental well-being of the players:

1.) If they start on the earlier side (Xmas)... the off-season will be very, very short.

2.) If they start on the later side (MLK day?)... the season will be more compressed... meaning more games on short rest.

-----------

The best solution in terms of health, therefore, would be to lessen the number of regular seasons games... however, that means less money for the league and the players... and ultimately no one tends to choose an option that hits them in their pocket book.

i am curios if they can make enough money with say an 8 team single elimination tourney for the #1 pick rather than the 20 minute tv segment on lottery result night

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am curios if they can make enough money with say an 8 team single elimination tourney for the #1 pick rather than the 20 minute tv segment on lottery result night

A few problems with this.

1.) Who is in? Just the teams that didn't make the bubble? Or do you include the teams that were in the bubble but didn't make the playoffs?

2.) How do you "seed" the tournament?

3.) If the team that wins the tournament gets the #1 seed...what happens when you have the Warriors out there with Steph, Klay and Dray?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few problems with this.

1.) Who is in? Just the teams that didn't make the bubble? Or do you include the teams that were in the bubble but didn't make the playoffs?

2.) How do you "seed" the tournament?

3.) If the team that wins the tournament gets the #1 seed...what happens when you have the Warriors out there with Steph, Klay and Dray?

bottom 8 teams

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe something along the lines of what someone else suggested earlier?

A "soft start" on Christmas. Followed by a full start on MLK day. It's about 3 weeks from Christmas to MLK Day. They could have the non-playoff teams and maybe a couple of the "bubble teams" that only lasted the first 8 games start on Christmas. Those teams play maybe 2 games per week. That would put the playoff teams about 6 games behind. That could be made up over the course of the first half of the season.

The playoff teams may have to have more back to back games until everything is caught up.

The NBA usually likes to put the "stars" and "glamour teams" out there on Christmas Day which, with the Warriors, Nets and even Pels...they could still have that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bottom 8 teams

That still leaves the questions of how you would seed them and with a fully healthy Warriors, it would seem to be a near lock as to who gets the #1 pick. Even in a single elimination tournament.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That still leaves the questions of how you would seed them and with a fully healthy Warriors, it would seem to be a near lock as to who gets the #1 pick. Even in a single elimination tournament.

the warriors weren’t fully healthy, even this year. And wouldn’t be in the tournament next year

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the warriors weren’t fully healthy, even this year. And wouldn’t be in the tournament next year

But if they held the tournament this year, the Warriors would be in and they would be healthy.

Also, virtually every season there is a team that narrowly misses the playoffs because they had a top player or 2 get injured and don't get them back in time to make it.

But then they get that player back for the tournament?

I get it as a way to maybe cut back on tanking and even as a possible additional revenue stream for the league. But it just seems like it would be very difficult for a team that truly needs a #1 or #2 pick to get that pick.

Honestly, teams have shown they are going to tank and there really isn't a lot the league can do about it. Imo, they should just go back to the old way of worst record picks first and go from there in order. The lottery just feeds more of the "rigged" narrative.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the "benefit" of injuries
Spurs got Timmy that way

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they held the tournament this year, the Warriors would be in and they would be healthy.

Also, virtually every season there is a team that narrowly misses the playoffs because they had a top player or 2 get injured and don't get them back in time to make it.

But then they get that player back for the tournament?

I get it as a way to maybe cut back on tanking and even as a possible additional revenue stream for the league. But it just seems like it would be very difficult for a team that truly needs a #1 or #2 pick to get that pick.

Honestly, teams have shown they are going to tank and there really isn't a lot the league can do about it. Imo, they should just go back to the old way of worst record picks first and go from there in order. The lottery just feeds more of the "rigged" narrative.

well to base anything on this year would be insane.

Those guys were not going to be back in april. yes they would've been back in July.

to throw the baby out with the bath water for this year is like how the league overreacted to like 7 things, with almost impossible odds, to perfectly align for the warriors to get KD.

adding an injured reserve would be a start though.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"injuries"

And yes I'm still bitter over all that bs by the spurs
Right, the Warriors were faking with Klay and Curry. #lightyearsahead

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that loss to the Cards was crazy. lol short QB vs. SHORTER QB. gotta admit I didn't think Kyler had what it took to make it, but he proved me wrong last Sunday...
why I think it's crazy to dismiss a guy because of height. When shorter guys are worthy of being picked high in the draft they don't fail at nearly the same rate as bigger QBs. This does not mean all things equal that shorter is better or that there are a lot of short QBs playing well in the NFL.

But other than Manziel, I really cannot think of many short QBs expected to go in first round or 2 who were failures.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo plus a December 22nd start isn't 2 months off for the teams who made the finals. Training camp would likely start end of November so more like a month and half plus they were just in basketball mode for a whole year which isn't normal. Even when the season was suspended, they still had meetings and needed to stay in shape. I don't think they're asking much to get another month off after the year they just had
agree not asking for too much....but on the other side NBA might not be asking too much to ask they do something that might take a little greater toll. Especially since they had 3 months without a game and some have not played since March.

Guessing the players wont want to lose too much of their salaries....they will probably want to play later AND complain they aren't getting paid regular salaries. Gonna need some give and take.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the "benefit" of injuries
Spurs got Timmy that way
true...but they didn't play a tournament to get him with Robinson back for that tournament. Honestly, though, not sure how much this even helps GS. Not like they barely missed the playoffs and were looking at the 11th pick. They already have the 2nd best shot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why I think it's crazy to dismiss a guy because of height. When shorter guys are worthy of being picked high in the draft they don't fail at nearly the same rate as bigger QBs. This does not mean all things equal that shorter is better or that there are a lot of short QBs playing well in the NFL.

But other than Manziel, I really cannot think of many short QBs expected to go in first round or 2 who were failures.

I think there is a legit reason for that though.

When shorter QB prospects aren’t dismissed because of their height, it is because they typically have every other trait scouts are looking for in spades.

Those prospects are usually superior players just to be in consideration at those spots.

And we will never know if Manziel could have succeeded. His personality/work ethic/lifestyle torpedoed him before he ever had a chance.

Then again, that is all part of the package.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a legit reason for that though.

When shorter QB prospects aren’t dismissed because of their height, it is because they typically have every other trait scouts are looking for in spades.

Those prospects are usually superior players just to be in consideration at those spots.

And we will never know if Manziel could have succeeded. His personality/work ethic/lifestyle torpedoed him before he ever had a chance.

Then again, that is all part of the package.
This is all true, but to me it uncovers a flaw in a way. Give me smart and accurate all day over big and/or big arm.