• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Hawks Offseason Thread:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. On the bright side a lot of players had injuries or down year last season and at least a few will rebound I would think.

I think an entire year of Quandre Diggs and Quinton Dunbar could help the secondary. I was really impressed by Diggs and Quinton Dunbar (if he stays healthy) played really well for the Redskins last year.

The optimist in me is hoping that the addition of Dunbar and an entire year of Diggs will help offset what looks like what could likely be a regression in our already poor pass rush.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I'd be surprised if they bring Clowney back, even if it's just on a one year deal for a number of reasons. (1) They'd have to work some magic to create $17m-$20m in cap space. (2) They signed Mayowa and Irvin. (3) They know if Clowney walks, they likely get a 3rd round comp pick. (4) If Clowney is looking for a 1-year "prove it" deal, he might be better off joining a team where he won't be double teamed every snap.

I worry about the Seahawks pass rush in 2020 because if Clowney isn't brought back or if we don't sign Everson Griffen, I think our pass rush will be worse than it was in 2019.

If the Seahawks have accepted that their DL is more or less as is, then let's hope that the season doesn't happen because we have no chance at a Super Bowl. The only possible thing that might happen is Russ gets a serious injury.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks have accepted that their DL is more or less as is, then let's hope that the season doesn't happen because we have no chance at a Super Bowl. The only possible thing that might happen is Russ gets a serious injury.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off season is still young and I suspect the FO will add an edge rusher by FA and hopefully our first pick in a couple of weeks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine

I am not a doom and gloom kinda guy. I would hope that my past posting history would make that clear.

But does ANYONE really think this team, as currently constructed, has a real chance to be a Super Bowl contender? Sure we were 11-5 last year, but that was entirely on Russ' heroics.

I like the Dunbar move. I don't mind the Mayowa and Irvin get the band back together moves. But we had one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL last year. And right now it appears that we are going to let our best defensive player walk and replace him with a bunch of guys that do the same thing. Undersized edge rushers that can't stand up to the point of attack.

So sure, assuming that the season plays out as normal, this team will be a playoff team again most likely next season. But we will be a 1 or 2 and done team again if our DL remains the same. You just will never be a Super Bowl winning team with a bottom 5 DL.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a doom and gloom kinda guy. I would hope that my past posting history would make that clear.

But does ANYONE really think this team, as currently constructed, has a real chance to be a Super Bowl contender? Sure we were 11-5 last year, but that was entirely on Russ' heroics.

I like the Dunbar move. I don't mind the Mayowa and Irvin get the band back together moves. But we had one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL last year. And right now it appears that we are going to let our best defensive player walk and replace him with a bunch of guys that do the same thing. Undersized edge rushers that can't stand up to the point of attack.

So sure, assuming that the season plays out as normal, this team will be a playoff team again most likely next season. But we will be a 1 or 2 and done team again if our DL remains the same. You just will never be a Super Bowl winning team with a bottom 5 DL.

there’s a lot of room between we have a bad defensive line and let’s hope the seasons cancelled. Just saying...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The off season isn't even over... With how bad our DL was last season, I highly doubt their fine with going into the season with what we have right now on paper... I'm sure they have a plan, it just may not include Clowney... It's not Clowney or no shot at the SB...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. On the bright side a lot of players had injuries or down year last season and at least a few will rebound I would think.
Yep, some improvement is possible without bringing in a bunch of new players.

Jarran Reed's season was derailed by that suspension and never really got to where it was in 2018.

Cody Barton was a rookie who looked promising and may play a bigger role this year.

Diggs will be here the whole year instead of joining mid way.

LJ Collier didn't really have much of a rookie season after being hurt all camp and then not seeing the field all that much.

Rasheem Green was a 20 year old when we drafted him 2 years ago and took a decent step forward in 2019 and may still be on the incline.

Will those players expected to take a step up, we added Dunbar, Bruce Irvin, and Mayowa. Still will likely add either Clowney or Everson Griffen, and then we still have the draft as well as another wave of free agency after June/camp cuts.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently constructed? I'm very confident JS will make another major move or 2 to address the way the team is built. He always does, whether it's a draft pick, trade, FA signing, or a combo of all. And we have plenty of time to do it.

Just like you point out your posting history should make it clear you're not a doom and gloom guy, JS's track record of making the right moves to build contending teams should count for something as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there’s a lot of room between we have a bad defensive line and let’s hope the seasons cancelled. Just saying...

I was being facetious with that statement.

But I am legitimately frustrated with how this team is handling this offseason.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently constructed? I'm very confident JS will make another major move or 2 to address the way the team is built. He always does, whether it's a draft pick, trade, FA signing, or a combo of all. And we have plenty of time to do it.

Just like you point out your posting history should make it clear you're not a doom and gloom guy, JS's track record of making the right moves to build contending teams should count for something as well.

JS is a very good GM. He's done some great things. But he's certainly not been perfect.

Our inability to build semi-effective OL for several years hindered the chances for this. Now we are facing the same problem with the DL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we are facing the same problem with the DL.

And I think you're jumping the gun by saying this. You're asking for the benefit of the doubt while at the same time declaring JS screwed the pooch this off-season. Why are you in such a hurry to decide this is already a failure?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think you're jumping the gun by saying this. You're asking for the benefit of the doubt while at the same time declaring JS screwed the pooch this off-season. Why are you in such a hurry to decide this is already a failure?

It is entirely possible that the Seahawks will still resign Clowney. If they do, I will be somewhat more optimistic.

But if they don't, I think it will be extremely difficult for the Seahawks to improve their DL from last year which was a pretty weak group last year. Sure, maybe they will hit a home run in the draft but that is exceedingly unlikely.

Improving the DL should have been priority #1 for this offseason. And so far they haven't done nearly enough to improve. The draft is 10 days away. Not having your core team in place by then is very risky.

I am NOT declaring anything a failure. I'm saying that, as it stands, this has been an unsatisfactory offseason. I hope that changes.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tarvaris Jackson passed away last night in a car accident in Alabama.

This is such saddening news. Prayers with his family as they have to deal with this horrible situation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Improving the DL should have been priority #1 for this offseason
Yes it should of been. One of the reason I hated signing Olsen when they did, those kind of signing come last or should any how. However think resigning Reed, signing Irving = working on DL. Not really Seahawks fault Clowney was reaching on what he was worth and it's not the end if they don't resign him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being facetious with that statement.

But I am legitimately frustrated with how this team is handling this offseason.

Personally, the off-season has gone exactly how I expected it to go. The specific names may not have been in my mind, but the type of signings have been exactly what Seattle always does in free agency.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with over 3 months until the start of training camp, with the draft still ahead plus June 1st and even camp cuts, we have decided that improving the DL wasn't the top priority? Why is that -- because we weren't able to force Clowney to accept our terms yet? What DL signings or deals did we miss out on due to tertiary moves like signing Greg Olsen? (and btw, TE was a position just as injured as RB at the end of the year). We can still sign Clowney or Griffen, can still draft an impact player(s), can still make a trade (the Frank Clark move was made the day before the draft last year, and the Clowney trade was week 3 of pre-season). I guess unless we improved the DL and did nothing else then that means the DL wasn't the #1 priority?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it should of been. One of the reason I hated signing Olsen when they did, those kind of signing come last or should any how. However think resigning Reed, signing Irving = working on DL. Not really Seahawks fault Clowney was reaching on what he was worth and it's not the end if they don't resign him.

Irvin is a role player. He was a decent enough pickup. He and Mayowa are a improvement over Ansah but, again, that's a low bar.

My issue isn't really with the moves they've done, though. It's the deals they haven't done yet.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, the off-season has gone exactly how I expected it to go. The specific names may not have been in my mind, but the type of signings have been exactly what Seattle always does in free agency.
Yep, and I'm thankful for it. It's the smarter move. Those big FA contracts hardly ever work out the way you hope. Free agency is best used for plugging some holes with role players, not trying to add cornerstone players. The draft is for that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with over 3 months until the start of training camp, with the draft still ahead plus June 1st and even camp cuts, we have decided that improving the DL wasn't the top priority? Why is that -- because we weren't able to force Clowney to accept our terms yet? What DL signings or deals did we miss out on due to tertiary moves like signing Greg Olsen? (and btw, TE was a position just as injured as RB at the end of the year). We can still sign Clowney or Griffen, can still draft an impact player(s), can still make a trade (the Frank Clark move was made the day before the draft last year, and the Clowney trade was week 3 of pre-season). I guess unless we improved the DL and did nothing else then that means the DL wasn't the #1 priority?

You keep arguing in the hypothetical, J. Yes, things can absolutely change dramatically. And if they do, my opinion of this offseason will change.

It's not like I'm calling for Schneider to be fired.