• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Hawks Offseason Thread:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Parkinson isnt fast enough to be a reciever so he will probably be just an option near the goal line. I really dont see the logic in drafting him either.

If we can do two things in signing Griffin and somehow get Josh Gordon back on the field the Seattle Seahawks are going to be one freaking loaded unit next season

I actually liked the Colby Parkinson pick a lot.

I know these are just highlights, but he's a guy who uses his size really well. I think he'll be an excellent red zone threat, especially if the Seahawks are able to use him properly. He's not going to use his speed to break open, but with how often the Seahawks run play action with everyone running vertical routes I think he can be a threat on seam routes where the outside WRs open things up in the middle. He uses his size and ball skills very well.

The obvious downsides are that he's not a good blocker and as you mentioned he lacks quickness and speed. I do think that he compensates for that though in the ways I mentioned above.

I don't ever see him being a starter due to his lack of blocking ability, but I do think he can be a useful weapon in certain situations.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love former UW players, I don't think Fuller is going to make the roster. I don't think he's good enough to be a punt returner or a receiver to justify using a roster spot on him.

Yah I think you're right. I imagine the only reason Seattle brought him on is for a chance at a return role. That said, I'm thrilled with that because our return game last year sucked ass.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I think you're right. I imagine the only reason Seattle brought him on is for a chance at a return role. That said, I'm thrilled with that because our return game last year sucked ass.

I think we've been spoiled with guys like Tyler Lockett, Golden Tate and Leon Washington making magic returning kicks and punts.

Given all the rule changes the past few years to prevent concussions, kick returning doesn't really impact the game as much as it used to. When it comes to punt returns, I'd just prefer a guy who doesn't muff/fumble the ball and can create something whenever the team out punts their coverage.

Overall I just think that the return game these days is more about not fucking up than making plays.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've been spoiled with guys like Tyler Lockett, Golden Tate and Leon Washington making magic returning kicks and punts.

Given all the rule changes the past few years to prevent concussions, kick returning doesn't really impact the game as much as it used to. When it comes to punt returns, I'd just prefer a guy who doesn't muff/fumble the ball and can create something whenever the team out punts their coverage.

Overall I just think that the return game these days is more about not fucking up than making plays.

True... but anything to get Tyler Lockett to STOP returning kicks (injury) and improve our ability in that area is a positive. I agree it's less impactful, but man we started with some crap field position last year more often than not..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. And we might go with 5 TEs. Just seems like a lot and means we almost certainly would have to give up guys like Ursua and/or Moore.

I would be surprised if we went with 5 TEs. I think that it'll be Olsen, Dissly, Parkinson and Hollister. I think the 4th spot would come down to Hollister or Luke Willson. That would mean that Willson and Stephen Sullivan would be the odd men out.

Sullivan is more of a developmental player who I think will end up on the practice squad. I think they'd pick Hollister over Willson as I believe Hollister is just a better player with higher upside. They likely signed both Hollister and Willson in the case that they didn't land a TE in the draft.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True... but anything to get Tyler Lockett to STOP returning kicks (injury) and improve our ability in that area is a positive. I agree it's less impactful, but man we started with some crap field position last year more often than not..

I agree as I don't want to see Lockett get hurt.

IMO the reason we started with crap field position was just because the defense wasn't very good. Can't rely on the return game to compensate for the defense being unable to get off the field.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree as I don't want to see Lockett get hurt.

IMO the reason we started with crap field position was just because the defense wasn't very good. Can't rely on the return game to compensate for the defense being unable to get off the field.

Yah but when our defense did stop or we were returning kickoffs after a score, it seemed like we were ALWAYS pinned deep... if we were at the 30+ yard line IMO it was a pleasant surprise.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually liked the Colby Parkinson pick a lot.

I know these are just highlights, but he's a guy who uses his size really well. I think he'll be an excellent red zone threat, especially if the Seahawks are able to use him properly. He's not going to use his speed to break open, but with how often the Seahawks run play action with everyone running vertical routes I think he can be a threat on seam routes where the outside WRs open things up in the middle. He uses his size and ball skills very well.

The obvious downsides are that he's not a good blocker and as you mentioned he lacks quickness and speed. I do think that he compensates for that though in the ways I mentioned above.

I don't ever see him being a starter due to his lack of blocking ability, but I do think he can be a useful weapon in certain situations.

Also what a lot of people think about when they draft a TE that is very tall they immediately want to think about Jimmy Graham however with Jimmy it is not spoken about how extremely athletic he was for tall guy being that he was a basketball player. He could run pretty well, jump high to extend his arms and leap into the endzone. He was more than just height.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah but when our defense did stop or we were returning kickoffs after a score, it seemed like we were ALWAYS pinned deep... if we were at the 30+ yard line IMO it was a pleasant surprise.

As I said I think that returning kicks doesn't make as much of an impact as it used to with the rule changes. Seems like these days returning the kick is a worse option than just taking a knee in the endzone and starting at the 25 yard line.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said I think that returning kicks doesn't make as much of an impact as it used to with the rule changes. Seems like these days returning the kick is a worse option than just taking a knee in the endzone and starting at the 25 yard line.

yes but when they DID try to return them it didn't work out so well for the Hawks. Also can't take a knee really on punts lol. I mean you can but .. The hawks were one of the WORST return teams and those are hidden yards. Think of it like this had the Hawks returned the ball say 1 yard more in the 49ers game on the final drive that fell 2 inches short... well thats a TD

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also what a lot of people think about when they draft a TE that is very tall they immediately want to think about Jimmy Graham however with Jimmy it is not spoken about how extremely athletic he was for tall guy being that he was a basketball player. He could run pretty well, jump high to extend his arms and leap into the endzone. He was more than just height.

It's funny you bring up Jimmy Graham because I see a lot of similarities between Jimmy Graham and Colby Parkinson.

Similar body types, both poor blockers and both great on jump balls. I'd say the two biggest differences are that Parkinson doesn't drop the ball as much as Graham and that Parkinson doesn't have remotely the athleticism that Graham had.

I see Parkinson as a guy who can do what Jimmy Graham did in the redzone, but really not much more than that. Parkinson can be useful when he gets a 50/50 ball or when he finds a soft spot in zone coverage but I don't see him getting open in man coverage.

For what it's worth, I see Will Dissly as being less athletic than Colby Parkinson and the Seahawks somehow found ways to make him useful the pass game. For all my UW love, I always thought that Will Dissly would be an elite blocker while being mediocre on pass plays.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes but when they DID try to return them it didn't work out so well for the Hawks. Also can't take a knee really on punts lol. I mean you can but .. The hawks were one of the WORST return teams and those are hidden yards. Think of it like this had the Hawks returned the ball say 1 yard more in the 49ers game on the final drive that fell 2 inches short... well thats a TD

Fair enough. I really do just believe that returning kicks and punts these days is more difficult than it used to be. I always hold my breath on punt returns because I feel like that's the most likely time a player will fumble the ball if they don't call a fair catch.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I really do just believe that returning kicks and punts these days is more difficult than it used to be. I always hold my breath on punt returns because I feel like that's the most likely time a player will fumble the ball if they don't call a fair catch.

Remember when special teams play was always an adventure!?! there was something about them because you never knew what was going to happen. Now it's like 99% meh. ( not counting FG attempts lol)

I would like to see a stat that shows what the chances are to score a TD from say the 35 yard line is compared to the 25. Seattles ASFP ( Average starting field position ) was the 27 ranked 21st in the NFL. They ranked 7th in PPD at 2.30 so now improve that ASFP and your PPD will go up

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 out of the top 5 best at ASFP were #1,#2, #3 in PPD.

YIKES oops my bad those are the 2018 stats ... ok where is the 2019

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm looking at on the Football Outsiders site, the Hawks were 4th in the NFL in starting field position in 2019. That doesn't mean we couldn't stand some improvement in the return game, but I don't think starting field position was some big problem last year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks ranked 29th in Kick returns so that can without a doubt be improved, and 24th in Punt returns. there is no doubt the Hawks Special teams return game last season was one of the worst in the NFL. Had they been say 15th or better they might have had 1 or 2 more wins. Those hidden yards can be big.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naz Jones was released, I didn't see that one coming.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that in a way is a good thing. Parkinson has more football experience and still was able to be a Graham type player. Imagine if Graham put half the work into becoming a NFL players that Antonio Gates did. Parkinson gets compared to Graham, sure but a better comparison to his on field play in Tony Gonzalez. Not saying that it what his career will end up being, but that is more the comparable when it comes to athletic ability.