• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I've decided I think the best course of action is to move Ghost. Clear his 4.5M, you can probably get a middling pick for him, but the cap space is the key. I think JvR is too complicated to move and you'll have to give up too much, either in assets or retained salary, just to get rid of him. Keep him this year, expose him next year and hope. By moving Ghost, you can be a few million under the cap, bank it like crazy and load up for a big move at the deadline next season. See if there's a big name rental available, unload picks/prospects, and really make a run. Then you have the first half of 2020-21 to asses what needs you have. Right now 3C is the biggest question mark, but maybe Patrick or Frost come out like gangbusters next year and the real need at the deadline is a top 4 dman.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Lindblom - Hayes - Konecny
JvR - Patrick (2M) / Frost - Farabee
Raffl - Laughton - NAK (1.075M)

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers (3M)
Hagg (2M) - Friedman (.725)

Hart
Elliot (2M)

Cap Total (before scratches) 75.525

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to be patient and see what teams are up against financially in signing some of their players. I think we could find someone who is a conundrum and maybe reach out on a long term lucrative deal. I think patience is the key but if all else fails you still have Ghost to dangle in a decent package deal. Dumba is gonna be a no for me.
Our GM said we arent going after free agents and if we add someone it will be via trade. Like you said it will most likely be Ghost.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's closer I think, but probably still not there. I don't think Columbus moves Jones for anything other than a high impact, NHL-proven player. I think to get CBJ to consider it, you'd have to include Konecny (+) or Couturier.
If they keep Seth Jones they are going to have to pay him big money and they have no draft picks to speak of which will bring them young good players not making much money. If i were them id look to move either Jones or Werenski. To us.:thumb:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I've decided I think the best course of action is to move Ghost. Clear his 4.5M, you can probably get a middling pick for him, but the cap space is the key. I think JvR is too complicated to move and you'll have to give up too much, either in assets or retained salary, just to get rid of him. Keep him this year, expose him next year and hope. By moving Ghost, you can be a few million under the cap, bank it like crazy and load up for a big move at the deadline next season. See if there's a big name rental available, unload picks/prospects, and really make a run. Then you have the first half of 2020-21 to asses what needs you have. Right now 3C is the biggest question mark, but maybe Patrick or Frost come out like gangbusters next year and the real need at the deadline is a top 4 dman.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Lindblom - Hayes - Konecny
JvR - Patrick (2M) / Frost - Farabee
Raffl - Laughton - NAK (1.075M)

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers (3M)
Hagg (2M) - Friedman (.725)

Hart
Elliot (2M)

Cap Total (before scratches) 75.525
For me the biggest question mark with this team posted is that its basically the same team we had last year and we got bounced. Is this team good enough to win a cup ?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to hear rumors that the Yotes may be parting ways with Ekman-Larsen. Wonder what it would take to land him, better option then Dumba IMO, but he's lefty.
I would love to have him but he is 29 and is signed for $8.25 for 7 more years.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our GM said we arent going after free agents and if we add someone it will be via trade. Like you said it will most likely be Ghost.
I think if we go after a bigger player a trade may not be enough to get it done. Like I was saying, if our GM was smart he'd be looking at teams who are cash strapped and are going to lose a quality no.matter what.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me the biggest question mark with this team posted is that its basically the same team we had last year and we got bounced. Is this team good enough to win a cup ?

I think Patrick or Frost could be an upgrade on the rotating 3C of Laughton, Grant, or moving Giroux back to C that we dealt with this playoff season. But moreso, I would look at the trade deadline as an opportunity to really make that improvement. If they're 2-3M under the cap at the beginning of the season, they'll have cap space to add anyone they want at the trade deadline, regardless of salary.

For example, Ryan Getzlaf's contract expires after next season. If he doesn't re-sign ahead of time, and the Ducks suck, he could be interested in waiving his NMC to go to a contender. The Flyers would have banked the cap space to cover his 8.5M deal and they have draft picks/prospects to add someone of that caliber.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, Flyers are really close with a fully healthy Lindblom and Patrick. A year under their belts is a big help. Hopefully AV will take a hard look at his playoff performance and not over coach. I still think he panicked. He was really big on 'adapting' to the competition. I'd argue that if we are strong enough and disciplined enough, we play our game and force the opponents to adapt to us. Islanders force us to play their game. Flyers were successful ONLY when we forced them to play ours, which was fleeting at best.

Based on all the CAP conversation, we can play the market, vs. forcing the market. Ghost is the only exception. He is of higher value outside the Flyers system, than he is in our system. I'm not smart enough to know whose system he is best suited for, but it's not ours.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Flyers are really close with a fully healthy Lindblom and Patrick. A year under their belts is a big help. Hopefully AV will take a hard look at his playoff performance and not over coach. I still think he panicked. He was really big on 'adapting' to the competition. I'd argue that if we are strong enough and disciplined enough, we play our game and force the opponents to adapt to us. Islanders force us to play their game. Flyers were successful ONLY when we forced them to play ours, which was fleeting at best.

Based on all the CAP conversation, we can play the market, vs. forcing the market. Ghost is the only exception. He is of higher value outside the Flyers system, than he is in our system. I'm not smart enough to know whose system he is best suited for, but it's not ours.
Ill agree but this only works if Patrick comes back and is healthy. If not we have a big hole to fill.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill agree but this only works if Patrick comes back and is healthy. If not we have a big hole to fill.

I see them as having two chances at filling that hole. Healthy Patrick, or growth from Frost. Which is a great spot to be in going into the 20-21 season compared to a lot of other teams that either have big holes and no cap space or prospects to fill them; or teams that are solid but either over the cap or can't re-sign some of those pieces because of the cap.

Then if Patrick/Frost don't work out, you have a ton of cap space and assets to plug the hole at the deadline. And the perk of a deadline add like that, is you don't have to burden your 21-22 cap because it's likely a rental that's off the books next summer. And if Frost or Patrick do work out, you can use that cap space and assets to improve in another area.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see them as having two chances at filling that hole. Healthy Patrick, or growth from Frost. Which is a great spot to be in going into the 20-21 season compared to a lot of other teams that either have big holes and no cap space or prospects to fill them; or teams that are solid but either over the cap or can't re-sign some of those pieces because of the cap.

Then if Patrick/Frost don't work out, you have a ton of cap space and assets to plug the hole at the deadline. And the perk of a deadline add like that, is you don't have to burden your 21-22 cap because it's likely a rental that's off the books next summer. And if Frost or Patrick do work out, you can use that cap space and assets to improve in another area.
And just think In two months we will be watching hockey again!!! :yes:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be a boring offseason for the Flyers, with most of their hopes pinned on a return to health for Lindblom and Patrick and growth from their young players - barring a surprise trade, of course.

Forward - Wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran depth center/13th forward signed, perhaps even Nate Thompson re-signed for one year. You don't want young players sitting in the press box on a regular basis.

Defense - they need to replace Braun with a Braun-type RD, one with decent size who can anchor the PK and provide reliable 5 on 5 defense, preferably one with a tad more mobility though. But, wouldn't be surprised to see Braun re-signed for one or two years. I can't see them wanting to go into the season with the 3rd pairing being Ghost/Hagg and a scrub or rookie 7th d-man.

Goalie - hearing talk of re-signing Elliot, but I think that would be a mistake. Given the condensed schedule, teams will need a 1a and 1b, both of whom need to be capable of shouldering a heavy workload in the event of injury. I like Elliot, but time to move on given his age and injury history. Need a strong #3 option in LV, too. Lyon is an UFA.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be a boring offseason for the Flyers, with most of their hopes pinned on a return to health for Lindblom and Patrick and growth from their young players - barring a surprise trade, of course.

Forward - Wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran depth center/13th forward signed, perhaps even Nate Thompson re-signed for one year. You don't want young players sitting in the press box on a regular basis.

Defense - they need to replace Braun with a Braun-type RD, one with decent size who can anchor the PK and provide reliable 5 on 5 defense, preferably one with a tad more mobility though. But, wouldn't be surprised to see Braun re-signed for one or two years. I can't see them wanting to go into the season with the 3rd pairing being Ghost/Hagg and a scrub or rookie 7th d-man.

Goalie - hearing talk of re-signing Elliot, but I think that would be a mistake. Given the condensed schedule, teams will need a 1a and 1b, both of whom need to be capable of shouldering a heavy workload in the event of injury. I like Elliot, but time to move on given his age and injury history. Need a strong #3 option in LV, too. Lyon is an UFA.

I agree on the boring offseason. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Braun or a Braun-like guy signed for 2M or less to round out the d-corps. Personally, I don’t see them signing or re-signing a forward. I think the last couple spots come from within. Patrick, Frost, Laczynski, Sandin, Bunnaman, Kase, and maybe even a couple other guys. If it were me, I’d let them duke it out, rather than sign a Thompson-like player.

I’m fine with Elliot as the backup. But just, fine. I wonder what the goalie market will look like in this weird offseason. Particularly for a backup or a 1B-type goalie. It seems like the league is full of those guys these days.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the boring offseason. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Braun or a Braun-like guy signed for 2M or less to round out the d-corps. Personally, I don’t see them signing or re-signing a forward. I think the last couple spots come from within. Patrick, Frost, Laczynski, Sandin, Bunnaman, Kase, and maybe even a couple other guys. If it were me, I’d let them duke it out, rather than sign a Thompson-like player.

I’m fine with Elliot as the backup. But just, fine. I wonder what the goalie market will look like in this weird offseason. Particularly for a backup or a 1B-type goalie. It seems like the league is full of those guys these days.
A boring offseason for us isn't necessarily a bad one either. I say this because at least half of our projected 20 player roster (12F, 6D and 2G) are 24 years of age or younger as of this moment. These kids are going to learn, grow, strengthen and mature, especially now with two rounds of playoffs under their belt. And yes, competition within our franchise should be pretty intense for the last few roster spots.

If we're worried about Elliott being old at 35, then there aren't really any better and younger options via free agency. Perhaps Cam Talbot is better, but he's also 32. Khudobin and Lehner will be available too, but I figure they would want too much money.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering if the Flyers will at least consider signing UFA Trevor van Riemsdyk (Carolina) to replace Braun. Yes, the brother of THAT guy. He's a younger and more mobile RHD than Braun, but may not have the size the Flyers really need. He struggled last year, but from what I've been able to put together he had shoulder surgery after sustaining a playoff injury the year before, which caused him to miss training camp and the start of the regular season. He wasn't very good at first upon returning but apparently got better as the season went on. He plays a steady defensive game with some mobility, but has average size and little offensive pop.