• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for double post here. All they did for this article was harvest what we’ve been discussing on this board. We should have gotten a mention in the “by” line
That's true we should get a mention LOL! Maybe next article because there will be many more on the same subject.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to dig in! Starting with draftsite and a couple other things I read/remember..

John-Jason Peterka (LW/RW): Not a real big guy, and needs work on his skating. No thanks.

Mavrik Borque (C): Small guy, but a battler and pretty quick sounds like. One thing I read said he had some high offensive ability.

Connor Zary (C): High character, skill, work-ethic. Like those things. Good offensive instincts, 200 ft player. Maybe a touch slow.

Justin Barron (RHD): Big, shutdown d-type. Would like a higher upside in the 1st round.

Ridley Greig (LW/C): Smaller guy, huge pest, great skater. His bios read a lot like TK's did and he was taken about here. He was an early favorite of mine and is still up there for me. His dad is a Flyers scout also.

Lukas Riechel (LW): Offense only guy looks like. Not much defense or physicality. I doubt the Flyers go this direction.

Rodion Amirov (W): Great forechecker. Decent size (6'1 180). Good offensive pop. Would be interested if he's available.

William Wallinder (D): 6'4 185. Raw. Not really interested in that kind of development.

Noel Gunler (LW): Pure shooter/scorer. Sounds like he doesn't do much else. "Has absolutely no jam, aggression or intensity to his game". Perfect for Las! :lol:

Jacob Perrault (C): High end offensive abilities, but bad skater.

Sam Colangelo (C): Seems like the complete package offensive skill wise. But work-ethic questions.

Brendan Brisson (C): Relentless worker. Attacks the net. Does everything well, but nothing outstanding. Could see him as an option for the Flyers.

if the Flyers are high enough on him I wouldn’t mind the Barron pick. The prospect cupboard is bare at the RHD spot and he’s exactly the type of player they need right now.

I also would be good with the Zary pick. You can never have too many C prospects, and he ticks most of the skill set boxes that I think are most important. He’s a weird one in that different scouting reports give different evaluations of his skating. I don’t know what to believe having not actually watched him play.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any way we trade up in the draft this year?

I could see that. If someone they really like is available later than they expected, maybe they'll move up.

I could also see them moving the pick for NHL-ready talent too, but that would likely require some cap juggling first.

I either want a home run swing on a boom or bust type prospect; or for them to move it for NHL talent.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Flyers are high enough on him I wouldn’t mind the Barron pick. The prospect cupboard is bare at the RHD spot and he’s exactly the type of player they need right now.

I also would be good with the Zary pick. You can never have too many C prospects, and he ticks most of the skill set boxes that I think are most important. He’s a weird one in that different scouting reports give different evaluations of his skating. I don’t know what to believe having not actually watched him play.

Zary also seems to fluctuate position a lot too, which I guess probably goes with the skating evaluation. Those that think he's a good skater have him in the 10-15 range; those that think his skating needs work have him more in the 20-25 range.

I do agree with you on Barron. RHD is definitely an organizational need. For me, I'd rather see them fill that out with a later pick or two, rather than with their first rounder. Especially if it's on a guy that doesn't have much offensive upside. Even in the 20s, first liners and first d-pair guys can be had; they just come with more risk. With all the talent in the organization, what they're really missing is game-breakers. I say swing for the fences Chuck!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zary also seems to fluctuate position a lot too, which I guess probably goes with the skating evaluation. Those that think he's a good skater have him in the 10-15 range; those that think his skating needs work have him more in the 20-25 range.

I do agree with you on Barron. RHD is definitely an organizational need. For me, I'd rather see them fill that out with a later pick or two, rather than with their first rounder. Especially if it's on a guy that doesn't have much offensive upside. Even in the 20s, first liners and first d-pair guys can be had; they just come with more risk. With all the talent in the organization, what they're really missing is game-breakers. I say swing for the fences Chuck!

This mock draft has Barron still on the board when we pick.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you think a prospect like Kaiden Guhle will go in this draft? I did some reading on him and he would fit great with us imo.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you think a prospect like Kaiden Guhle will go in this draft? I did some reading on him and he would fit great with us imo.

I wouldn't be mad if they picked Guhle. There will probably be guys I prefer, because I want a higher ceiling, but sounds like he's got a pretty high floor. He's got good size and they'll need guys that can play sound defense (and laying the boom every so often is also fun). He's LH, so the way things are tracking he'd likely be stuck behind Sanheim and Provorov for the foreseeable future. But he reads kind of like another Robert Hagg (or Radko Gudas) to me, except he'll probably be a little bigger once he grows into his frame and maybe has a little better shot.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be mad if they picked Guhle. There will probably be guys I prefer, because I want a higher ceiling, but sounds like he's got a pretty high floor. He's got good size and they'll need guys that can play sound defense (and laying the boom every so often is also fun). He's LH, so the way things are tracking he'd likely be stuck behind Sanheim and Provorov for the foreseeable future. But he reads kind of like another Robert Hagg (or Radko Gudas) to me, except he'll probably be a little bigger once he grows into his frame and maybe has a little better shot.
I thought I read that he was a RH?

Oops! Nevermind. He does shoot left.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok @awaz . How about Braden Schneider? He is a RH and plays well with a two way style. He has the physical tools that we could use as a dman.

Drysdale is a pipe dream as he would be my top choice.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Provorov-Sanheim-Zamula-York. I can't see them going LHD at this point unless a player they absolutely love is sitting there. Or, a LHD who prefers the right side. It's hard to get info on who those guys might be.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking at the prospects that seem to still have an NHL shot by position (not in order)

C - Frost, Laczynski, Rubtsov, O'Brien, Bunnaman
LW - Twarynski, Ratcliffe, Cates
RW - Brink, Kase, Suhsko, Allison, Sandin,
LD - Zamula, York, Hogberg, Millman, Morin
RD - Friedman, Wylie, Attard
G - Ustimenko, Sandstrom, Ersson

So, pretty solid depth of potential NHL-ers at each position really. I would say C, RW, and LD have the best chance at top of the lineup guys with Frost, Brink, Zamula, and York. So if you're going by need, I would say they're looking for top of the lineup guys at LW and RD.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provorov-Sanheim-Zamula-York. I can't see them going LHD at this point unless a player they absolutely love is sitting there. Or, a LHD who prefers the right side. It's hard to get info on who those guys might be.

Great point. Didn't get it all together until I looked through the organization depth chart. Could've just waited for you to post!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok @awaz . How about Braden Schneider? He is a RH and plays well with a two way style. He has the physical tools that we could use as a dman.

Drysdale is a pipe dream as he would be my top choice.

Reading just some general stuff about this draft, it sounds like high end d-men are few and far between, so I'm a little concerned that to get one of them, you'll have to reach for them. And I think that's always a risky play. His profile reads well though. One that I just read on The Athletic was that there's some concern that he's just more physically developed than the kids he's playing against.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. I posted about Zamula and York below before i read your post.