• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Womens World Cup Thread

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time I’ve been able to watch most of the game.....very impressive. The possession, the creation (even on a day when not all creators were on the top of their game)....it all looked great.

I remember really liking aspects of Heaths game four years ago....though she seemed both raw and maxed out on her game. I was quite wrong. She clearly worked hard the last four years and is an amazing attacker. Such control and form with the ball.

As for FIFAs decision to make Heaths amazing goal an own goal.....

upload_2019-6-21_8-33-19.gif

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Heath is honestly our best player and I honestly don't think there us much debate to be had...

As for Dunn, her speed made her deadly up front, but the move back to the wing back position has really suited her, and really helped the team as well...

Some good matchups in the first round.... Sweden v Canada and Norway v Australia should be good....

Would like to think Brazil can give France a game, but from the start I've felt Brazil is old and surviving on reputation. People know Marta, so they think that means Brazil is better than they are..... nope.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure why I was thinking winning the group meant we would get France in the Quarters. Like they were going to come in second in their group playing at home.

Regardless....I like this better. Spain is another step up in quality (ok....maybe just even with Sweden) and its a good setup before semis against France. I don’t see Brazil handling them at all. But, at risk of cheering for Brazil (gross) I would love to see them in the semis over France. We knew how to handle Marta and crew at their best.

So then path looks like Spain, France and....I’m going to say Germany if we can make the final.

Though I will say, coming in second in group or not, I don’t discount Japan in knockouts yet. I expect semis to be US-France and Germany-Japan. And frankly, those semis could go any which way in my view.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our matchup with France would be in the quarterfinals btw...

16-8-4-2 dude... ;)

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure why I was thinking winning the group meant we would get France in the Quarters. Like they were going to come in second in their group playing at home.

Regardless....I like this better. Spain is another step up in quality (ok....maybe just even with Sweden) and its a good setup before semis against France. I don’t see Brazil handling them at all. But, at risk of cheering for Brazil (gross) I would love to see them in the semis over France. We knew how to handle Marta and crew at their best.

So then path looks like Spain, France and....I’m going to say Germany if we can make the final.

Though I will say, coming in second in group or not, I don’t discount Japan in knockouts yet. I expect semis to be US-France and Germany-Japan. And frankly, those semis could go any which way in my view.
US would meet France in the quarters, not the semis. Most likely USA v England in the semis

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our matchup with France would be in the quarterfinals btw...

16-8-4-2 dude... ;)

Son of a bitch.....me smart. Me know how to read brackets. Sheesh. Thanks for the corrections!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah, can someone explain to me the own goal ruling on Heath's goal? I have seen PLENTY of balls deflected by defenders much more than that that haven't been ruled "own goals"....

Odd call there.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knockout round begins tomorrow. Looking at the bracket I have a US/Germany final with the US winning it all.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Make it US-Netherlands and Germany-Japan in the semis.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah, can someone explain to me the own goal ruling on Heath's goal? I have seen PLENTY of balls deflected by defenders much more than that that haven't been ruled "own goals"....

Odd call there.

I wonder if it was because everyone got to look closely at the play due to VAR? That doesn’t make much sense as the official ruling has always been FIFA and they’ve always been able to take a close look and then decide which way to call it.

Very odd and I don’t like it. It sure if it could also be some weird type of “makeup” since they really had to look close at the possible offsides that could have gone either way live.

I think the big thing VAR is missing is irrefutable evidence rules. Unless I’m wrong they just aren’t there. The on field officials should make the call and than check the VAR. If it is not without a doubt to overturn it you don’t.

This could give them the room to allow a half step up or so by Goalies on PKs.

I just can’t figure how kickers can come up and stutter dance a fucking merengue....but the Goalie can’t take the slightest little step forward.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Heath is honestly our best player and I honestly don't think there us much debate to be had...

As for Dunn, her speed made her deadly up front, but the move back to the wing back position has really suited her, and really helped the team as well...

Some good matchups in the first round.... Sweden v Canada and Norway v Australia should be good....

Would like to think Brazil can give France a game, but from the start I've felt Brazil is old and surviving on reputation. People know Marta, so they think that means Brazil is better than they are..... nope.
I have a different take on Dunn. She made 2 bad mistakes last game v. Sweden. I would sit her, run Ohara, Saurbruen, Delkamper and Ertz on the backline. This would also solve the midfield issue allowing Mewis to continue. If Rose minuets become an issue, sub her out for either Dunn, move Ertz back up, or go Lloyd.

To an extent, I think Dunn is playing out of position. I get it, she is fast, she is attacking orientated, Team to this point hasn't really needed D. This could change. I was wanting Ali th o sub in last game for Crystal. Ertz is the best of both worlds, great D, and can hold/attack.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a different take on Dunn. She made 2 bad mistakes last game v. Sweden. I would sit her, run Ohara, Saurbruen, Delkamper and Ertz on the backline. This would also solve the midfield issue allowing Mewis to continue. If Rose minuets become an issue, sub her out for either Dunn, move Ertz back up, or go Lloyd.

To an extent, I think Dunn is playing out of position. I get it, she is fast, she is attacking orientated, Team to this point hasn't really needed D. This could change. I was wanting Ali th o sub in last game for Crystal. Ertz is the best of both worlds, great D, and can hold/attack.

No disagreement here. While I liked Dunn overall at the D wing....I don’t love her there. I would be fine with swapping her and Ertz.....I just know they aren’t going to do it.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunn was put at outside back primarily because we struggled mightily on D for a year or two. Ellis tried multiple options, though inexplicably never included Krieger. Trying to develop younger players, I suppose, but always felt the answer/s were staring her in the face... I don't know what Klingenberg did to fall out of favor... She was one of our best defenders in 2015...

Also, I'm sure the logjam up top played a part in moving Dunn back... I believe she WAS a wing back early in her career, so it isn't as though it was a brand new position for her.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VAR out of control already...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game between Norway/Australia.

Just became an Ingrid Engen fan.... :D

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game between Norway/Australia.

Just became an Ingrid Engen fan.... :D

Yeah, if anyone is watching this game and still thinks women can't play? Then there is no convincing them...

And yeah, Engen is..... nice.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if anyone is watching this game and still thinks women can't play? Then there is no convincing them...

And yeah, Engen is..... nice.
Yet... No pics...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking Carpenter for Australia myself....

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PKs here we come!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2