• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Hawks Offseason Thread:

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like bullshit.
Yea I’m not going to tell you the guys username either because that makes it even less believable and I don’t want to ruin the fun

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rumor certainly has come from left field. If true, I wonder if Cleveland has been floating trade MG behind the scenes.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I’m not going to tell you the guys username either because that makes it even less believable and I don’t want to ruin the fun

Yeah. I know his handle. It's funny but doesn't exactly convey legitimacy.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I couldn’t care less if it were true. It’s the off-season and this is the most movement on the board since the draft.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cool thing is no one will take this guy seriously ever again.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, it was a nice thought.
Yea it was fun while it lasted, now I get to go back to the thought process of how the Seahawks pass rush is going to be even worse than last year

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it was fun while it lasted, now I get to go back to the thought process of how the Seahawks pass rush is going to be even worse than last year

I'm still in the mind set one of the three or four things still could happen. If this is our line come week 1 than there's problems.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in the mind set one of the three or four things still could happen. If this is our line come week 1 than there's problems.
I'll be very surprised if one of these 3 things don't happen before we play a real game: 1) Griffen signs, 2) Clowney signs, or 3) we make a trade for a DE.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be very surprised if one of these 3 things don't happen before we play a real game: 1) Griffen signs, 2) Clowney signs, or 3) we make a trade for a DE.

Same here. Right now I'd rank it as

1. Griffen signs
2. Trade for Yannick
3. Clowney resigns cause the door is still open

Reactions: JMR

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't like Norton as a D coordinator, I like him overall as a linebackers coach, brings good energy and get's guy's ready from a moral standpoint... But calling the X's and O's as a D coordinator isn't helping our cause...

• 31st in punts per drive
  • 32nd in third-downs forced
  • 32nd in early-down first downs
  • 26th in red zone defense
  • 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in yards after catch allowed
  • 29th in tackles for loss in passing situations
  • 29th in missed tackle
  • 26th in run defense by DVOA

This is pathetic, and I'm not sure why Pete accepts this... We've fallen a long way down since the LOB .... But still, we can at least be in the middle of the pack somewhere and not near the bottom...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Norton as a D coordinator, I like him overall as a linebackers coach, brings good energy and get's guy's ready from a moral standpoint... But calling the X's and O's as a D coordinator isn't helping our cause...

• 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in missed tackle

This is pathetic, and I'm not sure why Pete accepts this... We've fallen a long way down since the LOB .... But still, we can at least be in the middle of the pack somewhere and not near the bottom...

I don't care if we had Vince Lombardi as our defensive coordinator, this defense is never going to be good with the current DL or the one we had last year.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in missed tackle

Somehow it seemed teams converted 3rd and long more times than 3rd and short. Frustrating as hell.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow it seemed teams converted 3rd and long more times than 3rd and short. Frustrating as hell.

When you have no pass rush you are susceptible to big pass plays. Too many times a QB would have 4 or even 5 seconds to throw the ball which is just too long in the NFL.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have no pass rush you are susceptible to big pass plays. Too many times a QB would have 4 or even 5 seconds to throw the ball which is just too long in the NFL.

Have to hope these guys take a big step up from last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to hope these guys take a big step up from last year.

Same here.

I know I sound like a broken record Debbie Downer type about the DL. But honestly, I'm not being pessimistic. I'm not hand wring over our team.

I just see the trend line of our defense and I see little reason to think it will be any better this year. I generally liked our draft picks. I liked our Dunbar trade. While I'm probably a little higher on Flowers than most, there is no question that having another solid vet corner will improve the secondary. And I think that our safeties will improve as a group as well.

But our DL was abysmal last year. Collier was a non-factor, Green was ok at times and invisible at others, Reed was a pale shadow of his 2018 self, Ford was fine in his limited role, Ansah was horrible and Clowney ranged from absolutely dominant to irrelevant.

Unless Collier makes a huge step up or Taylor is a monster rookie, there is just not much reason to think it will be any better this year.

@JMR is confident that we will do something that will do something to address. I'm about 50/50 on it.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in missed tackles

i cut those out to really point at something that hurt this defense a LOT last season. The Pressure rate was just crappy, thats not really the DC issue when you have players out there like Clowney these guys were not creating or performing like they should. The Yards allowed after a catch was stupid and the missed tackles allowing more yards in the running game and receiving game and was the worst i have ever seen on a Pete Carroll coached team. This team last year was the worst tackling Seahawks team i have even seen.

We know this team teaches a wrap and role tackle and i saw to many players going to the POW i knock you down with out wrapping up type hits. I trust Norton to be better and i know he will. But my god the players last year were slow, missing tackles not getting pressure. They are doing the same stuff that Richards taught them and Quinn and Bradley. This is nothing new they need to execute better. They need better talent also and i hope this draft helps.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here.

I know I sound like a broken record Debbie Downer type about the DL. But honestly, I'm not being pessimistic. I'm not hand wring over our team.

I just see the trend line of our defense and I see little reason to think it will be any better this year. I generally liked our draft picks. I liked our Dunbar trade. While I'm probably a little higher on Flowers than most, there is no question that having another solid vet corner will improve the secondary. And I think that our safeties will improve as a group as well.

But our DL was abysmal last year. Collier was a non-factor, Green was ok at times and invisible at others, Reed was a pale shadow of his 2018 self, Ford was fine in his limited role, Ansah was horrible and Clowney ranged from absolutely dominant to irrelevant.

Unless Collier makes a huge step up or Taylor is a monster rookie, there is just not much reason to think it will be any better this year.

@JMR is confident that we will do something that will do something to address. I'm about 50/50 on it.
I do think we will make 1 more move to help the DL. I also think that even if it's Clowney, this line won't be any good if he's the only notable performer on it. The pessimism I see in your description of the line comes from assuming that none of those guys like Reed, Collier, Green, etc. are going to be anything better than 2019 (and I know you haven't stated that word for word, but that's the tone/impression of almost all of your DL posts). If Reed isn't closer to this 2018 season than 2019, if Collier doesn't show why the team was so high on him a year ago, if Green doesn't make another step forward, etc., then we are still going to have a tough time up front. We also need something more from Irvin/Mayowa than what we got from Ansah last year. I don't think we need to hit every single one of those, but we need some or most to see much improvement. I hesitate to include the guys we just drafted because I'm always reluctant to count on rookies, but Darrell Taylor and/or Alton Robinson having unusually productive rookie years would of course help. I dunno...you say you aren't being pessimistic but that's definitely what I see when you talk the DL. It seems like you discount the idea that we'll get anything from those players that we didn't get in 2019. I think it's nearly impossible not to, collectively, due to how poor the overall showing was.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think we will make 1 more move to help the DL. I also think that even if it's Clowney, this line won't be any good if he's the only notable performer on it. The pessimism I see in your description of the line comes from assuming that none of those guys like Reed, Collier, Green, etc. are going to be anything better than 2019 (and I know you haven't stated that word for word, but that's the tone/impression of almost all of your DL posts). If Reed isn't closer to this 2018 season than 2019, if Collier doesn't show why the team was so high on him a year ago, if Green doesn't make another step forward, etc., then we are still going to have a tough time up front. We also need something more from Irvin/Mayowa than what we got from Ansah last year. I don't think we need to hit every single one of those, but we need some or most to see much improvement. I hesitate to include the guys we just drafted because I'm always reluctant to count on rookies, but Darrell Taylor and/or Alton Robinson having unusually productive rookie years would of course help. I dunno...you say you aren't being pessimistic but that's definitely what I see when you talk the DL. It seems like you discount the idea that we'll get anything from those players that we didn't get in 2019. I think it's nearly impossible not to, collectively, due to how poor the overall showing was.

I could see Reed bouncing back to 2018 form. I could see Collier making a huge leap. I could see Green taking the next step. I could see Irvin/Mayowa being productive players.

The problem, for me, is that we need ALL of those things to happen. And I just don't see that happening.

If we assume that the Hawks get Griffen or Golden or some other player along those lines then I expect the DL to be better than it was last year but still well below average. If if Clowney comes back and stays healthy it seems that the best case scenario for the DL would be adequate.

But do you honestly think this team is a Super Bowl contender right now? Is it one if we bring in Griffen or Golden? A healthy Clowney might be the best shot we have but even then this defense isn't likely to be dominant

It is what it is. I'm not blasting JS or PC and demanding changes. I understand the situation they are in and ultimately, our defense may never be good again unless they hit the jackpot on a draftpick or two.