• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Hawks Offseason Thread:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good... We have a lot of young and unknown talent on the DL... but we really need them to stay healthy this year. I'd still love to grab a 1 year deal out of Clowney or even Snacks Harrison as we had one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.
I am still not convinced we have moved on from Clowney. He has to be smarter than Leveon Bell, so I can't see him sitting out the year and passing on ~$10M. And should he decide it's time to find a team, I think we have as good a shot as any.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things I picked up today on radio and watching the livestream of practice:
  • Darrell Taylor is not only unable to practice, but he hasn't even been able to run. I fear he may be this year's LJ Collier?
  • Speaking of LJ, I haven't heard too much about him, but these DEs got some praise for recent practice performance: Bruce Irvin, Benson Mayowa, Alton Robinson.
  • The week 1 starting OL is projected (or at least speculated) to be, from L to R: Brown-Iupati-Finney-Lewis-Shell.
  • Jordyn Brooks was back out on the practice field today. As I understand it, he missed time recently with a slight groin issue.
  • Colby Parkinson is projected to be back at full go in practice before the end of camp.
  • The defensive speed is noticeably improved, as observed by Dave Wyman.
Our first game is 3 weeks from Sunday in Atlanta. Will we have the OL in a "good enough" posture by then? Do the Falcons have any game-wreckers up front? This seems like a particularly bad year to have 3 new starters on the line, but at least we are sort of used to it by now.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks offered him a 15 million contract wayback at the start of all this stuff. Right now i am sorry but i am ready to move on. Is a guy that gets 3 sacks worth 15 mill per? yes he is disruptive but his best days are behind him. Time to move on and find some pieces to plug and play. Let someone else pay him and then have him play 60% of the games while being injured for the other 40%. He is a great player but he is not a top 10 DE and needs a top 10 DE to be paired with. His production has never been all that great as far as sacks go. Run stuffing Dlineman are easier to find and he is more that than a pass rusher. Also he is showing that he is more about him than his love for the game. The Hawks have stated MANY times they want guys that LOVE to play. Clowney may have loved to play now he just wants to be paid. His focus is not on football any more.

time to move on and i think thats what the Hawks did. They expect big growth from the young guys but it shouldn't be to hard to replace "3" sacks ... it will be harder to replace the disruption he caused though.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want to add also with how this season might turn out it might be best to NOT sign him period.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is crazy he would rather not play this season than get paid 15 million? Nobody will give him a payday a year later not having played football. I truly believe he is not confident in himself to put together a great season to justify getting paid and will try to force things right now. I think he lost in this offseason he will regret going about it this way.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still for signing him for the right cost. I don't get upset with players looking for the big payday, it's a business and making what you can, while you can is OK. That's not to say I want the team to simply give players what the players think they are worth. Far from that, just leave the emotions out and do what best for the team/ roster.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign him. It's only a 1yr contract and the line needs that upgrade on the edge.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign him. It's only a 1yr contract and the line needs that upgrade on the edge.

Well if he's open to a one year offer. I image a team or two have tried to lure him with a short term offer. He's about the last DL of quality left, so really hoping the Seahawks snag him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if he's open to a one year offer. I image a team or two have tried to lure him with a short term offer. He's about the last DL of quality left, so really hoping the Seahawks snag him.

At this point a 1yr deal is all that's left on the board. I think 15mil could land him unless there becomes a bidding war.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now the Hawks have a little more than 11 million in cap space taken in the top 51 ( thats what counts against the cap ) and there is almost zero doubt that the salary cap goes down next year. Not worth signing Clowney for a 1 year contract in a season that is pretty much a lost cause. The play on the field will look like college at best in my opinion because of the lack of practice and preseason games. Nah no sense in carrying someone that is not 100% committed in a season like the one we are going to get this year. Rumor is 175 million cap for 2021.

good thing is when you look at the 2021 FA list not many but maybe 1 or 2 are worth resigning.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how this could be viewed as a lost cause type year. We are playing against only teams that also haven't had pre-season games. Having the best team possible is still a thing. Adding someone like Clowney on your team makes you better than not doing it, with all else being equal. And in case we forgot, Clowney joined the team last year at the very end of pre-season and hadn't been practicing with Houston before that. So if he's not "100% committed" now then he wasn't last year either, but he was definitely a difference maker in several games.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add, I think this season is going to be dictated by established QBs maybe more than ever. Teams that are trying to grow around a young player under center or have a bunch of changes on offense are going to take a lot longer than usual to get it all working, in my opinion. Great opportunity here to make a run at the SB given who we have playing QB, so we should go all in to maximize our chance to win.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and for those that want a little bit of how it went.

Quarterback Russell Wilson completed 8-13 passes in his two series, capping the first with a 10-yard TD pass to DK Metcalf.

Backup QB Geno Smith completed all eight of his passes in two series in leading the number two offense to a touchdown (on a pass to tight end Jacob Hollister) and a field goal.

i am not 100% sure but i think they had the #1 O against the #1 D and the #2 O against the #2 D

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OOF! Ok the Seahawks #1 offense went against the #2 Defense and had to convert 5 3rd downs on a 18 play drive to score their only points, a TD to DK on 3rd down, they converted 5 of them in that drive ( against the #2 Defense ) the Seahawks #2 Offense was MUCH more successful going against the #1 Defense scoring points on both Drives and Smith going 8 for 8! no matter how you look at it this was ugly for the #1's both on offense and defense. the #1 defense couldn't get off the field and the #1offense had to convert 3rd downs 5 times and took 18 plays to score their lone TD. Nice to see they were converting but that was only for the first drive the second one yeah they didn't get that "luck"