• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NBA Offseason

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be an unusual timeline with the offseason with the Draft, Free Agency and who knows even with the new season starts. Here's some news to get the topic started

Pretty much expected this if you've been following along

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be an unusual timeline with the offseason with the Draft, Free Agency and who knows even with the new season starts. Here's some news to get the topic started

Do we really blame him

"Built not bought"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded their 1st round pick for Brogdon...I thought they were building, not buying lol
To be fair, "bought" in this sense means signing big FAs. Trades are probably ok.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, "bought" in this sense means signing big FAs. Trades are probably ok.

Trades and draft picks works. I guess they will have to trade for a star...they have as much of a chance as CLE. Actually I would say CLE has a better shot bc of that championship and Gilbert willing to spend

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bummer. But expected. Hope some teams gives him a nice contract.

That is the problem with free agency in sports.

Guy plays really well for a few games in the playoffs, then signs a contract for significantly more than he is actually worth and becomes a cap burden to the “winner” of the bidding war.

The best values are always:

1) Max players who are actually worth it
2) players on rookie deals
3) vets playing on cheap deal for whatever reason

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the problem with free agency in sports.

Guy plays really well for a few games in the playoffs, then signs a contract for significantly more than he is actually worth and becomes a cap burden to the “winner” of the bidding war.

The best values are always:

1) Max players who are actually worth it
2) players on rookie deals
3) vets playing on cheap deal for whatever reason

Exactly. And looking at his career numbers he's been in the league for 7 years now. Only once has he started 70+ games. Never averaged 14 ppg in a season. I think he's damn good role player. But some team out there will overpay. There's no doubt about that.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure he gets more than the big MLE.

which team with cap space has room for him? Especially the summer before everyone chases the big fish.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this being said, Grant is what Boston needs right now. But they don’t really fit salary wise

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at the Celtics offseason and see a few key needs:

1) shooting - this team needs to add some 3 point shooting somewhere, I would prefer the stretch 4, but really even bench shooting is needed.
2) help at center - I would assume Kanter is gone, Poirier is completely useless, and they need some more help to defend modern 5s.
3) backup PG - having a Derek Fisher type (3 and D) point guard to spell Kemba would be ideal.
4) bench depth - this team needs some guys who brad can trust to give minutes to so the core team isn't gassed in the 4th qtr. They played by far the most minutes of the playoffs.

Assets:
Pick 14
Pick 26
Pick 30
Pick 47

Mid-level exception
Bi-Annual exception

they have cash to buy some picks (more on this later)

FA: the celtics will not have cap space to sign any major FAs.

They barely have any roster space right now. I think 3 spots if they don't guarantee Semi and Javonte Green's deals. Plus Wannamaker is a RFA at 31, which is the typical age where PGs start to drop off. But they need to figure out what they'll do there. My guess is they won't be spending all 3 picks in round 1 this year.

Let's get started:

Mid-Level Exception:
Last year they used this on Kanter and I think they could go big again. I'm thinking guys like Milsap, or Ibaka or maybe Marc Gasol. However, the rockets, Lakers, Raptors, and Warriors will all be looking at similar guys as well. There will be lots of competition here. But this would be the best use IMO.

Bi-Annual:
I've said in the playoff thread they needed a james posey type. at first I thought Justin Holiday but he isn't good enough on D to deserve that. but he would provide shooting and size to guard the 2 and 3. But a wing who shoot better than green or semi would be ideal. But that's the challenge there. I just question if either of those guys would shoot enough to get more playing time. This could also be a spot to find a new back up PG, maybe a Trey Burke.

The Draft

This is a time for some wild, wild stuff. I doubt Danny uses all 3 picks in round 1. I don't' know if he trades up from 14 to land the USC center, or if he does a move similar to last year where he turns a late first and salary (in this case Poirier, last year it was Baynes) for a first next year. I'm ok with that. I als wouldn't mind trading 26 and 30 together to land a big time foreign stash like Poku, who has more upside than most of the draft, but is a HUGE risk. I don't think he's a very danny pick though. But the upside of him is worth the gamble. He almost certainly has to get past Denver and probably Dallas IMO. Or maybe the deal is with Dallas, who will need to move the pick in some form to get max cap space for next summer. However, I wouldn't' be upset if Danny took Poku at 14.

I'm not sure how high they'd have to move up for the USC center, he could reasonably go anywhere from about 2-9 and none of them would shock me.

For 26 and 30, guys who are Danny type picks are guys who tend to be stronger than average for their position. Getting 2 of the Grant Williams upperclassmen who can contribute now types (including at PG) and stashing Poku at 14 is a very real possibility IMO. Taking a legit backup PG who projects as a positive form day 1 could be huge, of the guys on the board at the time (Terry, Lewis, Jones, Pritchard, Winston) my guess is Flynn or Pritchard. If Danny doesn't do that but could buy either Pritchard or Flynn in round 2 would be excellent as well. I also could see Danny taking Tillman as he's the kind of guy who could defend Bam, even if he's a little shorter than one would like (he's got a condor like wingspan).

Some guys I really like in round 2:

Paul Reed- if the shooting coach can do anything with him, he's a hell of a steal. His shooting is really the one thing holding him back right now. To me he's a good two way guy who can get time to develop his shot and not take up a 15 man roster spot.

Trevelin Queen - a guy who is a bit older, but his rebounding, block and steals numbers are off the charts for a prospect...and he can shoot the 3. Honestly wouldn't hate him at 30 if it had to be done. But I'd rather 47 or a bought pick. Most mocks i see have him falling to 47 though.

Isaiah Joe- I did say Boston needs more shooting right?

Something else to consider: Boston will be capped out for the next few years, so trading future firsts is not ideal because drafting talent is going to be the only way to find affordable valuable players. So I would avoid doing that.

@LogicMan
@Gman

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...Or maybe you don't know your ass from a hold in the ground when it comes to Pacers basketball.

Work is still a grind and I could be doing much better things with my day off, but this one forced my hand.

Jared Weiss is a Celtics writer that has zero inside sources when it comes to the Pacers. Here was where the rumor transpired:

Hayward won’t be opting out of his contract unless he has a long-term extension in place, which will be hard for a 30-year-old with a concerning injury history. Indiana is still home for the Haywards, and with Victor Oladipo looking to move on this offseason, according to sources, and Myles Turner possibly in the same boat, there could be an opportunity for Ainge to move Hayward and the abundance of draft picks in his war chest in a mutually agreeable way. Boston won’t have cap space again with three stars locked up long-term, so moving Hayward or Marcus Smart presents one of the few opportunities to get back a player making starter-caliber money.

Weiss: Celtics loss is disappointing, but this team still has a promising future

I'm not saying Oladipo won't leave as a free agent next summer. In fact, I called it as a possibility long before anyone else on this board did. That said, I would much rather let him walk as a free agent than to take back unnecessary salary in a potential trade for him.

See you folks down the road.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Or maybe you don't know your ass from a hold in the ground when it comes to Pacers basketball.

Work is still a grind and I could be doing much better things with my day off, but this one forced my hand.

Jared Weiss is a Celtics writer that has zero inside sources when it comes to the Pacers. Here was where the rumor transpired:

Hayward won’t be opting out of his contract unless he has a long-term extension in place, which will be hard for a 30-year-old with a concerning injury history. Indiana is still home for the Haywards, and with Victor Oladipo looking to move on this offseason, according to sources, and Myles Turner possibly in the same boat, there could be an opportunity for Ainge to move Hayward and the abundance of draft picks in his war chest in a mutually agreeable way. Boston won’t have cap space again with three stars locked up long-term, so moving Hayward or Marcus Smart presents one of the few opportunities to get back a player making starter-caliber money.

Weiss: Celtics loss is disappointing, but this team still has a promising future

I'm not saying Oladipo won't leave as a free agent next summer. In fact, I called it as a possibility long before anyone else on this board did. That said, I would much rather let him walk as a free agent than to take back unnecessary salary in a potential trade for him.

The fuck are you even talking about?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you understand that hayward is also a FA after next year, so there's no unnecessary salary besides really price matching with the nba salary cap.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fuck are you even talking about?

He has no idea. He had Oladipo in his plan after they "trade for Giannis", so obviously he thought he would be there and want to be there. He wants out of Indiana like every other player lol. So they will either get an expiring contract like Hayward with something attached for Oladipo or he walks in 2021.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice tantrum.

Now shut up.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has no idea. He had Oladipo in his plan after they "trade for Giannis", so obviously he thought he would be there and want to be there. He wants out of Indiana like every other player lol. So they will either get an expiring contract like Hayward with something attached for Oladipo or he walks in 2021.

Well he has one year left on his contract, and the Pacers won't trade him just for the sake of getting something back. Certainly not for Kuzma, KCP, and bullshit second rounders.

Giannis is also unlikely to be traded, but if he declines his extension anything is possible and it may sway the Bucks to entertain offers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Giannis and Oladipo as a long term pairing may persuade each on a long-term commitment.

Again, unlikely as a trade may be, but market won't be an object if those two were able to find themselves on the same team.

Stick to your college football.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he has one year left on his contract, and the Pacers won't trade him just for the sake of getting something back. Certainly not for Kuzma, KCP, and bullshit second rounders.

Giannis is also unlikely to be traded, but if he declines his extension anything is possible and it may sway the Bucks to entertain offers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Giannis and Oladipo as a long term pairing may persuade each on a long-term commitment.

Again, unlikely as a trade may be, but market won't be an object if those two were able to find themselves on the same team.

Stick to your college football.
Why the hell would Kuzma ande KCP be involved in a trade for Oladipo?

No one has suggested the Lakers as a trade partner for him that I've seen.

Looks like you're just on here showing your ass...again.

Stick to your jr. high school girls basketball.